VAR in Review

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RedStar91, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    56’ CP:MU
    More VAR offside nonsense.
    I maintain it is impossible to make this call.

yes, computers can tell you if one player is nearer the goal line than another.

But they can’t definitively determine the “moment”. There is a margin of error there.

so however accurate they can be with closer, they cannot definitively say he was off.

it is a total fallacy

2. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Any thoughts on the disallowed goal in the Fire v Vancouver game this morning? Scrum on the goal line between two Vancouver defenders and one Chicago attacker. Goal allowed and then recalled for handling. In the multiple replays they showed, I can't identify anything clear or obvious to overturn the goal.

Don't have direct link to replay but there is a separate clip in the match highlights:
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...icago-fire-fc-vs-vancouver-whitecaps-fc/recap

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of what is "clear and obvious" on this call, the VAR/referee simply need to have video evidence that the ball touched Sapong's arm. The handling is accidental, and it's only an offense because a goal is scored, but the Law is not ambiguous, and this isn't a case where they're looking at the position of the arm or anything like you'd have with a more conventional handball offense. Screenshot_20200723-113031.jpg

JasonMa and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It hit the attacker's hand. Villarreal is clear in demonstrating that after the OFR. There's no controversy here. That's not a goal anymore.

And, you could make an argument it never was as that probably ticks the box for deliberate handling in the old days, though admittedly that would have been more debatable.

JasonMa and ManiacalClown repped this.
  5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps deliberate under the old Laws, but I wouldn't ever describe it as such now unless I was giving a caution for it.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right.

7. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Very aware of the changes to the LoTG in regards to scoring a goal and agree that was the decision.

I guess where I am getting hung up is I just don't see anything in the replays where I can definitively state that the ball touched the attackers arm. I would guess with 90% certainty it did, but I can't convince myself 100% based on the views in that replay.

8. Not a good weekend for the Dutch VAR.
    Two red cards were recinded, one for Ajax player Álvarez for stamping on his opponents leg and one for Sparta Rotterdam player Mica Pinto, who got red carded for preventing a goal with his arm.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red cards given via VAR were then rescinded by the league?

Or red cards given by the referee were rescinded after VAR intervention?

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I only know about the Ajax/Alvarez call. It was given after VAR urged a look by the CR.

11. I dunno how it's called in English but the players took a complain to the appeal court of the league. Red cards were VAR approved/instigated by VAR.

12. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Random thought of the day... after watching some la liga this morning and saw a few of the matrix- style 3D imaging that allows free rotation of the image, I wonder why such a thing is not used for VAR. set the last touch frame, then compile the 3D image, and rotate. It would be more accurate than setting the lines on the ground and guessing if body parts above it are in front or behind. Wouldn’t take any more cameras than exist, but I bet takes some significant computing power to do.

It could also serve as a virtual AAR for things in the left corner that are unsighted by both referee and ar.

13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    5 minutes (or more) of VAR today in Liverpool-Westham and they still got the call wrong.

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I didn’t understand that call at all.

if it is determined the defender doesn’t play the ball, I expected a pk.
    If it is determined the defender plays the ball, goal stands.
    I never expected a foul going out.

Liverpool have gotten the short end of VAR a lot this year.

15. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I thought it was ruled offside.

16. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    forward dives in with his cleats right at the GK who's on the ground. Seems like a simple foul call to me. I was fairly shocked it wasn't called in real time

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But it wasn’t right at the keeper. The keeper is well to the player’s right when he attempts to play the ball. The keeper comes across the leg. At no time were his “cleats right at the keeper”.

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  19. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Looks like a foul.

20. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    Have I been learning refereeing wrong all these years?
    Please someone explain how that is NOT a foul.
    BTW...we are talking TOT v BHA about 57 mins.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not sure why we are using this thread to discuss EPL when there is an EPL thread. I’m actually not sure why we are using this thread anymore at all. VAR is part of officiating now. To the extent it needs to be discussed, barring reforms to the system, it can be done in individual match or league threads so as to avoid confusion and duplication. Thread closed.

SA14mars repped this.
  22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The end of an era on the BS Referee forum.

jayhonk, Barciur, RefIADad and 1 other person repped this.