Vanney to DC - Bye Bye Erpfu

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jason1551, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Vanney to DC?!

Erpen's Aerial Circus was entertaining, but realize that he resorted to those "Erp-fu" moves because he was about to be turned and had no other choice. I don't think he was constantly trying to dazzle us as much as he was desparate to prevent his mark from steaming in on goal unhindered. And that happened often enough as it was. He had a demoralizing tendency to leave his feet and increase the burden on everyone else to bail him out.

That said, he sure was entertaining, and his offensive numbers (4 goals; 4 assists) were impressive.

2. slicendice

slicendice New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Waynesboro, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Goff says that Vanneys salary for this year will continue to go against the Rapids Salary Cap until the end of the year and Erpens salary will continue to go against United Salary Cap until the end of the year. He also said that United is having an 18 year old defender from Athletico Mineiro in Brazil coming in for trial next week. If United likes what they see, they will get him on loan.

3. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

1. We keep Erpen's salary cap number for this year, not Vanney's.

2. From Goff:

"United has arranged through its business partner in the Brazilian league, Atletico Mineiro, to bring in 18-year-old central defender VAGNER GEORGE SANTANA DA SILVA for a trial in the next week or two. As I understand it, if United likes him, they would be able to acquire him on loan for the remainder of the season and have an option to retain him next year."

He goes by Vagner, he's #14 in the program but #1 in your hearts.

Also, Goff says that DCU still retains the option to acquire someone more experienced internationally if the team decides to do so.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

I like this trade. So many people jumped to conclusions about there being no salary considerations and I think that aspect improves the trade a lot.

As I said and Goff reiterated, this is about winning now. Facundo Erpen has the chance to be very good, but he doesn't help United win a championship this year. Vanney isn't the best out there but United is getting him at a severe discount and he's a much more stable player than Facundo.

I like what Soehn has done. A lot of inconsistancy is gone without Adu (although TS didn't necessarily facilitate all of that), Eskandarian, and now Erpen being around. Young players can be composed and steady and the precedent is set now that you have to show up and play well often to play for United.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So we're bringing in a guy so renowned that he has to TRIAL with the team before we decide whether we want him on loan? Oy vey. My wrath is certainly not directed at you ........... but this doesn't smell right. Vanney is awful. And this year, Erpen was FAR better than Bobby Boswell. This Vagner dude better be better than what it SOUNDS like, because otherwise, it sounds like DC hosed themselves.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Discount? Vanney isn't worth his salary to begin with. If Vanney had dropped out of the sky, and showed up to a team for a tryout, he would probably be sent packing by several teams in the league without a contract offer......... so only having him on the hook for 115K doesn't seem like a discount to me. Erpen, for all his faults, is a better player.

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

That's your opinion, and not one that I agree with. Obviously we'll see how the team performs with someone less reckless in the back and we'll be able to evaluate it in the future.

I for one had grown very tired of Erpen's antics, capped off last night by his classless cheap shot on Peterson that should've been a caution at best and could've seriously injured the player. I understand being frustrated about getting burned by the guy, but you don't need to cleat him on the inside of this thigh so much that six seperate cleat marks are immediately visible on a non-HD television.

Would you pay over $200,000 for Facundo Erpen? Because Colorado is now.

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Talk about polishing a turd.

Thx,

Jay!

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But that's besides the point, because we WEREN'T paying 200,000 for Erpen. DC was paying about 115K for him. Should I feel better about the trade just because the Rapids are overpaying for someone? From what I understand, Dallas is the one paying the extra money anyway, and not the Rapids. The bottom line is that we have a lesser player for the same money. And we're left with the weaker performer from our 2 centerbacks this year (because yes Erpen has been far better this year than Boswell).

10. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva

the kid is only 18. he's for the long term, Vanney is the short term. :eek:

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Yep. I agree, i believe we should have gotten Pena, and maybe traded an erpen so we can get that young kid and just crossed out vanney completely if at all possible.

Pena would be great for the superliga, as hes proven in 10+years in la liga, and expereince with villreal being a starter all through the champions league for them almost making it to the finals. He'd be great to teach the guys to have ice in their veins during those big games and how to play it smart..... Come on dc if your listening!!!!

And he was by far our best defender in bolivias 2-2 draw.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I understand scarshins. My point is that anyone that we have to bring in for a trial is most likely not someone that we should believe is able to step in and give us minutes. And apparently, we're only talking about getting the kid on loan for this year and MAYBE next. So if he's just expected to be a body to throw in the reserve league, we're left with a Vanney for Erpen straight swap. And that's awful.

13. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva

yeah, I'm no Fanney van- I mean Vanney fan- and our D just got slower, which it doesn't need, and I thought Erpen had done OK this season... stepped up when Boswell was getting erratic.

14. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm still on the fence about this move, and I'll reserve full judgment until:

1. We see how Vanney works with United's remaining defenders.

2. We see who else comes in.

A positive aspect to the deal is that the teams are just switching bodies, and not contracts.

I wish Facundo well, though.

This actually could turn out well for both Facundo and Boswell. Neither one has had the opportunity to learn from an experienced vet (other than the first few weeks of 2005 when Petke was still here).

15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

I pray this deal is like the time we got Chris Henderson.

Thx,

Jay!

16. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with Sundevil. There is no way to judge a guy who has yet to even play a game yet. You just have to see how he fits in with the other defenders. I also agree that it might be positive to have a veteran for the other less experienced defenders.Colorado's exciting style of bunkering futbol certainly doesn't help him look good.

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First impression is bad deal. I have never been a Vanney fan.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While it's obvious that I rate Facu higher than Todd, and even given my great disappointment to see a player I really like leaving, I have to admit that these are good points. When the dust settles, this may actually turn out to be....gulp...a good trade. Maybe. At least it makes more sense now.

I'm still going to miss Erpen, no doubt about it. But now that I've digested the news, it's time to accept it and think rationally about it.

19. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

However he did have a lovely non active stare at Jacob Peterson as he headed home for the 1-0 lead. Let's not also forget his brilliant back header right into Peterson's stride only for Peterson to round Perkins and hit side netting.

I'll take one hand ball every year or two over the countless number of F'ups Erpen has caused.

Let's also remember that Tom Soehn, a life long defender, is the coach of this team and one has to think that in spite of the upside that Erpen has to offer, having stability in the back is more important for what he is attempting to do.

You may not like this trade right now, but you might feel better about it a few months from now.

Erpen, in spite of his improved play in the 4-4-2 system, continues to be a liability on the field.

Good move United.

20. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA

I agree with this more or less. I think Vanney brings both stability and versatility. He can play inside or outside (though I wouldn't want him outside against certain teams in this league with pacy right midfielders) and can serve a good ball. I like Facundo's upside as well, but that upside is going to cause potential roster problems next year when he graduates to SI status.

If the trade turns out to be a wash on the field, plus we get rid of a potential headache next year, I'd consider it a plus overall. Is Vanney in a contract year? If so, that helps as well.

21. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD

Thanks for the reminder.

A salient point, it is.

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you Yoda.

23. rockypere77

rockypere77 Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

well we will have to see this guy play and if there are any other trades/acquisitions on the horizon. But everyone knows I've been critical of Facu but he was playing decent recently. Maybe the formation helped him. Overall I think both guys have flaws and I don't see DC Holding onto Vanney for more than 2 years if that.

24. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ditto.

25. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

So, handling the ball in penalty box in plain view of a whole stadium (let's not mention that he played for the USA, past tense is key) is just minor (better for stability or somesuch).

What's his upside again?

Orange traffic cone would have been better.