Vancouver Whitecaps v Rapids Match Threatened by BC Place Strike

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by piltdownman, Oct 19, 2011.

1. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Workers at BC Place in Vancouver have issued a 72-hour strike notice, after talks with PAVCO broke down.

The earliest workers could walk off the job is Friday, which could jeopardize a Vancouver Whitecaps v Colorado Rapids match scheduled for Saturday afternoon. The Whitecaps have already moved Friday's practices out of the stadium.

The affected workers include those who perform maintenance, security, hosting, first aid and other skilled trades at the stadium.

The newly renovated stadium is also home of the CFL's B.C. Lions, which has 2 or 3 more home games and is scheduled to host the Grey Cup (Canadian Super Bowl) on Nov. 27.

More info here: http://2010goldrush.blogspot.com/2011/10/breaking-bc-place-nearer-to-strike.html

2. TFC17

TFC17 Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Could they go back to Empire for that game if they had to?

3. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    There is very little info here. One of the big questions the fans here have is if the players union are a 'real union', and would refuse to play behind a picket line. The next big question is what happens if they can not play at BC Place. They have already started tearing down Empire so it can not be used, and Swangard doesn't have enough seats for all season ticket holders. Would the Whitecaps be forced to forfeit? or would they just play the match behind closed doors at a smaller field?

Has this ever happened before?

4. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think it's already being taken apart. That stadium was a rental.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could fly both teams back to Colorado Friday night and play the game here. :D

Whatever happens, postponement is not an option as the Rapids have a playoff game Wed/./Thurs. and the location of that game may be dependent on the result of the Rapids-Whitecaps game.

7. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Empire is already being torn down. The Entire North stand and flat bit of the roof is already gone.

[​IMG]

8. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
  9. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    This was found in Sect. 6.1 of the CBA

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/collective_bargaining_agreement__final.pdf

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't know if they can do this or not. Play behind closed doors or forfeit, they'd have to refund their season ticket holders either way, I suppose.

11. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see the game moved to Colorado or some neutral location (portland available this weekend?) than played behind closed doors.

Heck, fly the teams to Houston or Chicago and give the fans at Robertson or Toyota Park a doubleheader this weekend.

(and yes, I realize the game will likely be played as originally scheduled, and this is just silly speculation)

12. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I wonder if MLS has a provision for this, as far as how it works for tiebreakers.

Thankfully, Colorado already holds the tiebreaker with Houston, the only other team that could tie them with a win.

But could you imagine if, say, the league awarded 3 points, head-to-head was even, and the number of goals awarded for that victory "won" or "lost" the tiebreaker for Colorado? Kinnear wouldn't stop talking for decades. Smith would stop batting his eyelashes at Europe and go for a full crotch grab.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the standard FIFA rule for forfeits is that it goes down as a 3-0 win for the non-forfeiting side. Not to say that MLS couldn't use a different rule of course.

14. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think some out-of-nowhere double header would actually be kind of awesome and hilarious.

15. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the Home Depot Center. They usually host a few odd soccer games each year that most other stadiums couldn't handle. Give the Chivas fans a double header this weekend. Any travelling Seattle fans could even have fun booing Vancouver.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salt Lake would probably come closest in replicating Vancouver's home fan advantage...

17. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget about the playoffs, the Wooden Spoon is at stake here!

18. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually that's something left entirely up to the competition authority--there's nothing in the laws that says anything about what "result" a forfeit causes.

19. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Then they would probably just default to FIFA's established rule. I doubt that making up something on the fly would sit well with anyway. They really should have something in their rules for this. Anyway would MLS want something like a forfeit to mar their reputation? Especially for a new member of the league which just opened their stadium?

20. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Public sector unions suck! Period!

21. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, take it to the political board.

22. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    The Whitecaps released a statement saying the match 'must be played one way or another'. If BC Place isn't available, my best guess is they will just play closed doors at Swangard. Not enough time to organize tickets and staff is why I say closed doors. Although I doubt they would put up scrimp to block people from watching through the fence. Which I think many of us will do if it comes to that.

24. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
  25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van needs to get it's shit together. First they f with RSL, and cancel a game after RSL had arrived, because of a friendly in July. Now this.