Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    From how I understand it now:
    A thousand lottery tickets were handed out with a prize of Nguyen; Vancouver got 476 tickets and Toronto got 383 tickets.

2. ironhorsewayne

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No, its a lottery but vancouver hid the highest % chance to win.

3. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It looks like the signing of Nguyen is confirmed:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Whitecaps+beat+rest+sign+international+Nguyen/5867497/story.html

A previous poster from Carolina said to expect Rennie to find talent in odd or unexpected places. This seems to fit that description (along with this bizarre lottery. You guys are right, it's strange. I wonder do the interested teams have to hop on one foot while touching their noses and reciting poetry backward in order to be eligible?)

I don't know anything about this player, but two things give me lots of hope:

1) I have a lot of respect for Gus Hiddink, and like that Nguyen was brought in and taught by him at PSV.
    2) I like the fact he's coming here to play his way back onto the US national squad. That should give him some good motivation to play hard.

4. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    I read about him online today and I partly felt bad for him since Hidink left PSV and the new head coach had not preferred him, and further more they had demoted him to play in the reserves.... professional soccer is pretty cruel but my main concern is that will he be able to shine again once he return to NA soccer?

Also another point is that alot of ppl are worried that Camilo is exiting because of the signing of Nguyen; I honestly these are two different matters. From what I know Nguyen is a winger/CAM. So i dont think he will take over Camilo's position.

5. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree--Camilio didn't shine when asked to play the wing, as his defensive skills are lacking. I see him in a purely attacking role next year. I think Nguyen isn't the main issue, though, as to whether or not Camilo returns. Contract and his own desire to possibly play elsewhere are bigger factors, I think.

After I posted yesterday, I found this article about a possible downside to Nguyen. The writer makes some good points. I'm not sure what to think (?)

http://www.eightysixforever.com/201...tecaps-acquire-lee-nguyen-in-weighted-lottery

6. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    didn't nguyen tried to get a transfer to arsenal (because his old club, hoang anh gia lai is arsenal's sister club)

7. VegasNYC

VegasNYC Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Australia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks as if Pyo will be playing right back for the Whitecaps with Rochat at left back. This new guy Bonjour will probably partner Demerit at CB. This signing seems to shore up the back line much better. A goalkeeper is most important from here imo. Then the superdraft very well could cover the rest of the squad well enough.

9. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  10. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i think that, given the improvements on defence, that their goalie, joe cannon, will have a good season-- i see no reason to spend $$$ bringing in another experienced goalie, but preparing a young goalie to take over in 1-3 years is really important... unless cannon has a significant injury, then the hunt is on

11. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    after the jarju debacle- which needs to be sorted out b4 the season starts-- i am confident that rennie has done his homework on this guy and he will be ready to play a good role in the mf

12. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Do you know if it was Rennie who did diligence on this man; or was it TS ?

13. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rennie has himself said that the Caps are on the lookout for another keeper.

14. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This article seems to suggest he may be a depth signing at center back:

http://www.eightysixforever.com/201...d-argentine-defender-martin-bonjour#storyjump

Given Boxall's inexperience, and Demerit's injuries and at times inconsistency last year, it may be a bit fluid in the central D to start the season. I like that he's big and aggressive, and that he can head the ball in both boxes. Mitchell can do that too. The Caps sorely lacked any aerial threat last year.

15. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree. Maybe bring up Sylvestre as back-up for part or all the season if he's healthy. I haven't seen him play, but have heard good things. And, because he's a homegrown player, his contract may not count against the cap(?), which would leave room for a bigger name for the DM position, maybe. That's where I'm hoping for a big signing.

16. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2VcYt1buGY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2VcYt1buGY[/ame]

17. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rejuvenated Chiumiento must produce
    - 24 Hours

I find the title of the article a little disingenuous considering the Rennie quotes in the article have nothing like the tone implies by the article title, but the article itself I found to be very heartening.

I count myself as a massive Dede fan, but - like all Caps fans last year - was ready to reach through my TV screen and give his ass a kick during some of the games I saw him play in. But this article makes me think that Dede is going to be happier under Rennie, and - for a player like Dede - happiness affects production. He is not a workhorse, he is more like an artist, and you can get a lot out of an artist if you make sure the conditions they are in are conducive to production. I said at the time of the Rennie hiring that I thought this is exactly what Dede needed.

Here's hoping.

18. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Does anyone know who will broadcast the rest of the games?

19. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're referring to the Pro Soccer Classic, tonight's game is on MLSsoccer.com still, and the Saturday final is on ESPN3.

20. canuckred

canuckred Member

Dec 15, 2007
    For Canadian viewers, I'd think the final is probably also on MLS soccer. If not I'd probably have heard some outrage by now.

21. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    http://tsn.ca/soccer/mls/

TSN will be showing it. Maybe prompted by the fact that there are 2 cdn teams in the final?

22. canuckred

canuckred Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Just saw that today, Cheers! TSN2 will show it on tape delay too. Prompted by the Canadian teams and possibly because ESPN owns 20% of TSN.

23. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    FORMER OLYMPICS CHIEF FURLONG TO GUIDE MLS' WHITECAPS

VANCOUVER -- John Furlong is the new executive chair of the Vancouver Whitecaps.

The former Vancouver Winter Olympics chief replaces Paul Barber, who left the team at the end of February.

The Major League Soccer club announced Furlong's appointment Thursday morning at a downtown hotel.

Furlong oversaw the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Prior to his appointment as the CEO of VANOC, he chaired Vancouver's Olympic bid group.

24. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    this an absolutely great move by the Caps owners-- a man who is a proven leader for developing big ideas, huge corporate connections, a love and understanding of the community, and a BIG soccer and Caps fan as well-- another step into building the Caps model in vancouver and beyond that the owners like greg kerfoot and steve mallet have always had-- a major upgrade from paul barber

25. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I think we can safely now say that the STENCH of Paul Barber has been washed away.