Vancouver now the frontrunner?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by morbital, Feb 20, 2009.

1. morbital

morbital New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    North Vancouver
    FC Barcelona's bid to bring a Major League Soccer club to Miami has long been considered the safest bet of all the expansion proposals. But on Friday, Barça director general Joan Olive said the tanking economy might threaten the club's plans to expand into the U.S.

"We want to enter the American league, but not at the cost of financial risk," Olive told Spanish daily Sport. "The chances of us not joining are higher than when we announced our interest."

full article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/02/20/barca.mls/

2. phreakydancin

phreakydancin New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It could be good news, although I suspect MLS would want one team from the East and one from the West, so that would mean that Maimi and Vancouver are not in direct competition with one another. From that perspective, this is probabaly better news for Ottawa, although putting a team there doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Also note the last line of the article:
    "It might also be a preemptive move to possibly negotiate down the reported $40 million expansion fee."
    This could be closer to the truth than the rest of the article would lead us to believe.

3. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just ask Montreal how that worked out.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I would say there is no front runner.

Portland could get their money at any time - makes them immediate front runner if it happens.

St. Louis just met with Garber last week to discuss a new investor.

5. SeattleNomad19

SeattleNomad19 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Littleport, UK
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I am pulling for Vancouver and Portland to both get in, then have Dallas and Houston move to the East.

Best of luck Vancouver!

6. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I like that scenario
    Having two texas teams in the east just would feel weird

I'd like St. Louis to get it if Barca pulls out
    But I'd also like both NW teams in the League and Montreal
    so, everything I like won't pan out

all of those 4 teams by 2012. Supah Dupah

7. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could do the central division again.

8. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't want to lose games v Crew
    but what a weak division Dynamo and Fire would rule over.

West and East would dominate in attendance

9. Goaler

Goaler Member

Bristol City, Slavia Prague, Pacific FC, AS Roma, Atletico Madrid, Vancouver Whitecaps, Philadelphia Union
    England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I would say that Vancouver is maybe more in competition with Ottawa, because I'm as sure as can be that Canada won't be getting 2 teams, right now I would say the actual front runners are St. Louis and Portland, if you are looking at the west.

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    East/West will not be a consideration in this decision. MLS has moved teams across conferences in the past and they can do it again.

11. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Right. Conference makeup is an artificial designation. MLS would not pass up a great franchise just for the sake of geographic dispersion.

12. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Would this not bring MLS to 16 teams anyways? Would it not be time to drop the whole Division thing and go with a 30-game Single Table format?

13. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Philly in 2010 makes 16. Two more in 2011 and you are up to 18.

A 34-game single table format? It's possible but MLS seems to like the 30-game season.

14. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Too bad. Last I heard FIFA considered an 18-team, 34 game schedule to be the preferred set-up. It's why he wanted England, France, Spain and Italy to drop two teams from their top division. You can imagine how seriously that decision was taken :D

15. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COME ON VANCOUVER! It would be sweet to have you guys in! You guys will sell just as many tickets as us, heck maybe even more.

I will be keeping a close eye on any news and Twittering and interesting links on my Facebook and Twitter site. Good luck! Seattlle is pulling for you! When you get in, I hope the keep the name Whitecaps it is synonomous with soccer in Vancouver like Sounders is to Seattle. :)

16. Goaler

Goaler Member

Bristol City, Slavia Prague, Pacific FC, AS Roma, Atletico Madrid, Vancouver Whitecaps, Philadelphia Union
    England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Well Miami has pulled out and it's rumored from a high source that Vancouver and Portland will be the cities who get clubs.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck Vancouver! I was a Sounder fan in the NASL days and remember well the thousands of Whitecaps fans that would regularly make the trip down to the Kingdome.

Oogie Oogie Oogie...Oi! Oi! Oi!

18. Goaler

Goaler Member

England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    A Sounders fan turned San Jose fan?

19. RJK1979

RJK1979 New Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Club:
    Whitecaps
  20. ken0sha

ken0sha Member

AS Roma and Whitecaps FC
    United States
    Dec 29, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this is happens. In fact, I hope any team that can offer a passionate fan base, with strong owners, and the opportunity to pack a stadium regularly get into MLS. I am convinced that what MLS needs to do is present the product better. Packed stadiums with knowledgeable passionate supporters will go a long way to helping make that presentation strong. Vancouver should be able to replicate a lot of what Seattle is doing in terms of support.

21. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moved to San Jose in 1994. Kind of followed the USL-1 Sounders, but became a fan of the MLS Earthquakes. Divided loyalties was easy when they were in different leagues. But, now when the two teams meet it will be the blue and black who I will be cheering for.

22. Goaler

Goaler Member

England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    As a Whitecaps supporter I actually wish that Vancouveer does not move to the MLS, the MLS is overrated, the USL is just fine competition and does a way better job of developing players, the MLS is all about the style, the USL is all about the substance.

23. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The USL is not in and of itself about player development. The Whitecaps as an organization are committed to player development. Your FO in fact has taken what MLS is just beginning to implement and gone a step further with it. Frankly the Caps belong in MLS at this point. I think your successful academy setup could be just the kick in the pants MLS needs to seriously revise how the academy system works currently, and hopefully when this crappy economy turns arouns strong academies are the impetus to bring back the reserve league. The league needs depth in the worst way and the Caps could help lead the way to developing that depth.

24. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Why do soccer fans worry so much about player development?

25. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Well for me I'm a fan of the national team too, so developing mostly Canadian talent is a great thing. Also there is something special about a youth that comes up through the system; something that you don't get from a hired mercenary from a far off land.