Vancouver Expansion Thread - News, articles, discussion

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by canuckred, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Shootdapuck

Shootdapuck New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I think if you were to place bets - most people would suspect Vancouver joins MLS starting 2011. Honestly, Do you really think the Whitecaps would negotiate a lease with BC Place if they were to remain in USL?

2. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    Absolutely.

If, as Lenaduzzi states, they are trying to "get back into the game" as far as MLS goes, they had to do something after the waterfront stadium deal stalled. Without an alternative stadium plan, MLS would be not be an option for several more years (when the expansion fee will be even higher).

Kerfoot knows this, takes out the lease in BC Place to demonstrate commitment, and works out favorable terms with the Crown Company, who is eager to get a stable tenant in a facility that has undergone a costly renovation. MLS takes notice and considers whether they want to bite on this scenario.

Is that hard to imagine? Especially in light of Lenarduzzi's comments?

Anything less would have meant walking away from MLS for a long time, and then trying to reenter at a later phase, when the expansion fee is at say $60m.

If you don't think it through, you think 'nah, he wouldn't sign a lease if MLS wasn't a lock.' But if you consider that if they don't get in now, the price goes up by tens of millions, then it's clear why a lease, which is much less than 10-20million + plus opportunity cost, etc, is a logical gamble for a man who can afford it.

At the same time, MLS is not keen on teams leasing large multi-purpose facilities. That's why this probably isn't a slam dunk, but the best option available right now.

3. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much here but worth a post...

www.MLSVancouver.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

Domain Name: MLSVANCOUVER.COM
    Registrar: DOMAIN NAME SALES CORP.
    Whois Server: whois.domainnamesales.com
    Referral URL: http://www.domainnamesales.com
    Name Server: NS1.15X.NET
    Name Server: NS2.15X.NET
    Updated Date: 19-jun-2008
    Creation Date: 26-jun-2004
    Expiration Date: 26-jun-2011

>>> Last update of whois database: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:35:32 EDT <<<

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
    registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
    currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
    date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
    registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
    view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

4. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why this was posted. I went to the link and it was for Multiple Listings Services in Vancouver. Did I miss something???

5. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    I suppose the intent was to associate the fact that someone has a parked page with MLS and Vancouver in the address with an indication that Vancouver has gotten the MLS nod?

MLSPortland.com and MLSSeattle.com have similar content, while MLSRochester.com has a much snazzier site. Could SoundersFC be relocating to Rochester?

6. Shootdapuck

Shootdapuck New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I suppose Kerfoot would probably have a clause to break the lease if his Whitecaps weren't getting MLS. Either way, Swanguard is way too minor league and BC Place is way too big for WC games.

7. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming you're joking, but in case you're not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_Listing_Service

Pretty much every city in the US with a population above 100k is going to have a ton of sites with MLS in the name that have nothing to do with Major League Soccer.

8. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Some of the people on this board are so pro-_______ (insert city here) that they are almost blind to the reality that Vancouver is getting a team.

I mean you're ignoring all evidence that this is a go.

Shootdapuck is absolutely correct. The Whitecaps wouldn't negotiate a 5 year lease with a 50000+ seat stadium if they were staying in the USL. The MLS has said that Vancouver would be a good fit. Lennarduzzi has said we want an expansion franchise. Owner Kerfoot has billions of dollars.

Its just abundantly clear that Vancouver will get a team. I really hope St. Louis and Portland and Atlanta and wherever else get a team too...........but if you do, you will be joining Vancouver as an MLS expansion team.

I was privy to a agreement where they said as much. I don't know when, I don't know the fee but this I do know..........Vancouver is in. Other teams? no idea. But Vancouver is in.

Rather than harp and grumble about Vancouver, try and be positive and help your own city get a team.

Finally...........in Canada MLS is Multiple Listing Service. Which is a pooled real estate site. If you go to www.mls.ca you will see what I mean. It makes sense that this outfit would register domain names. It also makes sense that Kerfoot would reserve a site like this. It doesn't matter....Vancouver is in.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

So what?
    This is true of a handful of cities. St. Louis is in, NYC is in, Montreal is in, etc.

The real question is WHEN.

10. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Which I have no problem with whatsoever. :)

11. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I understand your argument, and do concede that it is a possibility. My counter-argument is dead simple:

Unless you are from Vancouver, or know the Vancouver soccer scene intimately, you can not possibly understand Lenarduzzi's part in Vancouver soccer and the Whitecaps specifically. When you cut him, I really do think he bleeds white and blue. When the Whitecaps move into BC Place stadium, if they move in as a USL team and stay a USL team, the team will be out of business in less than 5 years. The team in its current situation simply will not draw the fans needed to make BC Place financially viable. That will kill the team. That would kill Bobby Lenarduzzi.

If anyone who advances the "BC Place does not equal MLS" argument can give me a reasonable explanation of how the WHitecaps can survive in BC Place without being granted MLS almost immediatelty, I will humbly admit your argument to be better than mine and therefore more likely. Until I hear a reasonable explanation of that, I really can't see Lenarduzzi committing to BCP without assurances that MLS is done.

Any takers?

12. Shootdapuck

Shootdapuck New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    In any case, there are more than enough reasons why Vancouver is a heavy favorite for MLS. Given the fact that there are no other major distractions besides CFL (no MLB), it will be a huge success. Infact, if the Canucks continue to suck, the Whitecaps should be off to great start.

13. DigzTFC

DigzTFC Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Halifax
    I don't think the lease would make Vancouver an immediate selection for MLS. I hope it does, but I don't think the two a synonymous:

1) Establishing a lease with BC Place puts Vancouver back in the hunt for an MLS franchise. Without it, it would most likely be a very slight chance because their is not a working business model that appeals to MLS.

2) The lease is meant to be broken. So, yes, in 5 years time operating out of BC Place would erode profits of the Whitecaps in a USL position, but a stadium should be built well before that.

3) Would an owner like Kerfoot hedge his bets with BC Place and suck it up for a few years to entice MLS and have some more time to build the stadium.....yes. If the guy can afford a 100+ million privately funded stadium, he can take a 5 Million loss upfront or so as long as Vancouver gets a team eventually. Done right, these MLS franchises tend to make money. Which leads me to believe taking an initial loss is okay.

While your arguments are a little over-simplistic, I don't think they are unfounded. Could Steve Nash and Kerfoot partnership mean Vancouver gets an MLS franchise.....just as likely a Saputo and Gillete partnership with a stadium gets one. I think they're both great candidate cities and its a matter of time, that's all.

14. ken0sha

ken0sha Member

AS Roma and Whitecaps FC
    United States
    Dec 29, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had this dream that Garber announced Vancouver as one of the next two franchises at MLS All-Star game. Why not? Now there is a stadium arrangement in place (OK it's not perfect), a deep-pocketed investor, a city with a good fan base, and good natural rivalry with Seattle.

Regarding the stadium, would anyone argue it's a worse situation than Colorado, RSL, Chicago or Columbus had at first?

15. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but all teams had horrible stadium situations at the beginning. But now its been proven that expansion sides can enter the league with stadiums they control. Either SSS or rent free football stadiums.

16. Whymark 79

Whymark 79 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Steve Nash's influence is a huge factor in Vancouver being granted the next MLS franchise, probably as early as the All-Star game. Even though he hasn't committed the money (which would probably off-set the staggering expansion fee) his profile alone is a MAJOR boost.

He met with Don Garber, Bob Lenarduzzi and Greg Kerfoot for the opening of Saputo Stadium, and he recently hosted a celebrity soccer event in New York which was amazing. He himself is good enough to play in MLS...don't laugh, it's true.

The Whitecaps are actually having more discussions with the Port over the new stadium site than they have in recent months...so that's still simmering.

What would be more appropriate, than welcoming Vancouver and Montreal to the fold for 2011, during the All Star game in Toronto. That gives the Impact plenty of time to modify its stadium, and the Whitecaps will have more time to negotiate their Waterfront Stadium ideals.

I also predict, that from here on in...MLS will expand by 2 cities at a time in order to keep the schedule balanced...IF they expand beyond 18. SO Portland and St Louis, get ready, and get in line!

17. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is going to sound a little funny, but I actually hope that Vancouver and Montreal do NOT enter MLS in 2011. I want both teams in, but not at the same time for 2 simple reasons:

1. Dilution of Canadian talent. Let's be real here, Canada has one tenth the population of the US, and what soccer talent we do have is of a lower caliber than the US. Trying to stretch available Canadian talent to the domestic slots of three teams will be tough.

2. Dilution of a primarily-American league. I like MLS and am thankful we (Canadian clubs) are welcomed, but I do think it is a little bit...well, rude almost, to take two expansion slots in one year. I don't fall in with those "MLS for US only" guys, for obvious reasons, but I do think they have a bit of a point, and two CDN teams in one year is a bit much. Vancouver and St. Louis in 2011, Portland/Atlanta/NYC2/Chattanooga and Montreal in 2013.

But however this all shakes down, I really hope to see WHITECAPS in 2011!

18. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What's wrong with their current canadian players the Caps and Impact have on their squad? They have shown that they they are able to compete with an MLS squad with a team of 50% canadians.

In regards to not wanting them at the same time, who cares. If the MLS is willing to let the teams in then so be it. Montreal is ready right now with expansion plans, and Vancouver is ready as soon as the BC place lease starts. Also, they both have acadamy systems set up already.

19. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    Strawman. This assumes there are no contingency terms in the lease allowing the caps to either stay at a reduced rate or exit or buy out of the agreement. Can anyone prove to me that Kerfoot is not savvy enought to cover his bases with these kind of protections? Until someone does I won't be convinced that BC Place = MLS.

20. Shootdapuck

Shootdapuck New Member

Jun 21, 2008

I don't think there is any connection between MLS expansion to Canada and the very low soccer talent. By the way, didn't Vancouver beat two MLS teams this year (LA Galaxy and TFC) - not that it matters. I do think the quality of canadian soccer is on a steep incline. De Rosario was 2007 MLS Cup MVP.

21. willywang

willywang New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    The reason I'd like both Montreal and Vancouver to join MLS is so that I can watch all three teams in action each week on tv. In particular I hope all TSN/Sportsnet and CBC broadcast will show more MLS and less MLB. Truthfully, I don't get how people can sit through 9 innings of baseball.

22. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Vancouver is in........................

Just got it confirmed. CONFIRMED.

Don't know the year but the announcement is in Toronto on the all star game. It will be be attended by the BC Premier. Call the legislative in Victoria and ask where the Premier will be during the all star game.

? Campbell?????? is on the Victoria - Toronto flight on the Friday before the MLS all star game and will be in attendance. He will give and be wearing a bunch of Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics stuff to the MLS. Lennarduzzi and Kerfoot will also be in attendance.

MOD NOTE: This has not been confirmed by any legitimate source at this time.

23. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    If it is CONFIRMED, give us the confirmation.

24. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    I can appreciate you might not want to give up your source, but can you give us a sense as to their familiarity with the details? Are they gov't? MLS?

25. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Vancouver should be added to the Candidate Cities forum.