Vancouver Expansion Thread - News, articles, discussion

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by canuckred, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    Thanks for the strawman but I have never proported to state as FACT what the TRUE rivaly is in any league. You have tried to do that though. Who has an issue with facts again?

The only perspectives I have ever offered on this or any related issue are that:

1. Number of games is in no way an absolute metric for identifying rivalries in sports. Please refer back to my post about how your logic would suggest that Chivas and LA are not rivals.

2. You sure seem to devote a lot of time hating on Portland but then perport to be above caring about Portland. From what I can guess, thinking PDX keeps you up at night. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts.

Again, I am not claiming anything other than your irresponsible use of the word "Fact".

Nevertheless, if you read stuff on goalseattle.com, you'll find plenty of passages like "Seattle's arch rival Portland". That's your community putting that in writing. FACT.

Here's a couple of quickies.

"Seattle will face arch-rival Portland in round two back at Starfire June 26th." http://goalseattle.com/gallery/USOpenCup2007-1/10_G

"Supporters are about to witness a major moment of glory for their club: Seattle ousts arch-rival P*rtland from the 2004 playoffs with a dramatic extra time goal by Welton." http://goalseattle.com/gallery/ECS?page=2

And that's just a quick search of one of your sites.

I mean, something that you are calling a "moment of glory" seems pretty important to you guys. Why all of the sudden pretend that you have never cared about Portland or consider them a rival?

If you ask me, you're just sounding increasingly concerned that what you secretly consider your rival will be entering MLS. Who knows if it will happen and who cares. Ok, well we know you care (secretly, in bed, at night, awake).

That's all I'm saying. And I'll restate my opinion based on my points above and in previous threads:

Bright=Zero Credibility

2. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, Portscum is a rivalry (there, feel better? ;) ), just not our biggest one.

Look, Seattle's had it coming from North and South for decades. In the end we have to look out most for the club who beats us most.

3. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    I don't care about the rivalry, just about being lied to.

I mean GS, your own site calls Portland Seattle's "Arch Rival". I thought that somehow meant something like biggest rival. Then you get Paul saying Portland is not considered a rival.

He just starts on these campaigns that are based in fallacy and then repeats them. Maybe it's just because that type of tactic is so Bush administration that I react to them, but it just comes across as someone spewing propaganda on what should be a discussion board.

Do you see where I'm coming from? If not, let me show you:

Again, what?

"The Sounders home opener is against the arch-rival Portland Timbers on Saturday, May 5th at Qwest Field"
    (Seattle Soundesrs Official Website)
    http://www.seattlesounders.net/pressrelease.php?ID=554

"Sounders vs. arch rival Portland Timbers, MAY 5TH 7pm Qwest!"
    (by F*ck Portland)
    http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&entryID=34043294&groupID=101249176&adTopicID=26&Mytoken=CC667D1B-575F-455F-AB6BD899CB20C61377354542

"[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Sounders can't convert in 1-0 loss to the rival Portland Timbers" (Seattle Times)[/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20040516&slug=sounders16[/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']"Sounders couldn't muster anything steady in the second half of a scoreless tie against the rival Portland Timbers" (Seattle PI)[/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2004406059_sounders11.html[/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']"[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I have TEN FREE TICKETS for our home opener April 30, 2005 in Qwest Field at 7 PM against our arch-rival Portland Timbers."[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']http://seattledrumcircle.tribe.net/thread/359e7321-f37d-41df-bfcd-10fbe1f8165d[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Do you need more? I mean come on now. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Again, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I just about being lied to, especially when that is part of a challenge to my point or a point someone else made. That's why I believe, say it with me:[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Bright=ZERO CREDIBILITY[/FONT][/FONT]

4. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is possible to have more than one rival........

We just don't spend the majority of our time worrying about or HATING Portland. Quite a few of Sounder fans respect Vancouver and their fans. IT is fun to watch the TA OBSESS over everything Seattle however. ;)

5. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do a search for "Extra Uber Arch Rival."

You'll see Vancouver show up like a zillion times.

Speaking for myself only, I like it when the Sounders beat Portland because it is a win for us, and a loss for their fans.

I like it when Seattle beats Vancouver because it is a win for us over a quality side. I don't mind Vancouver's fans, but I sure didn't get much out of Tino Lettieri when he was in goal for the Caps back in the day. HATED that guy and his stoopid stuffed...parrot, was it?

[​IMG]

Stick yer oogie up yer oi, Tino

6. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i think it is time to ascend this thread into an expansion subforum :D. I am so happy about the news today. With Steve Nash on board.....this is the start of something BIG.

7. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    I'm not TA, but I guess I do feel the need to call B*ullshit when I see it.

I mean really, claiming Portland is not a rival, when Seattle press, the official Sounders website, fans on Myspace and Goalseattle.com have called Portland Seattle's "arch rival" for years.

Once again, Bright is arguing against fact with something he is calling fact. And this is just his most recent episode.

And I don't lump Seattle fans in general in with him. I know you won't admit it because he's one of your own, but you know he's a bit out there on this stuff. Even on this issue I don't hear anyone of you supporting his claim that Portland is not a rival. Especially in light of the content on GoalSeattle, I know you'd be joshing if you did.

Bright apparently had an issue once in Portland and has rallied against soccer in the city ever since. I have seen him hijack discussions with statements he positions as fact that are obviously false, but wasting everyone's time nontheless. I just think he should keep his personal tragedies to himself. If he did I wouldn't feel any need to post this kind of response.

8. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I'll admit I wonder sometimes........ I'd like to see both Vancouver and Portland in MLS. Portland is a rival and that's obvious by the intensity on the field when the two teams meet. I think some of the "fan" rivalry is obsessive from a Portland point of view. I think that is what gets under Bright's skin more than anything.

9. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver really should have its own candadite city forum. I really think that all three of you guys would be great for the league. Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland will one day soon all be in MLS. In Houston we hate on Dallas and our press says its a rivalry, but for me, I want to beat all teams equaly. Meaning I don't feel that fire to beat any one team in MLS to say it's cause of "The Rivalry", but maybe it's cause we're still a new team. However we do have a game tuesday that I do feel that I and a lot of our fans feel is a rivalry game against FMF team Pachuca, go figure. Any way, I'm just saying it's cool that you guys have an existing rivalry entering MLS. Good Luck.

10. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    The last 70 posts including mine were all written within the last 24 hours, and written by a good variety of people. Vancouver has now become an "official" bid, and it has already been mentioned as a potential city by Garber for a long time. I think it fulfills all the criteria, so I think it's about time for Vancouver to get its own forum.

11. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    Well I hate Pachuca too. Understandable. And that's one benefit of MLS is the greater potential for international club rivalries. And I thought you guys had ties to Saprissa somehow among the original ultras - does that play into anything?

Oh and back on topic - big step for Vancouver today on filing the application. If they can get MLS to be comfortable with the BC Place, they are in good shape, but I sure would love to see that Waterfront stadium. It would be the best setting in MLS and I'd be hard pressed to want another team in if they had that venue locked.

12. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    I gotta admit that I contributed to a lot of those as did other seattle posters regarding the question of Seattle's "Arch Rivalry" with Portland.

Either way, if you have enough of your own supporters, you could start your own expansion board like they did in Portland at soccercityusa.com

I checked and SOCCERCITYCANADA.CA is available at godaddy.

13. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said that Seattle - Vancouver is the true rivalry, and you had an existential meltdown. I never said that Portland is not a rival. I said that the rivalry is a direct result of Portland fans insisting that there is one, and instigating until Seattle fans' buttons are pushed. What a lame juvenile "rivalry". It doesn't compare to the Seattle - Vancouver rivalry, which is mutual and of the highest caliber. The thing coming out of Portland is very one-sided. I guess you don't notice because you are in the midst of it. Just because a press release or a message board post mentions Portland in rivalry terms doesn't mean it is anywhere as big a deal to us as it is to you. Not even close. Look at the circular hysterics you've put yourself through. Look at how your identity went into crisis mode at the mere thought that Seattle doesn't care about you. It's you who flip out about it. You guys are going to have to find a new schtick pretty soon because the whole PDXtoMLS thing is a pipe dream. Get used to being on your own for once. What is Portland without Seattle? That's a good essay topic for the website contest. Get busy. :)

- Paul

14. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with several of the above posters:

GIVE VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC IT'S OWN EXPANSION FORUM!

15. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    Nice try to reframe, but the problem was you tried to debase someone else's comment claiming a "fact" that was not a "fact". That's what I responded to. Then you tried to tell us all that rivalries are measured by the number of games played. I can't believe I even need to recount this for you.

Hmm, I just don't know how Portlanders were able to push the buttons of the Sounders front office such that they would also call the Timbers "arch rivals" regularly in their communications . . . and then infiltrate the Seattle PI, and then have moles in the Sounders fan group putting up myspace pages claiming the Timbers as arch rivals. You are giving the Timbers Army a LOT of undue credit I think.

Do you often see black helicopters?

While you might have conspiracy theories otherwise, it's not me or anyone from Portland that is writing the press releases for the Sounders website or Goalseattle, etc

I can't believe that you truly believe that. I mean paranoia is one thing but . . .

So maybe you are just saying that these people only wrote articles and press releases that way because some Timbers Army person provoked them. Wow. Great theory.

But I can understand why you might believe that. As suggested by another Sounders fan on this board, you are the one that reacts so predictably and alarmingly by people in the Timbers Army. I doubt though that many other Seattle fans are as scared or influenced by them as you are, and surely none in the Sounders organization are shaking in their boots enough to influence how they write their press releases.

You just sound crazier and crazier every time you try to ignore or talk around realities that are out there for everyone to see for themselves.

You were embarassed over in the thread talking about Media Markets when someone else called BS on your newspaper circulation figures. You tried to push some media market ranking numbers that were completely debased by Nielsen's Media Market rankings, now you are still suggesting that Portland is the only side ("one sided" you said) suggesting there is a rivalry, despite all kinds of publicly available sources citing otherwise on the web. Nevertheless, you probably still imagine this all as "fact".

But where will it end Bright? What do you need to be ok?

16. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Ecktoss has a boner for Seattle. :p

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    MOD NOTE: We've been through this before.

Instead of bitching and yelling with ALL CAPS, follow the rules.

This thread was created because Vancouver hadn't met those requirements a few months ago. Maybe it would now.

Follow the rules, and your request will be considered.

I'd recommend you start a new Vancouver thread as the old one is partially irrelevant now.

Remember, Mods don't take well to being yelled at or being told we're stupid (especially when others fail to follow the procedure.)

18. mednus

mednus New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Ontario
    Why does everyone want to be in the Expansion Candidate Cites Sub Forum?
    Take a Look at the cities listed

[​IMG] Candidate Cities

Other than Montreal, and St.Louis
    none of the rest have even a remote chance for this round!
    Who cares if Vancouver isn't in that group.
    Think it through which OWNERSHIP groups have their ducks lined up for an announcement in November at the MLS cup?
    Thats right Montreal, Portland and Vancouver.

19. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    Hmm. Ok, you can't respond intelligently so that's all you've got left eh?

Children.

And I have stated nothing about Seattle either way - you'll not find a post of mine offering an opinion about the city one way or the other.

All I did is link to posts from the Goalseattle website that claimed that Portland was your "arch rival". All the sudden you and Bright seem to be having a rough go of it.

Like Bright, it seems like you start to get petty and desperate when someone offers you facts that counter the garbage you spew on here.

20. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just trying to show you that repeating Seattle over and over again, when you are um, a PDX fan, is taken as "obsessive" up north.

We appreciate the coverage, but...

There is no rough go. You are reacting emotionally, while we don't see PDX that way. Does that bother you? I guess it does.

You seriously base your rivalry with Seattle on facts? OK, what would those facts be? That historically we dominate you? See, I can get that...but if you are the club that dominates, then it isn't such a rivalry. Get it?

21. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note: This needs to end because this is A Vancouver thread.

Vancouver will make an excellent MLS city. They look to have the money and the soccer infrastructure, plus a plan to play at BC Place as they work out a stadium deal.

Many cities could make it work, but Vancouver have the chance to be a 'big club' much like Seattle are hoping to be. It could be epic as the two go neck and neck for dominance of the region and the race for a connection with the far east's soccer market.

22. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    No, never a claim I made, but you've just made my original point - that Bright off his rocker in claiming a "true rivalry" as "FACT".

Anyway, thanks.

I never claimed it was a rivalry or ever peddle something like that as fact. But that is exactly what Bright did.

But I did link to several posts on your own website GS where YOU said Portland was an arch rival, only because Bright was trying to claim that your "arch rival" was not a true rival. I personally don't care about any rivalry, just that Bright was once again trying to get away with more BS.

It's probably uncomfortable for you to have your own website used to debase something you, but more so Bright, were trying to peddle.

Maybe try to retain a little dignity when you get called out instead of attacking someon who offers evidence that challenges your opinion. And my opinion is:

BRIGHT=ZERO CREDIBILITY

Bright and GS, just let this go. You were called out, suck it up, move on. This is a Vancover thread.

Back on topic. I think the Vancouver waterfront stadium would be wonderful. I hope that goes through someday.

23. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    OKay, brotherhood of the Whitecaps (and well-wishers and Seatle fans), lets get it done. According to Billy, this is what we need to do to get an MLS Expansion forum. Post in the thread below in support of an forum.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723849

24. willywang

willywang New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Personally, the reason why MLS should also expand to Vancouver is because in this city, the MLS will receive prime media attention unlike other cities where MLS is burried under MLB, NFL, Arena football, auto racing and food eating contests. How many other cities can you say that MLS outdraws baseball? (TFC games are at full capicity as opposed to BlueJay games). I predict all BC Place home games will sell out their 1st season due to the novelty, soon after a newly built waterfront stadium will keep the crowds at full capacity thereafter.

25. Eckstoss

Oct 31, 2007
    Of course that's one obvious aspect of the Portland pitch too. Maybe Montreal too? Vegas?