Van der Sloot

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by PhillyQuakesFan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    We're talking about this type of editorial decision. I think one loses credibility if you look to hang all that is wrong with media coverage on Fox news.

2. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Did Fox News end up giving this story (involving the rape and murder of a woman a few years ago) headline space?

Or was it suppressed by Glenn Beck, who did not coincidentally rape and murder a young girl in 2010 (although we are not sure about his whereabouts in 1990)?

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course the 24 hour "news" channels are going to choose to cover the hot blonde who disappeared in an exotic island. What they are delivering sadly is meant as entertainment, not news.

It's no different than an American sports channel -back in the day- choosing to show the match of Anna Kuornikova over the match of Venus Williams, even though Williams is the American and the better player and is playing the more significant match.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...and the horse you rode in on, with a broom handle dipped in fiberglass shards. You're too far gone to even address any other way.

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Yes, but honestly, I think it's got a lot less to do with the "hot" part, and a lot more to do with the "blond" part. A sexy black girl living in the ghetto will not get this kind of coverage.

6. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Yes and no,

I seem to remember two incidents of black women, Tawana Brawley and the Duke Lacrosse case, accusing whites of raping them. The media was all over both stories and eager to lynch the accused, well before they were known to be hoaxes. Some black victims get alot of attention in the US if the accused perp is white.

And I am disgusted by all the media which will report the hell out of a missing blond white girl, but ignore missing minority children. I would stand with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on that issue.

Susan Smith, Brawley, and Duke Lacrosse lady should all spend time, in Smith's case extra time in possible, behind bars for their hateful and divisive lies.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's a different issue, and the alleged victims got publicity for completely different reasons than the one we are discussing. I think it has to do with the unresolved racial tension that still exists in America.

But Metrogo is right about hot blondes getting special coverage, and I think the editorial decision is made to cover those stories because sadly stories about hot blondes getting raped cause the networks ratings to go up.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is everyone running with this rape line? Neeskens already mentioned that the authorities said the Peruvian woman was not sexually assaulted. And no one knows what happened to Holloway in that regard, correct? Is there some bit of news I've missed?

9. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I responded to a post that black girls in ghetto would not get the same media attention. I cited to cases where black "victims" did get such attention. The "crimes" happened to be different, but the media attention was just as intense.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know what happened, obviously, but if you follow the discussion, you can surely tell that I was discussing the story line as it was sold by the major news networks. The alleged rape and murder of a hot blonde woman at an exotic resort island.

That is what they chose to report, in order to get the ratings, which is my point.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure they're just projecting because they would have raped the girls in addition to killing them ;)
    But I think it was Freud who said sometimes, it's just about the killin'. No, probably not Sigmund, must have been a different Freud ;)

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the storyline was that Holloway was raped? Admittedly, I didn't follow the story that closely, but I don't remember stories alleging that.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Since her body was never found, surely there is no way for the authorities to know if she was raped or not.

Van Der Sloot might just get his rocks off on the act of killing itself. Not all murdering sociopaths rape their victims.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Oh, so you took the post entirely out of the context of the conversation and replied to it.

Racial conflict, like hot blonds being murdered, also sells. Black girls being murdered with no racial component to it does not sell.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As I recall, the story was that Van der Sloot was seen leaving with her, and that he admitted picking her up and having sex with her. From that information, and from her disappearance, the alleged rape part was mostly implied, along with the alleged murder.

16. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Do you tell everyone that disagrees with you that?

Always the victim, right?

17. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Though I have often not agreed with Ariauprottu, I can not recall him ever claiming that he was a victim. It is the racist prism you view the world through which causes you to think that Ariauprottu claims a victimhood.

It is some of the Conservatives on here who claim to be victims, and sometimes the Israel sympathizers. Have you pointed that out lately?

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  19. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nope. What's your point? That because I don't champion that some Conservatives or Israeli sympathizers are p@ssies playing the victim card I must side with them? So guilty by non-association? Interesting logic.

20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap. What a moron.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Not claiming authenticity, but I heard yesterday on the radio that the Peruvian victim was found with her pants pulled down. The initial theory was that it would be pretty strange behavior to first pull down your pants and then be rifling through the guy's laptop when he stepped out. So, that initial report -- right or wrong -- probably led people to jump to the rape conclusion.

On the broader question, I remember posting at the time of the first incident that this should be a news story in Aruba and in Alabama. It should not have been a big national news story. Just another example of our sucky media.

22. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Web cam dude.

23. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your tax money at work. ZING!

Lil 'spiracy birdie saying she might have been in on it, but sadly lost out.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Interesting thought. She was on the payroll too and it got out of hand. Sounds like a movie plot. Waiting for Harrison Ford to come in and tie it up in 90 minutes

25. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make it Matt Damon and we have a deal...