Vacationing in Portugal.

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by nas2nj, Jul 22, 2002.

1. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I have heard some stories about vacationing in Portugal which are not to appealing.

My uncle was sitting in a park bench in the Algarve and got his wallet stolen right from his front pocket.
    He saw a older man by him and the old man was speaking to him, so maybe that old man was a decoy for someone else.

A couple friend of mine just came back from a month in Portugal and they loved it, but told me to make sure I know what is going on around me at all times. They said you can see people just hanging out at the airport looking for trouble. Ukranians and gypsies all over the place. They were are in the Algarve and the woman got her purse stolen right out of her hand without even noticing it until a few minutes later. They said its like they put a spell on you for a few seconds and next thing you know, you are missing something. They went to the police which told them that it happens alot and there was nothing they could do.

That same couple's unclle and aunt were driving at night near Lisbon and they had someone bump there car from behind. They didn't pull over and the bumping continued for about a mile until they pulled into a service station. The car that was bumping them kept on going.

Actually Frank, my friends are from murtosa and someone was robbed on Torreira beach during the day.

I look at Portugal as a safe place to go with my family, but lately what is going on.

Some info would be appreciated?
    I'm actually a bit nervous going now, not because of myself and wife, I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old.
    Don't need problems.

2. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I had no problems whatsoever. But let’s face it, there are “problems” everyone, so you always have to be careful. All one has to do is to look at the news last week of that young girl in California getting snatched from her front yard and later murdered.

I spent two weeks in Portugal in late June – early July, and encountered zero problems. We spent time in Lisbon, Coimbra, the Algarve, Nazare, Obdidos, Cascais, Sintra, etc. etc. Pickpockets prey on people – especially tourists – who are not careful. Make sure your wallet is in a safe place.

Above all, be careful. You will love Portugal.

3. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I agree. We have alot of problems in the US.
    That sick bastard that did that to the 5 year old girl in California should be castrated.

In Portugal, I just never thought that way.

Coming from Newark, NJ and being next to New York City, we are used to having to look around.

But on vacation, you tend to be more relaxed and put your guard down.

4. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I really don't think -- and I hope -- you will NOT have any problems. My wife and I found the people of Portugal to be some of the nicest that we have ever met on vacation. They really went out of their way to make sure they could help you. I hope that you and your family will find the same to be true.

Boa viagem!

5. dtoste

dtoste New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    San Jose Ca
    I highly recomend money belts. They are a good way to carry your cash and cards. You can pick them up at most luggage stores.

6. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    I went to Portugal last year, and it was fun, i mean some of the girls on the beaches.................algarve has alot of pubs and places to eat. but dont go to Mcdonalds cause it took me and my bro 2 hours to get what we wanted. Its like mcDonalds is a rarity in Portugal.

and the beach has fine sand with no rocks in it, not like the stuff we have in canada!

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I went to McDonalds in London airport Heatrow it took me two hours, and the bill for 4 persons about 45 dollars. 4 big mac's cokes and fries.

8. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    If you are Portugal, why the hell would you go to McD's anyway?

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    My kids did take there girlfriends and wife to McDonalds and Pizza Hut. I don't see anything wrong with it? In Aveiro they got plenty of help./

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    My kids and girlfriend Love tosta mistas.

11. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wherever there are tourists - in whatever country in the world - there will be criminals. not just portugal.

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    We have to be careful, don't carry extra cash and don't take to many credit cards, keep the numbers at home.

13. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    and watch for people who pick pocket, cause this 7 year old kid tried to still my wallet. A 7 year old kid!!!

14. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Fender Playa,

Where did that happen?

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Be careful with the ciganos.
    I don't worry I basically have a good judgement on the person. They usally take a look at me and they run.

16. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Thet call him SCARY FRANK!!!!!!!!!!!

17. F Cunha III

F Cunha III New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    NYC Metro Area
    true. why would you?

the one time i did in Porto though it was a far different experience...cyrstal chandaliers, wine, beer, i guess some do it for a new experience of a routine activity...

...everything is different in Europe...even the things that they try to "Americanize"...it truly is becoming...

...a global world...

instantly frank

p.s. portugal and the rest of europe is probably still one of the safest places in the world, keep your eyes open though, anywhere!

18. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Bilbao 2 Brooklyn check this thread

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    We had a good thread about Portugal, but when Bigsoccer crash, it was all gone.

20. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Portugal is a good place to visit .
    I have been over there about 3 times and enjoyed it each time .I personally enjoyed staying at a small tourist resort called Praia da Luz which is near lagos .Maybe some of the posters on this board have been there .
    lagos is also a good town to visit .

btw - I never had any problems with pickpockets when I was there .I aint been there for afew years but it surely cant have changed too much since my last visit.

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Nuno got carry way with picket pockets, I don't think he as the same opinion after visiting the country.

22. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I was in Portugal this August and didn't have a problem.
    You just keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.
    I went all over Portugal in 18 days.

I picked up my car with 13 kils and turned it in with over 3,000 kils.

From Algarve to Spain to Fatima, Libon, Porto.

I didn't encounter a problem.

Just be careful driving. I was warned about the crazy drivers and that is 110% true.

They drive like as$&^%78!!!

23. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I was just worried about stories I heard from people that had been there in the recent months.

Beleive me I didn't just come up with this. A few people had a bad and were telling me to watch out. One was my uncle which goes there every year for 4 months at a time.

But like I posted above I didn't have a problem.

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I know it happens, but its not like its all over the place, not better or worse then any other place.

I was right about the driving, its a challenge.