Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    LOOL ^

He has Achilles tendinopathy. Could it that be persistent problem that flares up? IDK these things, but one comment I saw from an "expert" made it seem that way.

2. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I read his case was severe.

3. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    From what I read, sounds like this is flaring up on him, hence the constant need to rest and his inability to "accelerate" when he is playing through it.

johno repped this.
  4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    a) repeated injuries to the same area may indicate trouble. The same type of injury in different places is something that that might be worked on by the player with sports scientists and physios.

b) we only have Martial's side of it if we are ignoring the context of the last several years. we know players were rushed back. He played over 2000 minutes in 8 consecutive seasons. 1500 league minutes is typically the level below which you don't get slotted into stats compilations and he's missed that mark once (1487) in the last several years. Transfermarkt shows the duration of injuries and barring the knee ligament injury, he's missed than 2 weeks per injury a handful of times, but most times he's back in less time. Just say you don't like him, but saying he never plays is ludicrous, he's not Cavani.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I’ve been a huge Martial fan on these boards for a long time. I was one of the guys on Martials side during that whole him vs Rashford debate.

I’m actually surprised here you are acting like persistent injuries aren’t an issue with Martial. It’s literally been a knock on him his entire time at United. He just can’t stay fit. According to TM, in just over 6 years at United he’s missed 62 games due to injury. So nearly 10 games a season. That’s a considerable amount. What’s more, it’s not a chronic injury to one area. He’s had thigh, hamstring, groin, knee, ankle, Achilles.

I’ll agree that Ole ran a lot of players into the ground. He tended not to stray from his preferred 11 and criticized him for that at the time. But again, let’s not act like Martial has only been hurt during the Ole seasons. His games missed through injury were only slightly higher during Oles time and that was only because of a knee injury that kept him out a considerable amount of time.

6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  8. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    We can always loan Landon Donovan

9. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Martial needs to get out of his own head. There's pressure on him and he has put it upon himself. I think he told Evra that this is his last chance with us plus you add in the constant injuries.
    There are two players I see as key to making him get goals and they are Bruno and Antony.

If Antony can be more productive on the right and Bruno plays down the middle a lot more then we can get goals out of Martial.

Too many times I see Martial making good runs then Antony will either mess up with a poor pass or turns back and passes to Dalot or AWB.
    Martial gets few chances but when he does he needs to make them count.

I made a tweet before the start of the season and predicted 25 goals each for him and Rashford this season and it's not looking good on his side of the stats.

10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    He should take a page from Rash's book. When the goal is in sight, just smash the ball.

11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    injured again ..

1621873919224430596 is not a valid tweet id

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  13. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    This ********ing guy… some of it has to be psychological.

14. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tiny heart syndrome

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Out of the FA Cup final with yet another muscular injury. Hopefully we’ve seen the last of Martial and he’s sold this summer for whatever we can get for him. The guy is made of glass on a Hargreaves level.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we can get someone to offer 20 mil for him we should bite their hands off.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Just get him off wage bill, this fecker is reportedly on 200k/week.

18. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Depends on his issue. Can he ever recover enough to manage it practically or will he constantly keep getting sidelined like this?

19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 years of this same shit isn't enough for you???

Anonymous_United, JayBoy and J'can repped this.
  20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    this is what annoys me to no end. we have these 7+ year experiments that clearly don't work and there is always a willingness to give it one more try.

this is exactly how we drift into another Jones situation

Anonymous_United and CybrSlydr repped this.
  21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He’s either been out of form or injured for the past 3 years. He’s had enough chances.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  22. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I meant for his sale figure lol. His issues will determine what we can get.

23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    IIRC this will be his last season if we are no able to sell him ..

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He has a £250k per week contract to 2024 with a club option for a further year to 2025.

I think he will dig his heels in and refuse to move - as don't see another club giving him a deal close to this with his recent performances and injury record.

Assuming we can't get a sale or loan for him, we need to be prepared to let him walk next summer unless there is a major turnaround.

In the past this would make Ed sh!t his pants and he would be in there with a contract extension to protect his asset. Hopefully the new regime will not be so dumb.

25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Watch Martial will come back fitter than ever to earn a contract. He will play out of his mind and then he'll leave for free to PSG and their new mostly french project. Contract year players... smh

We will still complain even though you all wanted him gone. Well blame the glazers etc...

But i cant deny, he's had his chances.