Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    RedRoverLightning11 repped this.
  2. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    His conversion rate needs to go up to the ~20's% and goals per 90 need to go up to 0.5. I would take a 20 goals 15 assists season. His assist numbers are under rated. Moving those two metrics up while keeping the others ones (take on/pass successes) would do tremendously for him and the team.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The 'fat man' is not a Martial fan evidently. Thank God he (or people like him) have nothing to do whether he stays or goes.
    Martial will be needed more than ever now with Rashford set to miss the start of the season. And I'm excited to see what he can do combining/partnering with the likes of Sancho and Cav, among others.
    Has a big point to prove as well and I believe he will do so, provided he can stay healthy.

benni... repped this.
  4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I am backing Martial to bounce back. I cant wait to see him fresh, with a preseason.

5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I think it depends on whether or not he still wants to be here. He's such a confidence player. I'd love for him to bounce back.

6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What is your impression?

I think he has no real options anywhere. No top club will pay his wages or the fee necessary.

Despite his lack of production, he was still getting called up by France. So i think he will try to win his spot back. I think Ole wants him to as well because he gave him plenty of chances.

If everyone is on form, I am starting him over Cavani with Rashford, Sancho, Pogba, Bruno and a 6.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    He probably doesn't have anywhere to go, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want out. If he's checked out, we know he won't play well. I'm hoping he makes it difficult for Rashford to get back into the team when he's back. I prefer a confident martial to Rashford.

benni... repped this.
  8. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    I love me some Martial, but the biggest problem is that he is far too inconsistent to be relied upon at a club that is starting to have title aspirations again. I hope he has a great season, for both his and the club's sakes. But if he can't put it all together for 38+ games then I think we would be foolish not to consider selling him if the right price came around.

benni... repped this.
  9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martial looking ready to tackle the season ahead.

Anthony Martial sends warning to defenders ahead of 2021 22 | Manchester United (manutd.com)

On a lighter note, this is the kind of energy I want him to bring this season to opposing defenses...

Imagine this is it for him though and that if he does not have a solid season, the club will try to move him on (despite it being not being so straightforward, due to his salary).
    Has to make it happen though and I believe he will.

benni... repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Still have faith in Martial, but the time is really now for him at this stage. We'll see, I suppose...
    As an aside, this week's edition of the Vibe was excellent once again: the banter from Rio and Howson to Joel over Arsenal alone was priceless. Rio's views on Jones also, among other, was worthwhile.
    Good stuff all the way around.

11. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Um, he mentions Carrick in order to give weight to Tony’s talent and then says he needs someone in his ear. Uh, how about Carrick, his coach? Lol

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martial back with Les Bleus.
    [​IMG]
    An interesting (and good) squad picked by Deschamps, giving some players their first senior call up (like Tchouameni and Theo H among others).
    Appreciate Martial's recall: injury is what kept him out of the Euros and hopefully, that is something else that will provide him a good mental boost to his United form and prospects for this season.

13. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    United has ruined Martial. When he first came here he played in a system that was good for him. Later in that season we moved him out wide and his game started changing. We got Maureen and he messed him up skill wise and mentally.
    Martial plays better in a two striker system. His hold up play is good but playing with his back towards goal limits his game.

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Whose Maureen?

15. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Our previous coach who's now at AS Roma

16. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Still getting minutes for France.

This is good for us.

jeff070 repped this.
  17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    @doubletrouble

The system change did throw a wrench his way, but he was still putting up decent numbers even after his first season. Things only really got bad this past season. His goal count is way down. From 17 goals two seasons ago to only 4 this past season in the EPL. I don't think a whole lot changed stats wise in his game in the past two seasons. He was still getting a similar number of chances on average. The one thing that did change was those 4 goals he scored last season were all sitters inside/around the 6 yard box whereas before he was scoring a greater variety of goals, from outside the box even.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2021-9-9_13-50-1.jpeg
    Sound advice from Berba and given the level of competition on the frontline spots, that is the mentality and drive we want to see from him.
    Bottom line remains, this is a big season for Martial: get it done, this team still needs him.

jeff070 repped this.
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Love stats like this :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    1461252560002682883 is not a valid tweet id

20. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I understand Rashford starting, but Martial coming in instead of Lingard? Why?

Really poor management

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

benni... repped this.
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

I'm tired of mentally weak, unmotivated players who don't want/think they should fight for their place. There's a cancer at this club and firstly it's the Glazers but a close second is soft ass players. I'm over them. Martial, Pogba, Shaw, Maguire...you can all kick rocks. Im ready for another culling.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  23. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    I saw this one coming miles away. Hopefully he takes his job more seriously where he goes

CybrSlydr repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester United: Martial devrait être prêté en janvier (bfmtv.com)

RMC Sport on Martial going out on loan next month, with Lyon interested in taking him on board. PSG saw (see?) him as a suitable replacement for Mbappe, if he were to leave for Spain. Clearly a summer move though, which is why a loan appears to be the only way Martial will move before that. Being under contract under 2024, plus with his enormous salary, there are only so many clubs who can contemplate that kind of deal.

Other reports are claiming Barca interest. Ok, with what money: we're not giving Martial away, nor should he be all that cheap either. If they're daft enough to entertain some kind of swap with de Jong (even if we have to kick $ their way), then by all means...

25. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    On this same page we had posters crying about “fat man” posts while pumping Martial up. And the M9 story looks like it’ll end with a floppy limp.

200-250k off our books and on a better player is an incredible prospect.