V Army vs. The Ohio Gestapo

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what was up last night with John Law cruising the lot? At one point I saw TWO Geheimestaatspolizei types chatting up the boys.

Word going around the lot was that they were cracking down on tailgating, probably because of Mr and Mrs StateFair and the noseminers.

I'm wondering how soon they're going to hotfoot it over to OSU to do the same thing on football Saturdays.

Somebody want to fill me in?

2. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So there we were... minding our own business, being responsible 21+ folks drinking our beers out of red plastic cups. Along come two officers (State Highway Patrol). Cop 1 has a bit of sun burn on his neck and Cop 2 is wearing the most retarded pair of black rubber/plastic gas station sunglasses I've ever seen a cop wearing. Cop 1 says, hey guys, just want to let you know that you can't drink alcohol on state property, and we'd appreciate it if you have any alcohol in your cups that you dump it out. He was pretty nice and seemed like he was going to be cool. Well, the damn hippie starts causing trouble. Cop 2 sees the hippie take a drink out of his cup, about 8 feet from him, and then goes into bad cop/HS bully/ass master mode. He nearly screams at the Hippie, what are you doing? you take a drink right in front of us right after we told you not to drink here? ROOOOAR! Meanwhile, gimpy gets this nice smirk on his face at this, and Cop 2 turns to him and says, you have a problem with that? Gimpy turns back and says, no sir, I just have a broken ankle.... (might as well have added the , you prick). So we are forced to dump our beers and quit our tailgating at like 6:40. What a crock!

However, the 5-0 were going to pretty much anybody that looked like they had booze and cracking down on them.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I had a Boddingtons in there damnit, i had to make sure that i got as much down as i could before i dumped it whether the cop was staring at me or not. It was only for the state fair i would think, I can't see that happening again next home game.

4. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Yes, or Hang is going to bring pickets..

"Fight Police Oppression"

5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    meanwhile, the cops wernt even making rounds about the VIP lots...

still, classic moments with hobbs and the hippy...

6. Tyree

Tyree Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Columbus, Ohio
    F U C K The Police!!!!!

7. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I'm assuming there has NEVER been a problem before with alcohol at the tailgates before yesterday's debacle.

8. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    actually, no, not really.

9. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Andy what the hell was that comment supposed to mean?

10. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, hasn't this happened in the past during Fair time? I seem to recall that, at least a couple years ago, the Crew organization got the word out that "standard" tailgating practices - especially grills - were not to be followed for the duration of the Fair. And, it's been mentioned numerous times before, the OHP looks the other way when it comes to alcohol for most Crew matches; they just want the Fair to run smoothly.

Now, that doesn't mean they should go overboard or anything.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

blame it all on the fukking hippies...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, probably just the state fair going on. Come the 31st, you'll probably go back to full tailgate mode...

Actually, now that I think of it, I remember that same stuff happening in 1999 pre v-army.. so it's not just you guys being faulted here.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm.. are we sure that the VIP lots are state property? or could those be Crew property since they're paved?

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps in Andy's mind, V-army was trying to start some ************ with some fans.

or i don't know...

************ the police, eggy's ************ing innocent, ok?

14. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Krypto -

Helpful hint of the day.

It's VERY bad to assume.

I was just asking what happened. I made no accusations as to what I "thought" happened. I listened to the game via radio and listened to Dwight attempt to describe what happened. It was a very NON-judgemental question. I was genuinely curious to hear what happened. I didn't know if it was problems with fans, or another issue.

If I WAS in a V-Army bashing mode, I would have made some smart ass comment with my initial inquiry, saying it was "probably V-Army" or something like that.

However, I didn't.

I have no problems with V-Army as a whole. They are a great addition to the atmosphere at Crew Stadium.

Quit creating problems where they don't exist, Peter. This board is getting along quite well and we don't need this petty ************ starting up again.

15. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    does anyone else see the irony in this comment?

16. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    So apparently it's fine for your buddy Peter to start ************, since you aren't jumping him.

Hypocrite.

I'm trying to coexist amongst y'all. Can you say the same?

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no such thing as Crew property. All the land is owned by the state. The stadium site is just leased to the Crew. That's the only way the stadium could have been built as fast and cheap as it was, and the lack of a big tract of unused land that can be leased for a song ($50,000 a year is what I remember reading in the Dispatch way back when) is a big stumbling block in getting other stadia built.

19. dmets

dmets New Member

Apr 13, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    IIRC - there has never been alcohol or grills allowed during fair time. Just a fact of life on the fairgrounds - at least the stadium isn't in London or Dublin.

20. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    That was why I asked about the drinking thing. Something in the back of of mind was reminding me about how things generally change during the Ohio State Fair, with regards to parking and other things.

21. 3stripe

3stripe Member

Indy Eleven
    Oct 14, 2001
    Brickyard Battalion
    people were saying that the only property the crew owns is what is inside the gate...

they were selling alcohol at the tent...

22. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    no, the whole point of me saying that anything was ironic is because of YOU making the statement about creating problems where they dont exists, esp since this seems to be your specialty, much in the same way that segroves is great at verbally destroying aimer.

23. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I will repeat myself.
    Again.

I am trying to co-exist with everyone here. Are you doing the same?

If you want to dwell in the past and dig up trouble, that's your problem, not mine.

24. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Followed immediately by...

*shakes head sadly, walks away*

25. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    My point being, is that my initial question was asking if this kind of problem (drinking while tailgating) had cropped up before.

Apparently that was a de-facto GREEN light for Krypto to get all fired up, and then OGHT decides to pile on for effect.

It's very sad that there is such hatred and immaturity present here. It's even sadder that we have to go through this crap again.

Everyone wants this board to run smoothly? Fine. Don't dig up the past. We can debate all day and night as to who started what.

I asked an innocent question, and we can see how that turned out.

Memo to Joseph: Piss off. This is NOT your concern. Go back to your board and dream of having a real soccer stadium to play in.