Utah Blitzz not competing next year

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Lizzie Bee, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to Ethan's quick searching, we have the following official announcement from USL:

USL announcement

"The Milwaukee Wave United of the A-League and Utah Blitzz of the PSL will not be competing in USL in 2005."

2. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for posting the link. It's interesting to put a cap on the number when there's teams folding but I guess optomism is good. I sure hope they succeed.

3. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
    That's really too bad. I was hoping the two teams could coexist and possibly create some sort of symbiotic relationship that would benefit both sides. :(

4. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So what will become of the Blitzz?

Any idea if the Blitzz will make some kind of announcement today?

5. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't thank me; thank SoccerPrime. He posted it on another site, which is how I found out about it. I just posted it here because I saw it hadn't been posted yet, and I wasn't sure if he was planning to or not.

6. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Has anybody told you you're too modest?

7. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop. You're inflating my pride.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Crap! :(

9. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Hmm, I might know why. Care to venture any guesses as to their announcement?

10. LOTG

LOTG Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Many teams that have once played in USL have formed or later joined a League called MPSL. It is a Regional Amatuer league. Salt Ratzz are a part of this league already. I suspect they may join here. They have been a solid team in the USL. THey were part of PSL (now called the Second Division). All current Second Division teams are East coast. So USL made teams like the Blitzz decide on either A League (now First Division) or PDL (still PDL).

Check out the MPSL website and hope to see them there this upcoming season. New teams are joining this year I just do not know which.

11. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
  12. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mpsl.info

13. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    For those of you still in the lurch, here is a taste of what the Salt Ratz - and their owner - have to offer:

For neighbors of IHC theft suspect, things are clear now

Date: November 12, 2004

Until recently, there was always at least one BMW in the driveway at Ralph Hansen's home, a rambler in an upper middle-class neighborhood in Sandy.

Hansen's yard, which included a professional-grade sports court in the back, was the nicest on the block.

But the gardener has stopped coming, the grass has grown long and weeds have sprouted. For the first time in years, the yard was devoid of fancy decorations at Halloween.

Neighbors now know why: Ralph Hansen was charged...(SL Tribune)

And so on. Ralph Hansen, Salt Ratz owner, is accused of embezzling $2.6 million from IHC. A real stand-up guy.
    To answer your other question, the Blitzz are more likely to become part of the new MSL developmental league, and possibly bring a pro womens' franchise to Utah.

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smart move. MLS doesn't need lower league competition for a fledgling team.

15. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    This surprises me (not to imply I don't believe it or that people are making it up). I know Ralph, not well at all, but would recognize him. His son played in the same age division and were frequently pitted against eachother. Even played with eachother in one of those silly 3 v 3 things. Ralph seemed like a "stand up guy" to me at the time. When he started the Rats I thought it was a generous gesture to the Utah soccer community and felt he was doing all he could to help the sport grow. It is too bad we may not be able to call him an ally any longer for the development of the sport in this state.

16. 4everBlowingBubbles

4everBlowingBubbles New Member

Aug 8, 2004
    The wave at least still have their indoor team.

17. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How many teams are "many". I looked at the MPSL site and the only team that I saw from a previous USL league was the Chico Rooks.

18. Utahfan

Utahfan New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I am located in Bakersfield Ca. There is a contest going on here to name a new PDL Soccer team. All the ads I see mention the following as rival teams that will play in the PDL next year: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and yes Salt Lake City.
    Here is a link
    http://www.bakersfield.com/nametheteam/

19. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that they got confused and meant to refer to BYU's PDL team in Provo. As far as everything looks, the Blitzz are in permanent retirement. I saw the owners at one of the recent events and they said they had considered throwing some kind of goodbye party for the team. Also, the wife is working for RSL from what we hear.