PBP: USWNT WWC '11 Final Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We want a Hope Solo-style response! Tell us how you really feel!

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not yet purchased a ticket.

I'm waiting for a good reason to buy one and waiting for a good reason to slog out to WakeMed (hard to get in & out of) on a weeknight where I'd have to ask off from work and pay a lot for parking.

Meeting you might very well be a worthy reason to drop the ca$h.

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article Averbuch wrote was very good. I feel bad for her in that she specifically did not go to the Flash yet so she could continue to train with the WNT in Florida.

4. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I haven't decided yet, but I might end up choosing to go before the week is out. If I do I'm getting those cheap ass endline tickets. Plus I'd like to meet you as well.

5. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Me too. You can tell she is one of those kids that grew up solely focused on being a soccer player. My fear for her is that her hopes are greater than her abilities at this moment. I do think she has potential and I get the feeling she's a stand up person, I just think it would greatly benefit her if she just focuses on club play. Not because she now has to, but because she still has to get her game "there" if she wants to make a national squad, which most likely will not come if she doesn't develop more.

To those who haven't received call ups or went to camps but didn't make the squad, now would be a great time to work your hiney off! Opportunity may knock sooner than you think. Also don't put all your eggs in the USWNT basket. You have a league, use it!

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PM me if you decide to go. I'm thinking about going but would be more likely to go if I weren't the only person I know interested.

I just had a $400 car repair so I'm counting pennies even more carefully this month. And cheap@ss endline tickets are the only sort I'd purchase ;)

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She seemed fairly well rounded when she was at UNC -- got great grades, etc. But yes, soccer has been her primary focus and since it is her job right now, makes sense.

Totally agree!

8. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    “We have not picked the best 21 players. We picked the 21 players that will do the best together … (We’re) very happy with the 21 we picked and the fact that they are different from each other. Everyone has high expectations.” - Pia

considering she didn't even let numerous people try out who were at one point on the NT and also didn't try out others who proved themselves on the WPS stage, I'd say she didn't find the individuals who PLAY best together but the ones she just personally likes the best. I really don't have other explanations. That and she's personally taking down the US so Sweden has a better chance at a WC victory?

And i love how the ESPN interview starts out with this:
    "YOU'VE BEEN AROUND FOR SUUUUCH A LONG TIME, ABBY" ahaha. yeah, oldest team ever. sorry, second oldest.

9. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    This is totally out of line.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So another vote for 5th Column and not just clueless, comfortable coach?

Abby really is not the problem. I know many folks think she is. But she isn't.

I've joked about Pia being a 5th column for a couple of weeks (at least). But I don't really believe it. I just think she lost the plot over a year ago. I don't think BrooklynSoccer really believes Pia is actively (and intentionally) working to make the USWNT weaker.

People are frustrated. Really frustrated. And that was mild in comparison to what Bob Bradley gets from people who are on the fence about him (forget about what his detractors say).

11. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    :) thank you.

i like a good conspiracy theory. "I have not picked the best US players. I've picked the 21 that WILL do best together" sounds like BS to me. how about you can't predict the future so you should put the best players on the feild, your track record Pia, for logically assessing players current form is horrific.

Pia is out of line.

(i'm not really serious, but I really don't understand her coaching)

and i'll be very happy if she proves us all wrong.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'm not expecting her to overreact but come up with some thing original. As Kolabear said, a Solo-type response would have been better :p. I bet if I had the time I could deconstruct that whole blog, statement by statement and find other articles were those exact same phrasing was used.

But that may just be me again:confused:.

Also, not to sound harsh but she had a outside chance at best of making this squad so I'm kind of confuse why she opted not to start playing with her club team when everyone else was?

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Lakers had one of the best players on paper but everyone saw what happen to them yesterday because they didn't play as a team. Putting the best players on the field does not gaurantee the best team. I thought that was sports knowledge 101??

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the abstract (or in a context that is not this coach and these players), I can see how a team can be well constructed and win with a couple of players that are maybe not the best but fit very well together with the rest and/or offer a specific skill or ability lacking in the others. It s completely possible for a good coach to make a team better than the sum of its pieces.

In this context, it is salt on wounds. I don't think Pia is the sort of coach that can make her teams better than the sum of their pieces.

15. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think that your piece of perfectly good logic bodes well for the U.S. then.

Look at the the known starters and ask your self are they better, stagnated, or gotten worse in the time of WPS. Based on league play you could only say A-Rod has used the league best to grow as a player, but her international level of play is mostly sporadic bad touches and missed opportunities.

Doing well in WPS just doesn't mean much for WNT selection chances right now.

16. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    well luckily professional basketball players aren't like women's national team soccer players.
    I understand what you are saying though - yes.
    but lets treat these girls like adults.

anyway - that same player on the lakers team has won FIVE national championships, including the last 2. That speaks for itself.

Kool - agree w/ your assessment

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    srsly?

Come on man /Chris Carter voice

The ability to think/write so clearly right after receiving what could be a crushing rejection is pretty original. And shows pretty d@mn high character. Sorry that's boring, unoriginal, or uninteresting to you.

She was on the bubble. That's why she gave up her club time/work to dedicate her efforts to trying to make the team. She had a goal and went for it 110%. How is that not understandable and admirable?

eta2: I totally just confused two of you... sorry. names that start w/ b apparently all look alike to me ;)

BrooklynSoccer: I don't get your post #91. I agree w/ Blaze's post #88 (about the best team on paper not ness. being the best team)

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Hence my last statement. Personal preferences I guess.

Yeah I don't get that post either but didn't want to persue it as it could take us off track from the original topic.

19. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for reading what Pia said so I didn't have to. I just feel sick. Back in 2008, I thought there was some logic to her approach. There wasn't enough time to clean house between the Olympics and World Cup. In any case, there was still a lot of skill and speed on the roster, some of which (Hucles, Kai) had never been made proper use of before.

But since winning gold the caution has just become paralysis. It seems like she made her decisions in 2009, and if you weren't on the inside at that time -- no matter what you accomplished before or since -- then you were out for good.

I just thought it was funny.

20. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Yael barly missed the cut. Ohara and Yael had to beat out Lori Lindsay and Lindsay Tarpley. Other 5 midfielders were locks. Pia doesnt even know how to use Yael skills.

It's going to be such a joy watching those backline members and middle midfield of Boxx and LLoyd.

21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Lorrie and usa - good posts and i agree.
    blaze, i'm not sure what i wrote in post 91 - oh well... i'm a bit kooky right now.

well, ya'll. I was thinking about attending germany, but I am doubtful now. bit sad.

on a bright spot, i really hope that morgan's wps play will allow her to start and she gains valuable experience for the next oly's and WC.

22. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    WAIT a second.
    did i even write post 91??
    did LUVDAGAME break into my account?

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lauren Cheney?

[​IMG]

Brasil upgraded their attack with Thais and Maurine. Germany's U20 had 2 legit strikers. WNT (Morgan off of the bench without Marta running the defense ragged)???

24. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    update:

Did anyone else listen to the podcast with Pia, Abby and HAO on ussoccer.com? A few insights form the convo:

1. Rampone got hurt last week - groin injury and isnt' expected to play in the Japan games. I guess they played this hush-hush but a journalist found out and asked.

2. When Pia is asked to explain a players traits and what allowed them to make the team, not once did she mention technical skill, tactical approach or even football savvy - what she did mention - numerous times (especially when speaking about Becky S, Rampone, Amy L, Bhuehler, Cheney, Lloyd, etc) was: "professionalism, loyalty, toughness, pleasure to be around, and humble" - all were mentioned numerous times.

As thought, this team is more about what Pia's profiling of personality traits she prefers as opposed to the best players. (hence Kai and others not even getting a call up recently.)

25. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    update:

Did anyone else listen to the podcast with Pia, Abby and HAO on ussoccer.com? A few insights form the convo:

1. Rampone got hurt last week - groin injury and isnt' expected to play in the Japan games. I guess they played this hush-hush but a journalist found out and asked.

2. When Pia is asked to explain a players traits and what allowed them to make the team, not once did she mention technical skill, tactical approach or even football savvy - what she did mention - numerous times (especially when speaking about Becky S, Rampone, Amy L, Bhuehler, Lloyd, etc) was: "professionalism, loyalty, toughness, pleasure to be around, and humble" - all were mentioned numerous times.

As thought, this team is more about what Pia's profiling of personality traits she prefers as opposed to the best players. (hence Kai and others not even getting a call up recently.)