PBP: USWNT WWC '11 Final Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah. I can't believe she really thinks that...

2. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's easy. Stipulating that Brazil, Germany, England, Nigeria, and Australia are the fastest teams, the USA won't advance far enough to meet them. :eek:

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't see the USA getting out of group play, then?

eta: I submit that at least 2 of our group opponents are faster in very important areas than we are.

4. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    yeah, maybe they should give Morgan the chance to start...

5. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    At least Abby sort of acknowledges that they can be beaten by Sweden and N. Korea on any given day

6. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

I think it's 3 out of 3. But these are still middle of the pack teams for speed in the context of the World Cup.

7. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Did they say anything interesting at the beginning of the chat?

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would.

I think she knows it. They were both very careful to point out that they're just taking it game by game & get out of the group. But not in a "we're just blowing smoke" way. In a we mean it way.

9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've argued against it. But I may be changing my mind. Just the experience of those first WPS games, and doing well, is big in my mind. I wish she had at least half a season of those games but... looking at kool-aide's comparison with the 2008 roster is just depressing. The only place where we can reasonably hope to be significantly better than we were in 2008 is with her.

I'm depressed.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that the only 2008 player dropped of Pia's choosing [accepting that US Soccer doctors won't clear Chalu] was Kai. The Oly roster is only 18.

I think Rapinoe is an upgrade over a usually injured for big tournaments Wagner. No one is an upgrade over Chalu. LePeilbet of last year might be the equivalent of Markgraf but she's just in such bad form right now (and not an outside back).

11. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gosh, do I dare say it?

It's not like any of us has been saying this wasn't going to be at least semi-tough.

12. Ads13

Ads13 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    No one expects winning a major international competition to be a cakewalk. It would be nice though, now that the roster is set, if the US coaching staff would pick more effective formations and tactics and not make this World Cup more difficult than it already is. (For example, maybe straying from the 4-4-2 or perhaps never putting LePeilbet at outside back). Trotting out the same lineup or formation throughout a grueling tournament isn't going to help the cause.

13. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    She is now and congratulations to her, and I would be surprised if it wasn't the GK coaches call.

I like the idea of doing it now and getting it out of the way so the players can stop worrying about it and start wrapping their heads around Germany.

There is only one coach who has been in two Women's World Cup finals. Last week he said women peak around 27 (or 28 can't remember).

You want your Alex Morgan's to keep the locker room fresh, and your Christie Rampone's to keep it real, but I'm not sure you can target a better average age.

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw that. Harris comes up big in the big games and she's proven it a number of times. With North Carolina, in WPS last year, and (I believe) with the U20s.

And she has the unique background of having done it as a sub as well (Dorrance platooned his GKs at North Carolina for a while when she was recovering from her ACL injuries - Harris would come in for the 2nd half)

I'm a big Val Henderson fan being UCLA and all that, but my respect for Ashlyn Harris is tremendous. It would be hard for me to be objective if Val was in the mix but I would have no problem with people taking Ashlyn over Val.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    This isn't correct. Wait until you see the other teams rosters.

I loath Pia.

Yes, great article from Yael - She is a quality person.

17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I question this. Not questioning that the peak age is 27 or 28 but whether the average should be that. The problem is once you go past that peak, it seems you tend to go downhill a little faster. The downhill slope is steeper than the uphill side.

I'm speculating here or repeating what I take to be conventional wisdom. If true, then of course you want players 27 or 28, but the average should be less than that.

18. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm glad I stuck to my plan of slowly, emotionally detaching myself from this team. I hope the best for them, but I can't get behind a line-up like this and it has nothing to do with left over paranoia from 07.

They will have to answer to public and themselves if they are served up a plate of their words if they don't deliver. I have heavy doubts, but I love how time reveals truths, therefore I will wait and give them the chance to prove themselves, despite my intuition.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Just read that and did she say anything original in that blog. The hold thing read like a speech I've heard a million times from various athletes on ESPN.

20. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Probably borrowed a few Anson gems like Mia did. :cool:

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OurGameMag quick piece on the roster.

Pia sounds deluded.

And Blaze, what do you want her to say. She says she was angry, disapointed, etc. But she says she has to move forward with new goals and new determination. You want her to burn her practice gear a la Agoos?

22. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  24. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear, the average age you were responding to (26.6) is not the average for all players on the squad (which is 27.4). It is the average age of the players on this squad who were not on the 2008 Olympics roster. That there is so little difference between the two illustrates that there is little real new blood; the first-timers are mostly drawn from players who have already been on the fringes of the national team for many years.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know other top teams will have some younger players. I think I've been very clear over the last year (at least) that I am not at all supportive of the way Pia has built and selected her team.

However, the average age of the WWC winning team in 2007 (26.4) was higher than that of the winning team in 1991. The average age of the WWC winning team in 2003 was also higher (25.75) [note: German averages are in my quick, assuming wiki has the ages right calculations].

Yes, I would have some younger players if I'd had a year to build the team. Yes, I would have some different players if I was just allowed to pick tomorrow from the batch available. But the German team this summer and the German team 4 years ago and the German team 8 years ago had a higher average age than 23.8.

eta: Perhaps I should have more correctly said that the 1991 winning team was an outlier in average age more b/c the oldest two players were 27 (a back up keeper & April Heinrichs)