USWNT vs Spain, Oct 11 2022 in Spain

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Sep 23, 2022.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I decided to go ahead and start this thread, as we watch what is happening with the Spanish WNT.

The USWNT will play Spain during their 2022 European tour on October 11. The game will be played in Pamplona and will be televised on ESPN2 at 2:30 pm ET.

The Spanish federation had announced (and subsequently multiple media outlets had reported) that 15 Spanish national team players had resigned from the team and would not return until the coach was fired. They said that they could issue bans of up to 5 years to those players.

But the players made this public statement in response:

1573354612991873024 is not a valid tweet id

Becky Sauerbrunn and Megan Rapinoe (and possibly other USWNT players) have made statements of support for the players on social media, so as the story continues to develop, I think this match proceeding as originally planned should not be a foregone conclusion at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for those like me who have little context for what is happening, some places to start:

First, a Twitter thread with some translated quotes about recent history with the Spanish WNT, but note that this is about Quereda, not Vilda (but it has key quotes about how the federation was responding then):

And an article about some of the recent history in which apparently the players have asked Vilda to step down (and why) and what is happening now with the team: https://sportingher.com/seven-years-and-zero-titles-later-its-time-for-jorge-vilda-to-leave/

And an Equalizer article that is pretty up-to-date as things keep progressing daily: https://equalizersoccer.com/2022/09...ge-federation-threaten-suspension-media-role/

To me (and I'm willing to be corrected if someone knows more), it sounds like there's not any actual abuse under Vilda (as far as we know) but the players have some valid concerns about his management style and his lack of qualifications for the job. Plus, they do not get the support they need from the federation (no surprise there). But, I don't think either the players or the federation have handled these concerns well. It also sounds like there's a pretty toxic NT environment now; it's hard to see how they move forward.

Namdynamo and blissett repped this.
  3. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    If you read the comments from Marca and other Spanish outlets, the sentiment is still pretty backwards. Not necessarily support for the Spanish FA but more against the women footballers. In addition, the communications from the players was private to the FA. The FA is the one who chose to make this public.

4. BCFy

BCFy Member

Sounders FC
    United States
    Sep 20, 2021
    Seattle, WA
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #5 hotjam2, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    There’s a few Catch-22’s in this as the players are accusing the coach of ‘emotional distress’ but I believe made it clear it’s not inappropriate behavior.

Vilda was an major influence as well as coached some what’s got to be regarded as the best youth woso program in the world(their current u17 & u20 World Champs)

possibly cultural differences too as Spain might not as readily accept women’s empowerment movement like we do/or at least their woso soccer federation might be stacked with predominantly men in power

Namdynamo repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be up to USSF, not the players, because if the current CBA is similar to previous ones, there would be a no strike/no lockout clause. And for USSF, there is a contract/money involved. USSF would be more likely to cancel if there was actual evidence of abuse involved, but not as it currently stands, imo.

I do expect the US players to make some act of solidarity though, at the very least a statement.

ytrs and Bob Lamm repped this.
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posting the US roster here (after Howell replaced Kornieck) for everyone's reference:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Aubrey Kingsbury (Washington Spirit), Casey Murphy (North Carolina Courage), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)
    DEFENDERS (7): Alana Cook (OL Reign), Crystal Dunn (Portland Thorns FC), Emily Fox (Racing Louisville FC), Naomi Girma (San Diego Wave FC), Sofia Huerta (OL Reign), Hailie Mace (Kansas City Current), Becky Sauerbrunn (Portland Thorns FC)
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Sam Coffey (Portland Thorns FC), Savannah DeMelo (Racing Louisville FC), Lindsey Horan (Olympique Lyon, FRA), Jaelin Howell (Racing Louisville FC), Rose Lavelle (OL Reign), Kristie Mewis (NJ/NY Gotham FC), Ashley Sanchez (Washington Spirit), Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit)
    FORWARDS (6): Ashley Hatch (Washington Spirit), Mallory Pugh (Chicago Red Stars), Megan Rapinoe (OL Reign), Trinity Rodman (Washington Spirit), Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns FC), Alyssa Thompson (Total Futbol Academy)

jackdoggy and Bob Lamm repped this.
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carson Pickett will join the team in Spain since Fox is in concussion protocol:

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    the rebellious 15 still haven't gone back to Spain's NT, meantime their coach had said "his feelings are hurt". But Spain did manage to tie Sweden 1-1 in the first encounter with their newly formed B squad. the one to llok out for is 21 year old winger named Del Castillo. Has some really good dribbling skills as she chops her way through various opposing defenses(she plays for Real Madrid)

Namdynamo and kolabear repped this.
  10. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Bonjour from Lyon France...gonna try and watch this via some dodgy ESPN2 site.
    Wish me luck

blissett and ytrs repped this.
  11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    A game is happening.

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was expecting the Spanish B team to use the ticky tacky, but it’s the US with if’s own passing versin dominating possession right now

14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the T.V. cameras a mile away or are my 137 year old eyes finally giving out?

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Spanish GK is punching balls she could easily catch. If that keeps up the US just needs to keep flighting balls into the goal area and, eventually, there will be a goal.

I wish the STUPID commentators would just SHUT UP. It is not necessary to discuss soccer politics during the match. It take away from the enjoyment of the match.

16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not know about the cameras but the microphones are way too close in the booth.

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Spanish player I was hyping previously—#10 De Castello, not even starting. Maybe she joined the rebellion?

18. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #18 Cannons, Oct 11, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    OMG.... 23 minutes, no shots. Where will the goals come from Vlat? Rapinoe? bahahaha. Were bad so far

Spoke too soon. Now we're down 1-0 To a Spain B team

kolabear repped this.
  19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not think Rapinoe will score. (but there is always the possibility her body remember some of the greatness she used to have)

Rapinoe is rapidly playing herself out of any further involvement in the play of the USWNT. She may be a leader but she is even making stupid and lazy errors.

Spain is gradually playing themselves into a dominate position in this match. Things could still go either way but it is looking more like a 0-0 draw with few shots on goal either way.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The US is losing.

21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The ticky tacky has an habit of lulling you to sleep//in this case the US defense 1-0 Spain. B team

kolabear repped this.
  22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Spain scores simply because the US cannot clear the ball. Incompetent defending and I hope the players standing around watching learned that just watching is not how to play defense in front of your own goal.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Set pieces. Set pieces. Set pieces. Someone has to clear that. Pickett probably should have.

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rapinoe is not even hitting decent corners. The primary justification for having her play is rapidly going away.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are you going to the Germany game in Ft. Lauderdale 11/10? I'm planning on being there if all goes well.