USWNT vs Nigeria, September 2022

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Aug 22, 2022.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Second half has begun.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Pugh earns another dangerous foul. This one is a penalty.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Morgan takes the penalty to make it 4-0.

4. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Speed wins again.

5. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Is there such a thing as a holding 9? If there is, Alex is playing it.

taosjohn repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Pugh Smith and Horan out for Rapinoe Sanchez and Purce

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Morgan out for Hatch
    Lavelle out for Mewis
    Fox out for Mace

8. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Poor Becky... when your defensive winger has to run around your center back to make a play on the charging striker...

fire123 repped this.
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Final

USA 4 Nigeria 0

See you in DC.

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    She often does-- was a big part of the 2015 WC. Other teams were worn down just getting out of their own end.

I've been arguing for some years that she is the greatest defensive striker of all time. (Haven't generated much interest, though...)

Bob Lamm and NCChiFan repped this.
  11. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    I've just noticed your Bill James quote. I remember SO long ago when I first discovered his brilliant work. It was just as he was going from being rather obscure to the beginning of becoming known. I was overwhelmed! Thanks for this lovely moment remembering when I first read one of his books.

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Boy, Waldrum's done a nice job there; their attack is suddenly fluid and flexible, no longer dependent on speed and strength alone.

I thought Rose had a terrific game, just being a can opener in the offensive end. Pass after pass that found the vulnerable point. I wonder if she expects to coach someday...

Pinoe had a terrific game too, about as good as it gets in a limited minutes garbage-time appearance. I keep expecting her to show age related brittleness, but she just keeps being more and more resilient.

Naeher is convincing me it is too early to just give the job to Murphy. Good outing.

Mace seemed a bit uncertain just where she was supposed to be a lot; you could see the tools though.

Huerta was sterling. Fox was effective even though her passing seemed to be off. Horan was doing a very creditable Popp imitation. Sofia Smith screws up a lotta chances-- but she creates so many that even if her conversion rate is poor, her counts are excellent.

Pugh. Pugh. Pugh pew pew, all fall down you've all been shot...

Lauren Gregg sighting, the first in 20-25 years...

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not Waldrum's doing. Nigeria looked better before Waldrum came on and moved away from a game based solely on speed and strength years ago.

14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Hard to tell what Vlat's long term plan is. Some players are obvious, others ...who knows? I'll just stick with ones that I think are not a sure thing. Morgan - I dont know what to think? other than the PK, she seemed mostly invisible. Either the wheels are gone or other teams are simply faster now. Is she the plan going forward? I hope not cause she seems to have lost a step or two. Rapinoe - Im sorry but she is so finished. I started counting her poor passes and gave up. Slow, Lazy and no longer that useful. Vlat has to stop wasting minutes on her. She's had her day and its over.
    I really hope to see some of the newer players next time out. We really have to start developing more, younger players to go along with the young, fast forwards we have.

Namdynamo and jjmack repped this.
  15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Hmmm. Got to say I didn't see it happening at all against us right through the last time we played them. How many years ago was that?

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time we played them was last year (right before the Olympics), but Waldrum was already coach. But, you can go all the way back to the 2015 WWC game, and see that Nigeria wasn't playing just a speed/power game. Followers of the Nigerian WNT would say the team's form has dipped since Waldrum has become coach (and their record shows it).

Nigeria is a good team, and the scoreline would not have been 4-0 had Nigeria not been missing 6 starters, regardless of who was coach. They just don't have the depth that the US does; really, no team has the depth that the US does.

blissett repped this.
  17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    If you say so.

Got to say it seemed to me that their reaction to every confrontation was still to try to push past or run past or usually both. The kind of weaving passes we saw on the third seemed new to me; admittedly the team was improving each time out, and getting more sophisticated on an individual level; but I never saw much tactical change on the group level until now...

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Should be Rodman taking her place or some other young forward.

19. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I believe the answer is Macario, if she returns to form. Hatch being a back, back up. Though Hatch isn't exactly young. These appear to be the 9's. Rodman is a winger along with Williams if she can ever return to form. I think tougher decisions lie ahead in the midfield, depending on players coming back from injury and maternity... And defence, same issues with Dalkamper, O'Brian, Dunn, and Davidson along with the current crew.

Namdynamo, Klingo3034 and Cannons repped this.
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Rapinoe and Morgan are almost locks to be on the team.

21. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, just had a conversation in the Hotel Lobby across the street from the Stadium with Kristine Lilly……….

KRISTINE LILLY

jnielsen, Cheetah101, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Is there a link to the 1st Nigeria game available yet?

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

ytrs and Klingo3034 repped this.
  24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is also available on the FOX sports app. If you can tolerate the crappy commentators.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That was a half.