USWNT U-20 CONCACAF

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Klingo3034, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Preseason game started cause you talking like she’s playing and was hurt?

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If that's what she thinks, she's (mostly) mistaken. It's more a question of judgment than attitude.

A clearer case is Hope Solo's. What you (imo absolutely) want is a GK who thinks she "would have made those saves." What you don't want is having her express those feelings publicly during a competition, in a way that undermines her coach and teammate(s).

What you want (as a coach) is the fiercely competitive attitude Kelley O'Hara brings to the field every day, but not at the expense of team unity. Players criticize their coaches all the time, and O'Hara might have been 100% correct in her criticism, yet evidently she chose the wrong time and place to speak out.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I believe this question has little meaning and even less importance. It was the coach's decision to handle her in the way she was handled and the US easily won the tournament so whatever the reasons were they weer sufficient and probably correct.

Maybe she was injured and maybe they had reason to take her because they thought or were told she would be fully ready. The roster was large enough to allow one or two players to be included with some doubt as to their actual availability. It also may be that when she got time, particularly in her one start, she felt something that was concerning to the trainers or even to her and, since she really was not needed, she was subbed. There also might have been some agreement with her club coach to limit her play if there was any doubt as to her injury status.

All of those "maybes" are possible but none address her quality. In each match there are only three sub available and few coaches will risk starting a player unless they are pretty sure that player is good for at least 60 minutes.

The coach should not really be second guessed after such a successful tournament. Smith will get plenty of playing time on her club team and, more than likely, on future full national team callups. The fact that her playing time was limited in this tournament does not really mean anything.

One more thing: The staff might be strongly planning to have her on the regular roster for the U20 WWC this year and they might have wanted her to continue to integrate fully with the team.

There are many "possibilities" and virtually none of them bespeaks anything incompetent about any of the staff involved.

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only actual comment on Sophia Smith (from a journalist) that I can find (posted during the group stage):

Namdynamo and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like a re-injury.

6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    No, he cut O'hara because of her attitude. As Kelley stated herself.

I don't think Press ever played a match for u20.

I think the second player that Tony mentions is Casey N. She was on the 2006 team and not the 2008 team but of age.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Yeah, and part oF that was to not have to the camps all other players had to leave their teams for during the season.

I think she played in qualifiers, then decided before the final WC selection, which I think was in June, to not continue on the team after the May decision to require that the players commit to the NT

Casey was a unc player who elected to stay at school, where the did win the ncaa’s. She did play with the u20s for the Pan am games in 2007 Came in second to Brazil’s full team. She was getting a few caps on the full team by World Cup time. First cap was in early 2007.[/QUOTE]

8. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    [/QUOTE]
    Why do you keep saying it's because of "camps" when both parties involved say it's because of Kelley's attitude. lol. Kelley SAID she didn't have to decide because her she was kicked off for her attitude before she had to decide. Tony SAID he kicked her off for her attitude, not because of camp schedules.

according to USsoccer and Wiki, Press never played in an official u20 match, so she didn't play in the u20 2008 qualifiers, let alone the 2006 U20 WC.

So, who's the second player that was on the 2006 u20 WC team that Tony said he kicked off the u20 2008 team (besides Kelley O'hara)? My bet is still Casey.