USWNT and race

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    lil_one: thanks so much for posting all these videos and for so helpfully noting exactly where to go to hear the comments by Ali Krieger, Kelley O'Hara, and Carli Lloyd. I was very moved by Krieger's statements.

ytrs repped this.
  2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    YES! I was just coming to say the same thing. I was so impressed with Krieger's interview and comments. She is very bright.

jjmack and Bob Lamm repped this.
  3. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #103 BrooklynSoccer, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    What's Kaiya's full name? Unfortunate she had to leave the game - Where is the longer interview, we should all know the specifics of how the NWSL let their Black players down.

As for kneeling/the article - The political right misconstrued the act of kneeling to be an insult to our flag, servicemen and country. Some on the left are now doing the same, but from the opposite perspective - If you DON'T kneel, then you don't support Black players and your insulting our country. It's a false equivalency, just as kneeling is offensive to our country. (the author mentions this, but seems to want it both ways.)

The author, Carlisle, doesn't interview anyone on the team but feels entitled to speak for Black players on the team without a single reference or quote.

Crystal Dunn's view form this summer on kneeling @ 21:48: "I believe people should have the right to protest during it or not protest during it" (although she was clear she did appreciate when people kneeled. personally I agree. and agree with Krieger's statement)

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgMHBVJdKsw

Side note - Where are André Carlisle articles (or any articles for that matter) about the Men's national team not all kneeling? Is this another male double standard pointing fingers at women?

blissett repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Megan Rapinoe got asked a very similar question (by the same reporter) as was asked to Krieger, and her answer was so spot on. In substance, it's not that different from what Krieger said, but she's clearer (question starts at 12:20):

Bob Lamm repped this.
  5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her full name is Kaiya McCullough, and she played at UCLA and then was with the Washington Spirit last year before being waived. I believe she's now in Germany. Full episode is here: https://anchor.fm/diaspora-united

This is partly why I have mixed feelings, and still do. To be clear, I don't fully agree with the author of the article, but he does articulate well why standing (especially when the majority are kneeling, especially on MLK Day, and especially when the team have had conversations about it) is also not sitting well with me. And, I also know that some of mixed feelings are because I am white. I'm just being honest, and saying I'm trying to figure it out, and I don't think it cuts as clearly as you're expressing. For example, I don't think Lloyd got the backlash strictly for standing. It was her answer of "Well, I was away in my house in the woods" and the context of her "all lives matter" statements last summer. O'Hara's answer didn't get the same kind of treatment. So, media (at least in woso circles, for the most part) are not painting all players who are standing with one brush.

No. He doesn't cover men's soccer, and as far as I can tell he only covers the NWSL and the USWNT.

sitruc repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    you cannot on one hand say - "we must be able to protest in anyway we would like" and then on the other hand say, "you did not protest to my standards". When you take away all the sensationalized media out, it's logic.

(the team was wearing BLM jackets on their official National team kits, the entire team was protesting)

Bob Lamm repped this.
  7. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    It just isn't said enough: it's very important that everyone on the team is wearing Black Lives Matter jackets. I greatly admire them for doing so.

jnielsen, BrooklynSoccer and ytrs repped this.
  8. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Since it seems the world is going through a reckoning with race/ethnicity/gender/identity/culture/religion, we should compile a list of countries whose athletes have staged national anthem protests during international competition. Feel free to add to the list.

I'll start:
    1) USA

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Does it seem that way to you? It doesn't to me. Maybe it's because no other country had Muss- I mean, trump as its leader. Feel fortunate to be where you are and stop worrying about what happens here. That's my best advice.

10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    If you are refering to taking a knee before the game, Sweden WNT did that against Hungary. But I am pretty sure they didn't protest against the national anthem.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Nobody is protesting against the national anthem no matter how bad it may be.

12. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think I would qualify wearing a jacket saying black lives matter as “protesting”. Curious that it’s taken that way. When teams wear pink jerseys for breast cancer I don’t hear it framed as them “protesting”.

sitruc and JanBalk repped this.
  13. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Black Lives Matter IS a protest organization @JanBalk
    It is, by definition, a decentralized political and social movement.

So yes, wearing BLM on the front of a national team jersey is using your platform to protest for a political and social movement.

Wearing Pink is used to raise awareness and often money for cancer research. Cancer and systemic racism are not the same thing.

jnielsen and Bob Lamm repped this.
  14. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supporting a social movement does not equate to protest. That’s literally not what the word means.

sitruc, JanBalk and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't usually care to piggyback off other posters, but I do want to point out that, IMO, the discussion of whether the SSB is the target of the protest is neither here nor there. It's important not to care whether the "anthem" is being protested, defiled, insulted or not. It it stood for me more often, I might be more inclined to care enough to explain to the naysayers, but it doesn't stand for me, and neither do they.

16. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #116 BrooklynSoccer, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    BLM is a political and social movement and organization (you left out "political" your rebuttal).

Wearing pink is for health awareness, in support of broader Breast Cancer screening.

I also think you're trying to detach BLM from its years of history, in the context of thousand of political marches, peaceful and violent, from the legal and political demands made by the BLM organization, while also ignoring how BLM has been politicized as a protest movement by both the left and the right.

JanBalk and Bob Lamm repped this.
  17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at it this way:

The United States was founded based on underlying ideals.

As a constitutional representative democracy with a separation of powers form, the United States has been, is, and always will be a work in progress towards the realization of its underlying ideals. Further, because humans are human, the United States always will fall short of the perfect realization of those ideals.

From time to time, individual citizens and citizen groups believe that the United States is falling short of its underlying ideals and seek ways of calling the citizenry and their institutions (government and otherwise) to face up to the shortcomings and to do better. The ways they choose to do this vary and may be well chosen, mistaken, counter-productive, or even contrary to the underlying ideals they purport to espouse, such is the nature of the work in progress.

Some athletes and groups of athletes believe that the United States is falling short of its ideals in the areas of human racial, sexual, and ethnic diversity. One of the ways they have chosen to call on the citizenry and their institutions to face up to this and do better is by kneeling for the national anthem when played at athletic contests -- and, along with the kneeling, explaining why they are doing it

In this context, the nature of what the athletes are doing -- whether they are right or wrong -- and that some people will not like it is characteristic of our underlying national ideals and our form of government. This is the way the process works and is supposed to work.

CoachJon repped this.
  18. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Right on the mark. All of this. The analogy to supporting breast cancer screening, breast cancer research, and breast cancer survivors (all admirable efforts), is ridiculous. In response to breast cancer support, no one expresses vehement opposition by screaming "Lung Cancer Matters."

Are the members of the U.S. women's national team engaging in "protest"? Should we have long debates about that word? No. They are public figures using their celebrity status to make a powerful statement of solidarity with a very controversial protest movement that many white people hate. And doing it TOGETHER as a team, game after game.

I have great respect for these soccer stars for doing so. And I have great respect for people on this board who express their solidarity. It's worth saying here, too: Black Lives Matter. And, as the WNBA players said together for an entire season, as they were working to get one of their owners out of public office and get Raphael Warnock elected to the U.S. Senate: Say Her Name: Breonna Taylor.