USVI at Canada -- 2nd leg Olympic Qual. [R]

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canadian_Supporter, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Canada 14 USVI 0

At least Canada got through the two games without any serious injuries. I am sure this is a record for most goals by a men's team in a competitive match.

Note the name for the USVI keeper. :)

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1466

Attendance: 3,050
    Canada 14 (7)
    USVI 0 (0)
    Goals: Canada – 4-Pozniak (5, 33); 10-Masciantonio (8); 11-Friend (24, 25, 40,); 8-Gordin Chin (44); Peters (47); Placentino (69); Thompson (75); Braz (87)

Canada: 22-Andrew Olivieri; 3-Justin Thompson; 4-Chris Pozniak (15-Mathieu Savaria, 46); 5-Adam Braz; 7-Chris Williams; 8-Gordon Chin (12-Rocco Placentina, 65); 9-Elliott Godfrey (14-Jaime Peters, 46); 10-David Masciantonio; 11-Rob Friend; 13-Atiba Hutchinson; 17-Andres Arango
    Head Coach - Bruce Twamley
    Subs not used: 1-Simon Rayner; 16-Semir Mesanovic

USVI: 1-Russell Post IV; 2-Jarrell Maurice Arnold; 3-Augustine Woodley; 4-Todd Gentilucci (14-Francisco Fonseca, 37); 5-Dwayne Thomas; 6-Daren Subnaik (15-Zebadiah Ravsatt, 65); 7-Cuthbert Martyr; 8-Ian Tracy; 9-Shane Dalton; 10-Stephen Walker; 11-Kareem Wrensford

2. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    I suppose at a certain point everyone stops counting, but 3 of Friend's goals are missing from the summary. He ended the game with 6.

3. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  4. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Be a bear and go for Saskatoon. What is a little 20 below zero between friends? Heck, were playing the Grey Cup (Canadian Football) in Regina at the end of November.

5. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Oh yeah, and the Canada West university playoffs in soccer are at about the same time in Saskatoon. perfect choice IMHO.

6. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Report

I attended the game. There was a fair crowd, over 3K, and more importantly the stadium looked full. Clearly the crowd, who were overwhelmingly young, lacked soccer cheering experience. A few quiet "lets go canada lets go" chants was the total of the singing. But a good enough showing to warrant more games in St John, I hope.

Friend started slow, loked clumsy, and then started to convert chances. His last goal, a diving header, was excellent. He did miss a point blank opportunity with only the goalie to beat from about 8 yards by putting the ball way way over the bar.

Masciantonio was a force thoughout. He really huistled. Did a lot along the right sideline early on.

Hutchison was impressive as a defensive midfielder, but there was never really much of an attack to break up.

Godfrey did well, providing some nice passing around the box.

Williams did very well wide left, serving in some excellent crosses and making space for himself.

Chin played poorly, giving away the ball frequently.

Peters came on at the half and scored 2 minutes later. He played well, passed very well, ran by a couple people on the dribble. Based on that performance, he should be a regular in the squad if not first choice on the field. A great debut.

I think I have the players straight. The local soccer organization provided a very basic program without jersey numbers, so I am going with the numbers listed elsewhere, but they seem to fit.

So all in all a very encouraging performance. I was at Foxboro when Canada beat CR 1-0 in July. That was a young team, too. Things are starting to look better up here...

7. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    We should use the cold climate to our advantage against El Salvador. Put it in Saskatoon or somewhere cold. Our players will be able to handle the cold much better than El Salvador.

8. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    I've heard through the grapevine that it will likely be in Vancouver.

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Throw out the advantage.

10. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
  11. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Haha... I didn't even notice that the first time I looked at the picture. :)