Ustari Or Abbondanzieri; Argentina's No.1

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by pittsy1, Dec 18, 2006.

1. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    Oscar Ustari, one of Independiente's most promising players? Who should be Argentina's first-choice keeper, has more potential and great reflexes. Forget Leo Franco lol. Although Roberto Abbondanzeiri is older and more experienced, who do you think should be Argentina's No.1?

2. FWS93

FWS93 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I think its still Pato's spot, bring Ustari along over the next couple of years, but right now let him learn from Pato.

would like to see Barbosa get a call sometime too

3. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The spot will eventually go to Ustari so why wait, he kid can play now and should be doing so. I also like Barbosa and Carrizo played great this year.

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Pato should still be there. From what I've heard he's been great for Getafe so far.

Ustari and Carrizo are the ones for the future.

5. Castroman

Castroman New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Brazilians call up their 18 yrs old players to play and prepare them for big tournaments we sit back and say hey bring back the old guys the youngsters are for the future? what future? this is the future and it should start now if these guys dont get some playing time against big challenges there will be no future and they'll stay on the bench with no experience :>

6. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
  7. FWS93

FWS93 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Queens, New York

only saw one game Pato played with Getafe, against Real Madris, they won 1-0 and he was brilliant!

8. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's still Pato's spot, and if this season is anything to go by, Carrizo will win the spot from Ustari soon.

9. golazo26

golazo26 New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    It's gotta be Pato. Give Ustari some chances in friendlies but Pato deserves the Number 1 still.

10. Norteamericoya

Dec 24, 2003
    Chico
    Tiene que ser Ustari. Todos sabemos que el pende sera el g'meta por un rato largo - por que no empezar ya? Tiene que ocurrir en algun momento, no? Y no vengan con esto de que Oski juege en los amistosos y el Pato en los torneos... no vale. Tiene que ser el mismo en ambas circunstancias para que vaya poniendo su sello sobre el elenco.

11. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Porque Ustari? Esta temporada, Carrizo se lucio, se impuso, brillo, y es uno para el futuro.

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Agree. Carrizo was excellent this Apertura. But Ustari was very good also. He was huge in the game against Racing.

13. Norteamericoya

Dec 24, 2003
    Chico
    Carrizo, Ustari, a good problem to have, no? Yo vi mas partidos de CAI que de CARP, pero por lo que vi de Carrizo estuvo muy bien. Pero lo que veo en Ustari es algo especial.

Maybe if I quit my job and watched all the games I'd be more informed! :)

14. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There are players who perform at club level and choke at the International level. Like Palermo is the man for Boca, he's the chicken for the Blue and White. Pato shares those same qualities.

Simply put, Pato sucks for Argentina.

Ustari is our man.

15. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    what about Barbosa? he has been great this season with Villarreal.

16. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    What the hell are you talking about? Pato was great in the WC.

17. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pato was, along with Maxi Rodriguez, our best player at the WC. Don't take friendlies into account in this.

And even if Ustari is great for Independiente he hasn't had a chance to suck for the NT (Not stating that he will).

18. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He had his moments, but compared to other goalies of his caliber he was clumsy, his positions were off and his anticipation of the attack was bleak.

His preparations for the World Cup along with the friendlies were abysmal.
    His recent game vs Brazil another reason I don't trust him as our goal keeper.

Not much more I can say to make my point, he's just bad. Even this season in Boca he was crap. If it was for Boca's solid defense, how many situations would he have been caught web footed.

That's my opinion anyway.

19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    No he wasn't. He was solid all around and there are more than a few people who believe that if he hadn't gone out injured in the match against Germany, Argentina would have gone through.

Who cares about friendlies? At the highest stage, the WC he was great.

:rolleyes:. No he isn't. Right now stat wise he's one of the best keepers in Spain with a shit defense in front of him.

This season? You mean this Apertura? You do know that he wasn't the keeper this Apertura right? :rolleyes:.

And I thought you were talking about the NT?

For Boca he's had his shakey moments but he was still a solid keeper who won a shitload of stuff with the club.

For the NT he was great at the WC.

Even a fellow gallina admited he was great. Stop the bias.

20. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He had his moments in the World Cup, but I never felt comfortable with him in net. Those are my opinions, sorry, but I'm not going to change them.

I highly doubt that. Germany's formation was in a momentous attacking pattern and it was up to the midfield to keep control. I don't know if it was Pekerman's decision to break up the key pattern Argentina had throughout the game. For instance taking out Riquelme who wasn't tired, a player that can pretty much keep a ball dead from the opposing position or including the wrong subs or panicking and making the wrong substitution decisions when Pato got injured. On the other side the defense for making it practically a walk in the park for Klose, Ballack etc. I don't think Pato would have made that much of a difference. What was unfortunate was Pato becoming injured at the wrong time and pretty much causing Pekerman and the rest of the team to fall apart and losing their objective. You could argue Pato's poor goalie sense caused his own injury in accepting (or going after) the ball the wrong way or you could argue that Franco was scared to death when coming on. I only present the possibilities don't get your head in a knot if you disagree with my points. Football fans are such a sensitive bunch :rolleyes:

Whoops! Yes I mean last Clausura. I know he's doing great in Spain, but I have seen nearly every Argentina game in the last 2 years. I still will say he is still a very bad goal keeper.

If I were to argue why he is doing so good in La Liga, well it's La Liga. I think the caliber of La Liga is dropping down. It's too easy for him and it's not like Serie A (which is rising again), the German League or the EPL where the offense is much more energetic and furious. This year La Liga is boring and so are the attacks. With the exception of Barcelona on their best days, it doesn't have that intensity it use to. This is just an early assessment, but it reminds me of Serie A's drop in dominance in the very late 90's. Anyway, this is my point again, and I'm not going to argue this point. Take it with a grain of salt.

The only reason why he was the top choice in Argentina for all these years, is because essentially Argentina produces bad goal keepers. I use to support Lux as our number one, but as the year progressed I stared seeing him losing that dexterity he had. I knew it was the right call not to put him at the World Cup. Pato only gets his reputation through his championships, playing for Boca and his experience. Maybe the Bostero's don't see it, but as far as I know, a lot of people questioned his abilities even after the World Cup. The only reason he was given the starting position was his experience. I would have preferred Ustari as backup and Franco as starter. However this topic title mentions the future of Argentina and there is no way that I think Pato deserves another shot.

Also friendlies do matter
    This is the only time when you show you are made for the top level. Friendlies say a lot about the player. That's fact.

As far as "being bias" I don't see it. I'm being fair in my comments. I did admit in my first post he's the type of man that is solid for his clubs. Elaborating on that I don't think he was great any one time at the World Cup or in friendlies.

Also not to nitpick, but this ":rolleyes:" is annoying. Using it doesn't necessarily make your posts more intelligent. I use it, but only when I need to convey a certain message or expression in my writing.

Anyway, I know what your trying to say, but I still stand firm with my beliefs. Which are: I do not think Pato is national team material.

21. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    aerez, I take it you aren't a football fan then :D

But seriously: Pato was more than solid in the WC, I'm pretty sure he inspired defenders who usually aren't NT quality (Burdisso playing splendidly, Colocinni not getting sent off). He convinced me, one of the most vehement supporters of Lux as the starter for the NT, and he convinced quite a few gallinas as well (which also leads me to believe that you aren't a gallina either).

Pato remains a top keeper, and despite what I want to believe, he was still a class goalie at Boca (Except against River :D).

And how can you state that the level of La Liga is going down? It's still a top league, with teams like Sevilla and Valencia, and forwards like David Villa and Diego Milito. There is football there outside of Barca, and it's quite good too. Is it really that hard for you to give credit where it's due?

And by the way, he came out correctly for the ball when he got injured. He was unlucky that Klose didn't, and it was Klose who jammed I think his leg into Pato's side.

22. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Wow!! I actually agree with all of your post. The only difference in La Liga from last season to this is that the league is more balanced. That's good I would say, not a slip down. Also Klose should have been carded for taking out El Pato. Good post gallina.

23. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    News: "Creo que hasta junio estoy"

El arquero asegura que en junio debe renovar contrato y que su ilusión es ganar un título en Independiente. Aunque acepta que Messi le da "señales".

More...

24. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I think it's not a question of who should be Argentina's no. 1 right now, because who the No1 right now is fairly irrelevant. I think the focus should be on developing the No1 four years from now. Ustari is a prodigy and in order to develop him, he needs to be given big games. If Argentina does that, then in 2010, we'll have a 23 yr old goalkeeper with solid international experience.

There is little reason for Pato to be playing friendlies, I'm not really sure how Argentina benefits from that. I think he's a good gk, but the focus should be on developing a new one, not giving the old one more games, (and Pato does play at a high level every week in Spain, so it's not like he's not being tested at the highest level).

25. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    i agree each and every points.