USSF Waiver Process - A Frustrating Catch After Approval

Discussion in 'Coach' started by ImaPuppy, Aug 18, 2014.

1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    There may be others here who are experiencing the same frustrations that I am, so I thought I'd look for some help or just commiserate with the others:

TL;DR version at the bottom.

I have held my UEFA B License for a couple years. In June, upon looking through the process of obtaining my USSF coaching licenses, I came across the waiver application. If you're not familiar with it, the waiver allows you to apply directly to either the USSF B or USSF C license courses, depending on a combination of professional playing/coaching experience, holding one of the NSCAA diplomas for a minimum of 12 months, or holding the equivalent foreign license (USSF B = UEFA B).

Long story short, I received a letter 3 or so weeks after sending in my documentation stating that I had been approved to "apply for and attend" the USSF B license course. I was pleased by this and patiently waited for registration to open for the November 1-9 course in Casa Grande, AZ, which would also be hosting the A License course.

I knew these are highly sought after and sell out quickly so I waited until this morning (August 18th), the day that the registration would be going live, refreshing the page, until the application link popped up and I began to fill it out immediately. I had a couple questions on documentation so I shot an email over to one of the coaching coordinators who was handling the registration and they informed me that as a potential attendee who would be applying for the course through successful waiver, I would have to wait until Friday (August 22nd) to apply, and that priority is given to those who already hold a U.S. Soccer License, and that they are the only ones permitted to register for the course from a window of today until Friday.

Immediately I was worried because I had heard that there are a very limited number of total spots (around 40) and that surely, with the pace that the C License courses seemed to have been selling out over the last year or so, there would be a ton of people wanting to take the B course. Fast forward 8 hours later, and both courses are now listed as sold out, and the link to the application/registration has disappeared.

Now, I'm beginning to get the feeling that the waiver approval letter is essentially useless, and that I was waiting for no reason at all. I find it hard to believe, with something like 4-5 B license courses per year in all different parts of the country, that I will ever have the opportunity to take one. The waiver approval expires after 2 years, and after that is no longer valid, as well. Even if I was willing to drop down a level and start with the National C license, those too get priority for coaches who have held the D license for 12 months, and certainly would be sold out before I was able to apply/register. I don't think I would be willing to drop down to attain my D license, because I honestly feel that my experience and knowledge are at a level where I am qualified to start at the level I have been granted by the USSF themselves.

My question is, what is the point of the waiver process if it is impossible to register for any of the courses? Is it just a jerk-off process that means nothing? I understand wanting to get the maximum amount of money from each potential coach by having them take all the coaching levels, but it seems like this would lose them some talented people who wanted to work here and help grow the game. Is anyone else in this position? What is the solution? Is there any way to get in the priority group without climbing all the way up the ladder from the bottom licenses? It is pretty frustrating because I feel like it is a poor way for the USSF to conduct this whole process and surely there has to be another way that won't drive away coaches who get a bad taste from this whole dilemma (like placing aside an extra ~3-5 spots for those who are applying through approved waiver).

TL;DR version:
    - I received a waiver approval to take the USSF B course
    - The USSF gives priority registration (by a 4-day window) to those who already hold a USSF license
    - These courses sell out within hours, so there's no way I will be able to register for them
    - What is the solution? Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

2. aelbadri

aelbadri New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hello,

I am experiencing the same situation. UEFA license holder, former pro player (D1 and D2) and about 10 years of coaching experience. I applied for a waiver.

Could you please let me know if you passed directly your USSF B license or you restarted from the beginning.

Thanks, AEB

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It is like everything in life it's who you know that counts.

If you want to get into the iron workers union after you get all the paper work and licenses you need to shape up. So you call them every day at 6 am and ask them if their is any work. They say yes you can work on a job for a whole year without have to shape up again until next year. They always say no unless you know someone with pull which means influence.

My advice to you is call the USSF in Chicago and ask who is the head of Amature football where you want to take the course. Then tell him your problem and tell him if he can help you. You would become his new best friend.

Years ago I needed something from the head of Amature soccer here in NY eastern district. So I made it my business to become his new best friend in life. I found it where he hangs out and just happen to run into him. My old club has gotten maybe a half a million in grants that we did not have to pay back from my association with him. Unfortunely he is no long around anymore.

Don't give up where there is a will their is always a way.

4. aelbadri

aelbadri New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Thanks for your reply. Anyone else experienced the same situation with the waivers ?