USSF Asks Fans To Wear Red Versus Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by ryebreadraz, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To much individuality in the country. You have to love that. The supporters section looked great. The rest of the stadium was sporadic. The green was pretty evident. The red out will come with time. Fantastic time, fantastic result. Shout out to New York, North Carolina, San Antonio, and my AZ brothers in Phoenix, not to mention the Columbus folks. You guys were all fricken awesome. Cheers!

2. wgoood2

wgoood2 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually i had a red hoodie on, so i did do my part.

3. US Allen 23

US Allen 23 Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it has been said, but would be nice if Nike and USSF, would make some red gear for us. I mean, at the game I wore my '98 red jersey under my dark blue US Soccer stadium jacket. If they made a red jacket, I would have bought it and wore it proudly.

Most fans, want to wear the jersey of their favorit player or have it personalized, so until they make a red kit, you are not going to get fans to wear the red.

-G-

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's our greatest blessing and our biggest curse. I thought the guys wearing costumes are funny (even if they aren't red - after all, what isn't amusing about watching Captain America play the sousaphone?), but I really wish people wouldn't fight the "wear red" movement. The awesomeness of the north end would - at least in part - stretch to include the rest of the stadium.

If you are coming to a USA match, and don't have a costume planned, just throw on whatever red gear you've got. And if you don't have any, you need to get some.

Personally, the only thing I was wearing that wasn't red (including my pants and shoes!) was my baseball cap (I needed one to keep the rain off my glasses, and I couldn't find a red one when I was headed out the door) and my keffiyeh (also a last-second addition, as I realized I'd need something to protect from possible smoke).

5. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually wear one of my jerseys to the game. I happen to have a longsleeve red jersey from '96 (but put McBride 20 on the back) so I wore that to the game. However, I am a fan of red, white or blue as all the colors of the flag have separate and symbolic importance, and so I will wear each color equally and proudly. If there is an attempt to have a "red out", or even if they ask us to wear blue or white, I will not buck that trend and will follow the request. But, they do need to get us a red jersey immediately, which will make it easier.

Also, a lot of the US Soccer stuff on the website is navy and there are very few red shirts/jackets. That will also need to change.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need more red gear. I also have a '98 red kit, but I went with something warmer this time around. :)

7. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps if we ever get "red" down, then we could plan red on the ends, white on one side and blue on the other. That would be intense. Similar to this.[​IMG]

8. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, that would be great. One thing that USSF could push ticketmaster to do is color-code the tickets when they are issued, so people know, based on their ticket, what color they should wear to the game.

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is that?

10. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ketchup bottle costumes for everyone!

11. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy.

12. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I had an ensemble to keep me warm/dry with a red LL Bean turtleneck, my WC 94 USA windbreaker for water repellance, and the red '98 jersey on top of that.

(and, of course, the ever present jester cap)

Alas, I didn't count on getting caught out in the parking lot during the squall/hail...

13. Wondering ...

... you're a MN guy ... if you had known all the weather that was going to happen - the squall, hail, wind, etc. - what could you have worn to have stayed (relatively) warm and dry?

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elk.

Seriously, there's no real way to stay dry in that other than some serious rain gear. Like the kind of stuff fishermen on the Baltic Sea wear.

15. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had of known all that was going to happen at 5:30, I wouldn't have left the Holiday Inn Express until 5:45...would've been fine then, even after Squall #2 right before kickoff... :)

Boots, maybe, to keep the feet dry. Had two pairs of socks on already.

Definitely a different pair of pants other than the jeans - wet denim is horrible and takes forever to dry.

My windbreaker hoodie did it's job, and my head (as opposed to my face) stayed dry and warm...which, in retrospect, probably saved me from hypothermia...well, that and the jumping up and down with you guys. (Was I right next to you?)

Short of looking like the little kid in Christmas Story...

("I can't put my arms down!")

...I think I'll fall back on Mr. Miyagi...

"Best defense...no be there..."

EDIT: Or Foos' suggestion of the Mark Wahlberg collection from The Perfect Storm...