USOC: Wizards vs. Menace All things Pre-game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by IowaBoy, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Wizards USOC Opponent Set (R)

Yikes! Thanks for that.

2. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    If I see you with the Cauldron....

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Not to be rude, or talk down, but I think you're giving the Menace too much credit and the not enough to the Wizards.
    I'm not saying that your team doesn't possess skill (I can't even make a claim either way since I've not seen them), but we're one of the more organized MLS sides. We take this competition seriously (NOW, we didn't used to) and will fight pretty hard to try to repeat.
    I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, because that's what I do when the Wizards let me down, but I think you'll find that after this game is over you'll be able to tell who the MLS side is and who belongs in the PDL. But then again, thats the beauty of this competition. In one game the minnow can slay the giant.
    Hope to see a lot of Menace fans travel down. You guys are more than welcome to join us for pregame festivities, but then you have to stand somewhere else when the game gets started. :)

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You may want to make sure it's not directly behind us, like the Burn fans last year. :D

5. jmatye

jmatye Member

May 14, 2000
    Kansas City, Missour
  6. rainbowwigwizard

rainbowwigwizard New Member

Nov 1, 2004

[/Quote MENACE FANATIC]Anyone know our keeper? He played HS on the BV fields and is really looking forward to coming back there.[/QUOTE]

The keeper, Andy Gruenebaum, played for Blue Valley North with my son, and during his junior and senior years Andy led BVN to consecutive state titles, so I am looking forward to seeing him play again against the Wizards at his old homefield.

7. Soccerbank

Soccerbank New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    i regret to inform you and yours that the wizzard's front office already knows what you know

and they have changed the venue. :mad:

8. Soccerbank

Soccerbank New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    the wizzards organization must have absolutely no regard for the Menace. This lack of respect is not going to go unanswered.

9. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should they?

Next...

10. PERFDBDAN

PERFDBDAN New Member

May 6, 2004
    Why does Big Soccer attract those with developing paranoia and a persecution complex?

Neither Blue Valley DAC is available that weekend. The fields at Blue Valley Northwest, including the DAC, are being resodded/sprigged. They were going to be used for the Kansas boys ODP camp three days later, but the camp had to be moved to Stump park because of the work on the fields.

Other available venues either do not lease their fields or do not meet other minimum requirements for Open Cup games such as required dressing rooms, grass not artificial surfaces, or lighting or have conflicts.

I really doubt the Wizards Front Office really cares that Andy played High School at the Blue Valley DAC. The Park field is almost in Farabi's backyard. They were probably just searching for a field that would not cost too much and was available.

Park will have parking issues, but the field is not bad. In fact, it is better than Hoover (where the Menace once played).

11. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally, I'd be talking major trash at this point. Ya know, trying to get all of our fans into it...

Instead, i'm going to be serious. I've seen pics of the "stadium" the game's now scheduled to play in and have talked with people who've played there. Honsetly, from what I've been able gather YOU should be insulted that they're using that "pitch." I mean, are there any youth fields available?

Even though I'm a Fire fan, I gave KC support when they were in the west and have enjoyed our exhibitions with them. I think the team's fantastic and you've got some great talent. A lot of the guys (even the stars) are less arrogant than many MLSers and the attitude is generally sportsman-like.

I think that even though we're a PDL club and you're MLS, it'll be a great match. Our guys have more heart and determination than any club in the US this year. They've taken down 3 higher level pro teams. The scoreboard doesn't tell the whole story against Pitt and Charleston. They dominated those matches. They killed Atlanta. Needless to say, our boys our giant killers.

I think that the crowd should be fairly large considering our proximity and the fact that a lot of guys have KC ties. Of all the games I've seen, this will probably be one of the best in terms of fans in the entire USOC. We all deserve the best venue possible.

We should all be appalled at the field - Menace and KC fans. Everyone should be raising a stink. I've heard the rumors that you're losing the Wizards and this move makes it seem true. From my understanding, the teams have to bid for the host location. If KC can't deliver the field they bid, then they should default and WE should host it.

It's not even that I'm opposed to the game being in KC - I plan on making the trip. I just think that the new location is an insult to our fans, your fans, the Menace, and the Wizards. It also lakcs concessions and it looks to ahve less seating. You guys should be making a stink.

12. Chava

Chava New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    We need to keep in mind that it's the game that is important; not how many fans are in the stands. Both teams have to play on the same field; however, I must say I am glad to know the real reason why it was moved. I knew it was not an arbitrary reason.

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sigh. dumbness, and you barely deserve the silent 'b' in that word.

i rather like that smell. it has that special aroma that only permeates the nerves when the hope of success becomes doused with the rain of inevitable failure. sure, i'd prefer to play somewhere else, but thrashing the menace at park university is as good as thrashing the menace at blue valley athletic complex.
    come to think of it, park university is perfect. being an institution of learing, it will serve nicely for a professional team to teach a bunch of amateurs how to play the game.

14. Chava

Chava New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    I'm sure the Menace will be a worthy opponent.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've used toilet paper that's deserved more worthiness.

16. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Menace fans should realize that this isn't personal at all. The Wizards would have done this as cheap as possible even if the opponent were Barcelona. I'm shocked the organization opened Arrowhead to host Saprissa in the Concacaf Champions Cup (of course, they only accepted cash at the ticket window).

But if thinking this is a slap in the face makes you feel good, I'm not going to stop you.

17. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    :rolleyes:

18. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    It's been a little bit since I've been to this field, but I'm pretty sure they have concessions.

[​IMG]

19. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    If this is the field the Menace play on each week, Julian Field will seem like a pool table.

[​IMG]

20. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The keeper, Andy Gruenebaum, played for Blue Valley North with my son, and during his junior and senior years Andy led BVN to consecutive state titles, so I am looking forward to seeing him play again against the Wizards at his old homefield.[/QUOTE]

I think. Aw yes, here it is. Lets not forget University of Kentucky's team. I remember back three or four seasons ago. A Finnish keeper lead Division 1 in goals against average. He later got draft into USL1 maybe 2. So UK's coach can spot some winners, last year was little off. Couple wins shy but it was a nice schedule. This does not mean. He cannot stay for another round. How is that gonna work? I mean first match is against Universtiy of Louisville. It seems like Kentucky owns them but after that. The Orgeon Tournement is probably a must. I am alittle surprise no doubt. Last time I play. Only one team. Anyways ride it while it is hot.

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so many periods, so little time

22. Soccerbank

Soccerbank New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I cannnot believe that this discussion of field attributes is now being taken to discuss individual players. The Wizard players started somewhere other than the MLS. They are very supportive of developmental soccer programs and understand that many of the Menace players can and will play at a higher levels once they finish their education and NCAA eligibility. Any professional team would have respect for the accomplishments of the Menace. Afterall, even the Cup websites are stating that the Menace have "upset" the projected outcomes. These young men have fire and drive and no other athlete, professional or not would take it awawy from them. They have all played through training, injury, rehab, and disappointment, only to come back and do it again. For the Love of the game. So quit attacking the players. I just hope no one is injured on this field.

23. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's a wonder Park University has enough players left to finish a season considering they play on that field. :rolleyes:

24. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I wish we could have gotten to host and played at Valley, it's a great facility. Shame that the Wizards bucked tradition of MLS teams traveling and demanded to stay home.

25. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    It's not a "great" facility. It's a nice high school complex with metal bleachers. Who cares already? You guys are unbelievably whiny about something you not only don't have any say in, but shouldn't as well. If we were going to Des Moines, where would we have played? I guarantee you wouldn't have a bunch of KC fans worrying about whether Preki was going to get hurt on your field, even though it looks like there would've been a better chance of that happening. Shut up about it already.