USOC: Wizards vs. Menace All things Pre-game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by IowaBoy, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wizards USOC Opponent Set (R)

Come August 3rd, the Wizards will be taking on the Des Moines Menace of the PDL, who beat the Atlanta Silverbacks of USL1 5-1 in Atlanta tonight. The Wizards also beat the Charleston Battery of USL1 3-2 in the last round at home. In the first round, the Wizards beat Pittsburgh from USL2 in the first round in PKs.

The Wizards are leading the Heartland Division of the PDL with 31 pts (10 wins, 2 losses, 1 tie). On the season they have 34 goals scored and 10 against.

I'm kinda torn, as the Menace are sort of my hometown team made up mainly of college kids, and they may be the only PDL team left in the USOC (there's one other PDL team in the 3rd round on a weather delay).

Should be a great game. Wish I could head down to KC to see it...

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Wizards USOC Opponent Set (R)

Should be an interesting match, I'll be there on the third watching it I know that.

3. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn, the Wizards are busy and all, what with playing in MLS and USL at the sametime and whatnot

:)

4. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Wiz v. Menace

Hey guys, remember me from the Cauldron? Well, time has passed and things are all good. Looks as if I get my wish to play the Wiz, wanted it to be at home but you can't have everything.

I think there is a good sized group coming down for the game, any chance of us all getting together for some pre-game festivities? I think some good pre-game banter is called for, but let's remember it's all in fun. If you feel as though your board isn't the right place for this, come on over to our board at https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171603 .

We have some players who make annonymous guest appearances and besides....I think Snake Eyes would appreciate your visits!

5. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fixed your post :)

6. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Wiz v. Menace

it's a wednesday game... but I know we all congregate in parking log B-5 before the games. I don't think there is any problem with fans of the other team coming over. I am sure you all would be welcome.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not for this game, the game is at BVAC, not at Arrowhead. It's a high school athletic complex. Usually I think we meet at one of the few bars around the area before the game since alcohol is not allowed on school grounds.

8. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Duh, that's right. BVAC. Not sure what I was thinking... alocohol not allowed but that doesn't mean it won't be consumed ;)

9. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Question for you guys..... how seriously are the Wizards going to take this match? The All Star game is on July 30th and the Wizards take on the Revs on the 6th. What is the consensus about playing reserves/first team/or a mixture of the two?

Last year, with Wolff and Bo your reserves beat our reserves 2-1. We are light years better than last season, as I presume you would argue you are as well. All trash talk aside, will this be a competitive game or are we Menace fans victory drunk and can't see reality right now?

10. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that the Wizards will take it pretty seriously. They are the defending USOC champs and I don't think that Gansler wants to bow out that early. We should not have anyone away on national team duty (Gold Cup will be over and the next WCQ is on August 17th) so they should have the entire roster available.

But with that Revs game three days later, look for a couple starters to sit. Depending how the game is going, you may see a few late subs that include normal starters (if we are losing fro instance), but I wouldn't count on it.

I think that Gansler will have the boys ready to play, but you may not see the usual starting 11. And no offense to the Menace, but I think that the Wizards feel that they can secure a win without using the usual starters.

I personally think that the game against the Revs is more important, but I don't want them to look past the Menace. Winning the USOC was pretty cool last year and I would like to see them battle for it again.

11. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do they still charge admission with this? How does that work? Do season ticket holders get any allowances for USOC?

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last year we took the cup pretty seriously, playing a mix of starters and top bench players as we made our run to the USOC title don't know what we'll do differently this season especially with a reserve team now, but since we are the cup champs I would assume we would not want to get knocked out this early in the cup.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They did a deal last season where you could trade in unused season tickets from earlier in the season for tickets to the game. I think tickets were something like $5 as well. I don't know what if any deals they'll do this season.

14. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wasn't the deal last year that you could get 2 USOC tickets for one season ticket?

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

This will be taken seriously, to the extent that it doesn't kill any of our players. We'll win this game though, Bob will make sure of that.

16. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

BTW....threads merged. All talk until game time is to go in here.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought so, but I didn't want to sound like a complete idiot if I was actually wrong.

18. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, will you guys chant for me again if we sit across the street?? We so enjoyed having a chant directed at us specifically :D

Actually, we will probably plan on standing with the Cauldron as usual....but you never know.

19. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

We heard that same thing a couple of times already this season (Pittsburgh, Charleston, and Atlanta). You guys are tougher than they were, but......so were we. Hope you have some serious footspeed on the backline. If not, it will be a long night!

Anyone know our keeper? He played HS on the BV fields and is really looking forward to coming back there.

20. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should start designating a place to pregame since we can't in the parking lot there. McBride's could serve us well again as we had about 10-15 of us there last time and if this gets organized in time they do have a large room that we can take over for a couple of hours prior. Just a couple of miles from the BVAC on 119th and it's done up with traditional (Johnson County Corporate) Irish Tavern decor and drinking selections.

Chant for Rovert (or anyone else who chooses to watch from the putt-putt lot:
    Hey, Tightass, it's only five ones,
    Hey, Tightass, it's also two for one,
    Hey, Tightass, it's money for the club,
    Hey, Tightass, this side is really more fun,
    Gimme a T,t I,i,G,g,H,h,T,t,A,a,S,s,S,s - What's that smell? Tightass

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well if you saw the game against DC on ESPN2 last week, you saw the speed that Shavar has. :rolleyes: but you also saw the speed that Nick has as one of the better closing backs in the league.

22. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is gonna be the game where Scott Sealy plays really well.

23. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I am really excited about this one............

Snakeyes is conspicuously awol from this thread though! I am feeling like the lone ranger here.

24. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Snakeyes is a big FIRE fan, so I know where his loyalties lie. I grew up in KC and have followed both teams from their beginnings. I'll just enjoy the game, and cheer for both!

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the thread is less then 24 hours old, and the game is still a few weeks away, relax take a deep breath and enjoy your win from last night. I believe you guys still got PDL playoffs starting before this, so take it easy. This will be an exciting match, if only because of the proximity of the two teams, but it is still a ways off. :)