USOC trying to keep baseball in Olympics

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Red Card, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-other082915654sep08.story

What does this have to do with soccer?

IMHO, with baseball/softball in the Olympics, those sports dominate team sport coverage on us tv. Soccer coverage is shunted aside.

The issue seems to be economic. The US already has baseball/softball stadiums built, while other nations have to build them and then tear them down afterwards. This gives US candidate cities a big advantage in staging the Olympics.

It looks like an interesting debate shaping up for their Nov meetings.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The idea that Baseball is more international than cricket or rugby is rather funny, but anyway...

It's not like dropping the sport from the Olympics will result in greater TV coverage for soccer. If anything, if recent trends continue, it will just make possible a couple more hours worth of stupid human interest stories.

3. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Funny how?

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i think what he is saying is that crickett and rugby are played by more countries internationally...just a guess.

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2000, every USA men's and women's soccer game was shown in its entirety, albeit tape delayed and with commercials spliced in. Baseball games were usually shown with several innings edited out.

6. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    US Olympic coverage sucks balls, dude. To the extent that I don't really give a rat's doo doo when the Olympics comes along.

7. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA

Possible, but not by a large margin. Aren't there only something like 12 countries that play cricket? You find that many nations playing baseball just by looking at the countries along the Caribbean.

8. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    If that is what he is saying, then he is wrong. So I'm still struggling to see the humor.

9. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    I guarantee you that more countries play baseball internationally than cricket.

10. fgn

fgn Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think you'll find more Cricket in the Caribbean than Baseball.

11. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    Yes, but all the islands are treated as one 'nation' in cricket.

12. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Jamaica, Trinidad, and a bunch of tiny islands play cricket. Against that, you have Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico playing baseball. The combined population of the baseball playing Carribean is a lot larger than the cricket playing Carribean.

13. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Hehe...

I'm keeping my mouth shut, but wait til Ben Reilly shows up!

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, must've struck a nerve on Fulham. Didn't know that Bud Selig lurked here.

Dude, when baseball can have an international competition that more than one country could win (assuming everyone is sending their best players), then I'll consider it more international than cricket. Also, baseball's pretty concentrated in two geographical areas, and cricket, thanks to the sun, at one time, never setting on the British Empire, is pretty much around the globe. There's no baseball in Africa to speak of, but there's cricket. No baseball in India and only a little in Australia, but there's plenty of cricket.

By the way, here's the what I found funny in the original article:

Here's the quote from the article I was mostly laughing at:

" 'the USOC will defend, with all possible means, the continuation in the Olympics of the No. 1 sport in the USA, baseball," USOC president Marty Mankamyer said in a recent statement.' "

My point is that if baseball, which is essentially the national game of one nation, is in the Olympics, then perhaps cricket and rugby union might deserve an appearance, too. Assuming of course their governing bodies want to have to deal with the IOC.

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love when people "guarantee" something on BigSoccer because it gives me a chance to learn if they are right or not. :D

In this case, Fulham is correct - IBAF has 110 members, ICC has 83.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I shouldn't get involved, but I bet the total population of cricket-playing countries (India, Pakistan, etc.) dwarfs that of baseball-playing countries.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Depends on how you figure the population. India is also a member of the IBAF, so baseball might get an edge there. If you figure it by # of players, well... someone who's having a slower day at work than I am will have to do the math for that one. But here's a list of member nations to the IBAF.

http://www.baseball.ch/F2/F.html

Brazil is a member, but from what I read, Brazil's baseball-playing population is limited to a few thousand japanese immigrants, for instance.

18. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    See, I looked at that list and it is simply not realistic. I don't want to get into the merits of each sport, as these discussions can get really rancorous. I've had a couple of them myself with Ben Reilly.

Suffice it to say that Austria, for example, is not a baseball-playing nation. Ditto Germany (I've lived in both countries). And realistically, nearly a billion people in India prefer cricket to baseball (assuming that less than 100 percent of the population are cricket fans). Baseball is only big-time in a handful of the countries on that list. To be fair, cricket is only big-time in a handful of countries, too. But if you add up the populations, you'd see a huge disparity (due to India alone).

Baseball's a cool game, though. Although soccer is now by far my favorite sport, I still probably understand the nuances and subtleties of baseball better, since I used to play it. Bottom line is I don't see why baseball shouldn't be an Olympic sport. There are plenty of other fruity sports in the Olympics, so why not baseball?

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree with everything you said (debates over the relative merits of sports can be rancorous, baseball's a cool game, it's probably not that big in Austria, there's no reason for it NOT to be an Olympic sport so long as there are medals given for rythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming, etc.). I was primarily laughing at the USOC yutz who seems to think that because it's the "number one sport" in the US it's entitled to Olympic status.

So, in short... I have nothing against baseball (if I did, I would've left yesterday's Pirates/Marlins debacle early, and I didn't!). I do have something against that one guy's statement from the USOC.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Maybe the blatant and rampant steroid abuse in baseball has the IOC a little scared.

In no way does baseball approach the popularity of cricket around the world.

I don't think baseball, or softball, or soccer, or any popular sport that already has it's own world championship should be in the olympics. The olypics should be reserved for niche sports like curling and shooting things while you're skiing.

21. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    It was a reasonable gamble. I'm glad someone took the time to look it up.

22. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Well, baseball is played in some fairly populous countries, like the US, Japan and Mexico. No, they don't add up to India, but they're not exactly "dwarfed" either. I don't think cricket is more "international" just because it is played in India. India cannot be the sole arbiter of how "international" a sport is.

23. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    How does it not? Please explain your answer fully.

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Could you explain why it bothers you that some people think that cricket is "more international" than baseball?

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

I also learned the IBAF Web site kicks the ass of the ICC Web site.