USOC Semi-Final Post Game Thread {R}

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by wcharriscpa, Sep 5, 2007.

1. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the win... obviously not the result we wanted, but at least it was a competitive game that either team could have won.

Met up with your travelling crew beforehand for some pints... class lot. Hopefully we'll get the MLS expansion sorted and be playing you guys in the league too.

The pbp guy is a hockey announcer by trade... he wouldn't be doing any MLS games because of the season overlap and because the club would bring in someone associated with FSN or some other bigger network.

If you think he's bad, if any of you have usllive subscriptions, you'll just looooooove the Miami "commentator". Every time there's a call against Miami, he accuses the referees of having a personality disorder. I kid you not. He's so bad it's unintentionally funny as sh!t. Best running comedy series being broadcast.

Anyway, again, congrats on the win and good luck in the final. Hopefully we will have taken the champions to extra time tonight.

2. FCD-FAN

FCD-FAN Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Saginaw, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was a good game.... I tell you, of the USL teams I've seen, this team needs to be in MLS as an expansion team. They're pretty good. They beat Colorado, so they get my vote!!!

3. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    I don't think this point has been stressed enough. I thought the defense looked strong last night, especially since it wasn't the usual backline and the there were two substitutions.

4. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Serioux looked like the Serioux we were expecting before we found out about the knee injury. I hope he can continue to play that way the rest of the season and avoid reinjury.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serioux, Sala, Toja and Ricchetti are all about back to form. Denilson sterted to get integrated in the second half. We just need to get on a roll.

6. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Hey, Ruiz is a pretty damm clutch player.

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yes....maybe the small string of mediocre performances of late was this year's version of the summer swoon and we are ready to get back on a roll. I dunno. I'd like to see some consistency in this bunch first. I'm happy to see Serioux look solid for an entire half. He could be a difference maker come the post-season. And I have to admit to being excited by Denilson's ability to play the ball into the box with short passes. Ruiz should feast on that as they begin to learn each other's style. Things are looking better.....but they need to start looking great.

8. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I have not seen the game (I did watch the highlights online), but here is an admittedly biased summary from a Sounders fan from the NAS email list.. Wow, is he ever brutal about certain FCD issues. I am posting it because I think he makes a very spot-on observation about FCD's offense. The other stuff I will allow others to comment on...

9. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I think the Sounders should just be handed an MLS spot.

I am beginning to think that Ruiz is having a great year, it's just that our midfield has still not gotten it all together. I think when Denilson starts clicking so will Ruiz.

10. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta watch out for New England. they like overtime almost as much as we do, and they score late-ass goals with uncannily similar frequency.

11. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Wow, those are pretty interesting observations. I don't know enough about the game but his comments about "organization" sure feel intuitively correct.

I don't think Sala is god's gift to goalies but I honestly don't know how this guy comes up with the "cowardly" issue.

12. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    It doesn't say a lot for Sounders if they couldn't score on amateur league goalkeeper. :p

It's great to hear about Denilson and the fan outreach. It's important that players buy into what the league needs to do to grow. I do think he's wrong about the other players no caring about the fans. I don't know what happened in Seattle, but no FCD player has ever turned down my kids' request for an autograph or a picture. I don't think there's a more accessible group of professional athletes than MLS players.

13. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Revs also play the physical/defensive style which seems to gives us problems, especially if they score first (like they did last time they were in town; Twellman in yellow shoes).

14. nigelg

nigelg 30 something has been

May 17, 2006
    Round Rock, TX
    ok...so i'll respond i guess to some of what this guy said...

you can pretty much tell this is going to be a biased take right from the start...

i can pretty much agree with all of that...

i wonder how many games he's seen? perhaps take into account that the game was played on a plastic field where players could have worn hi-tops and not slid? i dunno...

has this guy ever seen the LA defense? seriously...

and yeah, i'm not a fan of Sala...he's soft and inconsistent imho...i'd rather have RBJ minding the net...

i don't think your Sounders would do as well playing against the Swedish National Hockey team on ice...see...that icing topped field you guys call a "pitch" is terrible.

i played against Westlake HS (Austin, TX) while I played at Hays HS (Buda, TX)...we sucked...and they would beat us soundly 6-0 (my JR year) and 5-1 (my SR year) AT Westlake (their home field is astro turf...no height to it...it's like playing on a million flattened tennis balls)...at OUR field they beat us 2-1 each year...

the difference wasn't that we improved over each season or that they played terrible...it was that they were playing on THEIR field which, much like the game last night, was played on a thin sheet of discarded condoms topped with a thin sheet of velvet...

i saw several times where FCD players would 1st touch the ball and it'd bounce about 100 feet in the air from a 3 foot hop...

and one more thing about that douche calling the game...

"worm burner" ????

i may have heard that before during a game...but coming from him it sounds obnoxious...

i guess you couldn't call those shots "grass cutters" since there technically was no grass on the pitch.

15. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    How can any Dallas fan agree with any of the ravings of this Sounders yahoo who is just bitter that his team lost and writes a rant a few minutes after they ate it at home? It is a bit like agreeing with Rikker on points about Dallas.;)

16. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    can anyone tell me how Dennilson played against Seattle.I noticed he got 94 minutes if im not mistaken.........

17. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your bigsoccer name should be saltlick.

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    A little off at first, he really settled in by the 2nd half. We made several very nice plays, both on the dribble and by setting up teammates. He had a few "cheeky" lofted passes, the kind you see Ronaldinho do, to send players in on goal. The Sounders keeper was quite good, and very aggressive about coming off his line to challenge these plays....otherwise FCD could have put 3 or 4 away in the 2nd half. He's gonna be a good one. And he hustled all the way through the game. I don't see any evidence of him being a "me first" kind of guy.

19. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007

This is all just irrelevent drival from a ignorant Sounders fan. He is way off base on almost every point.

Sala played cowardly? Maybe he was watching a replay of another game (DC, LA GALS), but last night Sala was a MAN. He went after every ball and got every ball that came into the box, but for the last one on a stoppage time letup. He completely shut down the Sounders and their supposed high powered offense. He made one of their players look foolish on a 1 on 1. His distribution was his only weak spot last night.
    Interesting that he calls Seattle "unfortunate" for not scoring a few goals last night, but the fact is that EVERY SHOT ON GOAL they had was stopped, by that "cowardly" FCD GK.

20. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I'd say the MouthBreathing Sounders fan does have a point regarding our defense, it is horribly disorganized. Other than that......he's completely clueless. I'm willing to bet he just randomly happened upon a salient point by mistake.

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, no sh!t, where does this guy get off? Sala COWARDLY? SALA?!??!? Obviously didn't see the KO of that Rapid douche last year. Sorry excuse for an athlete? What because he plays for a real PROFESSIONAL team that knows when to kill some time on the clock? Get a clue, fu[k head.

The announcers were so terrible, that I think I'd rather listen to Ty Keough and Ray Hudson. Yea I said it. The color guy knew his stuff for the most part, but everytime a Dallas player went down in OT, they thought it was a huge conspiracy. After Wags was clearly taken out by a Sounder and on the ground, the announcers "for the life of them" couldn't understand why he would want to "waste time" after his team was surely going to win 2-0. Yeah, maybe he might actually be hurt.....nah that couldn't be it :rolleyes:

22. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many worms in that grass either...

23. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Maybe the occassional jelly worm dropped by Conor and McKenna.

24. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    I agree it's normally disorganized, but considering last night we had two make two subs for injury in the backline and Wags was getting his first start in a while, they did well.

25. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Seattle guy just showed his lack of depth is all. "Dallas sucks" was a direct quote.

He got bent out of shape that it appeared there was some time wasting from our guys, but just like the announcers on the USL broadcast, completely ignored the fact that some of our guys got the crap kicked out of them last night, too. All of a sudden when Wags got cracked in an obvious foul, it was "obviously" time wasting. :rolleyes:

Peter, notice the lack of response from other people on NAS to him. I even got an offlist email to my response that said, "Yeah, that is just him. He things everything in the PNW is the end all be all."

Seattle is a good team. And there is a great article about the game here:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soccer/2003869053_kelley05.html

If you haven't seen the game, I'd highly recommend it (http://usl.playonsports.tv/free/event/1943/index.html?eventId=1943). It really was a fun, back and forth game - esp. in the second half. But overall, Dallas had the run of play (slightly) and deserved the win. After Saturday, it was great to see the guys focused and getting the job done. You could tell they were really wanting the win. Maintain that focus and great things will happen.