USOC : LA @ Fire (During/Post) (R)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fireman, Sep 23, 2003.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I love my mom.

At half-time of today's game she turned to me and said:

"L.A.'s uniforms look like a box of crayola crayons."

2. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    To be fair, the security guy who was the root of the problem last time with Mirek came to me first about the flare/smoke bomb, which is how it's supposed to work. I loved how the ushers in 122 just had no idea how to deal with us, not to mention that 122 is the section we're moving to in NSF, isn't it?

I've got some more comments regarding the two Galaxy goals, that will dovetail into the last column, but I'll save that for when I'm sober and more well-rested.

Later,
    COZ

3. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    Couldn't make it last night, but caught it on TV. With the small crowd on main seats, it didn't look great. BUT it sounded great. Section 8 did a terrific job making the place sound like it was full capacity. And the Section 8 migration was interesting. Was that so we could be closer to the celebrations after goal? I didn't see the flare incident on TV.

4. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, great game.

Section 8 has me in absolute stiches. I saw the whole flare incident and thought security was really cool about it. That new I song to "I love you baby" is an absolute keeper. Whoever thought of that one should pat themselves on the back, because it is unique and sounds wonderful. With Coz's drumming it just sounds really good.

I did my duty as a promoter of Fire games and brought another guy and his kids, he said he would come to some more games. Even though I sat next to Sec 8, it's just not quite the same. No more Mr. Nice Guy! Back to Section 8 for me.

My favorite quote: "Zigi have another twinkie" That from Colin (OK, he was coached) as Zigi entered for the second half.

Those 2 goals by LA were good goals but I can't believe we relaxed like that. To our credit, we came back and attacked and held the fort down after the second one.

Random Observations:
    BO is a hack.
    Our attackers were all over them.
    Beas was onside.
    LA deserves credit for trying to come back.
    Hartmann is pretty cool for handling Sec8 the way he does.
    Thornton looked really lonely in the second half. '
    Jay, your hair is so short it took me a long time to spot you.

Jessie Marsch's quote was the best. When asked in the post game interview who he'd rather play in the final, he said "I don't care who, I just want to play at home."

I love this team.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great Match

I saw about 20 minutes into the match until the final whistle (ok, miss LA's 2 quick goals, was bathing our daughter).

The Fire looked back to the old aggressive style of attack (me likey this, very much, so) and I could sense the intensity by both sides like this wasn't just another match. I'm glad teams take the US Open Cup seriously. If the MLS doesn't take it seriously, then the rest of world won't either.

DMB played alot better. Ralph and Razov were fantastic like usual. Loved Whitfield and Amani hookin up on the attack! The counter attack set of by DMB's long out to Razov was great, then Razov's near side goal was frickin CANDY!!!!

Another Double would make my first year following the Fire unforgettable!

Go Fire.

6. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    The flare was lit by someone I have never seen in section 8 before. He just ran up from out of nowhere, lit it and started waving it in the air leaving the fans underneath it with holes in their clothes. Than security came and he dropped it and ran off somewhere.

7. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess I'll go back on my Armas-worship a bit and agree with this, because everybody worked really hard. It was just that Armas lasted longer than eveybody else, IMHO, and when the team plays like that, give the captain some credit. ;)

I loved Whitfield's assisting run--the Galaxy had no idea where he went. We play with such great width on such a small field it's always impressive. And I think the decision to play DMB in a free role behind Damante Razalph was great--though Perez probably had the worst game of anyone out there, mostly because his control and shooting were poor, from what I saw. Still, it lets Beasley leave that left-side channel, so he can pop up in the middle and score or assist (his ball to Razov was great). I wish I could have taped the replay, but I didn't think far enough ahead!

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is this crazy talk of ARmas and Razov as the MOTM?!!! how much much to Ralph and Beasley have to dominate before they are given their respect. those 2 guys absolutely dominated the 2nd half, not razov or armas. gimme a break.

9. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Past a closing Hartman I might add. A beautiful, beautiful goal that ending up making the difference in a very, very good match. Tremendous energy all around. Congratulations to the Fire. Here's hoping to meet you in October.

perc

10. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed.

The first time Armas found himself with space in the middle of the box, he hesitated and was stripped. The second time he unload a cannon that just missed to the right.

Everyone played pretty well on attack and I thought Razov quietly had a great game. It was his pass the sprung Whitfield to cross on Ralph's goal. Let's face it, when Beasley, Razov & Ralph are on, fugehdaboudit.

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: Great Match

We can win the treble??? Didn"t know there was another trophy?

Jinky!

12. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    compliments to the wonderful city of warsaw, poland. the part that matters anyway-legia fans. it's a great chant because everyone and their mother (and grandmother) knows the tune.

13. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F.Y.I. Kent McDill - I don't think I'd call Razov's goal standard. Beating Kevin Hartman to the near post with the right foot. Far from standard and the best Fire goal of the match.

14. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Just to be absolutely sure we'd host on the 15th...pull for DC next Wednesday.

15. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike: The Pontiac, that's so good, it's a keeper. I love that, man.

Armas was really bad all night long. He was playing out of position, and IMHO was a substantial part of the defensive breakdowns that lead to two goals in two minutes for Crayola FC.

He's a defensive midfielder, I'd like to see him playing defense, not hanging around in the opponent's box.

Same goes for Boca, I want him to defend.

Perez was looking tired all night long...the guy's being outrun by balls...not a good sign.

The offsides call on the second DaMarcus goal was a load of *#*#*#*#. The ball was played by Hartman, badly, there wasn't an offside decision to be made.

16. Mr. Trike

Mr. Trike New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Section 8
    While the number was small it was one of the best as far as carrying a tune. Even "Don't stop living in the red" sounded good.

The halftime move was classic, including taking the Section 8 sign from the top row.

I am not the biggest Evan Whitfield fan. Often referring to him as Nit-Wit. Last night he literally ran Chris Albright out of the game. His workrate may be the best part of his game but it won the match-up last night.

We need to host the final so we can go to 4 games in 2 weeks.Oct 4,10,15,18.

17. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Not to mention the Columbus away match and potentially a first round playoff game there...

WE LOVE YOU FI-RE

lo lo lo lo-lo-lo

WE LOVE YOU FI-RE

lo lo lo lo-lo-lo

WE LOVE YOU FI-RE

lo lo lo lo-lo-lo lo looooooooooo...

18. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    I completely agree with your assessment of Ho. Matter of fact prior to his sending off, I was commenting to a friend about how Refs will not give that damn second yellow (started a thread on this a few minutes ago). I mean what gives? We risk serious injury for the season to a player and this guy gets sent off from a tournament that his team is done with for the year. USSF and MLS need to make such Red Cards harsh. A few games w/o pay as well as a suspension are the way to stop this from happening. If DMB is seriously injured, it affects us during our MLS season while this guy misses their next US Open Cup Match which is next year. Love that exchange. That offsides was disgusting and should get the whole crew relegated to table soccer matches as far as I'm concerned.

19. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Yeah, quite a few people in section 8 and even a few players that I know pretty well had to double take when they saw me. It was kinda funny.

Section 8 was mostly awesome last night. The end change was classic and memorable. Great new songs worked well. I was feeling it all night. One little gripe was that when LA struck back for a couple minutes we died a little bit. Very important to stay strong or even grow stronger during these moments. A lesson to be learned.

It's funny to read everybody arguing about MOTM. It can not be said enough that the reason we were so good last night, and my God we were good, was that everybody was playing fantastic. Perez was the low point for sure but even he really picked it up in the second half. The team was not predictable like they have been in the past month. They changed the point of attack often and well and basically everybody played brilliantly. It was a proud night to be a fire fan.

I LOVE YOU FIRE!!! LO LO LO LO LO
    I LOVE YOU FIRE! LO LO LO LO LO
    I LOVE YOU FIRE. LO LO LO LO LO LO
    LO LO LO LO LOOOOOOOOOO!!!

20. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    You mean by cutting that tail off of the back of his head so he doesn't get ridiculed again? That hair was terrible in 1983, and it's no better twenty years later.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't why he wasn't offside.

When Ralph took the shot, Beasley was onside - the fact that Hartman touched it doesn't matter, he was onside when his teammate last touched the ball.

Crap call by AR.

22. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does St. Silva blow or what?

23. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    one thing i neglected to mention regarding s8 was the fact that after the switch we were so much cloer to where the players exited and entered.

this made bo's sending off a little more sweet as he walked right in front of us, and likewise after the game. as st silva was leaving the field, i let him know what i thought of his performance. i know he heard me, because everyone in his little entourage looked up. except him...he was professional, if nothing else.

24. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Too bad he saves that behavior for after the game instead of during...