USOC History questions

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by LowEnd, Jul 14, 2005.

1. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I was checking out the USOC site, and it looks like before 1995, all of the teams were neighborhood teams, with no sign of NASL or A-League teams. Why didn't they participate?

And in modern times (yeah, since 1995), how far has any USL-2 or PDL team ever gone? I saw that the Rhinos have been to the finals twice, winning it once, which answers how far an A-League (USL-1) team has gone.

thanks.

2. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    For anyone who's interested, I found some answers (on www.kenn.com)

In 1996 a Select League team, the Carolina Dynamos, went to the QF (not as many teams participated that year)

In 1997 a Pro D-3 team, San Francisco Seals, went to the semi-finals (final 4)

In 2003 a PSL team, the Wilmington Hammerheads, went to the QF (final 8)

Just checked the USL site, and from what I can make out, the Select League was similar to what is now USL-1 (A-Leauge). And it looks like both D-3 and PSL was what we now call USL-2.

Still looking for info to why no NASL or USL before 1995.

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the USL (or USISL as it was known back then) existed before then.

As for the NASL, I don't know, but I do know that they never did participate.

4. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some USISL teams did before 1995, but only on an indvidual club basis. I remember seeing Dalllas Rockets, Atlanta Magic, and Greensboro Dynamo listed in results from the early 90's. Most team owners didn't want to hassle with going through regional qualifying against amateur clubs. US Soccer agreeing to let pro clubs wait until later rounds is what spurred their involvment.

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Select League was the top league of the USISL. It was only around for one year, then the USISL and A-League merged, with the top level league taking the 'A-League' name. That is now USL-1.

USL-2 has had a variety of names as well, 'D3 Pro League' is the main one I remember. So you pretty much have that right. Then there's the PDL, or Premier Development League.

Back before the USISL got that big (I'm using USISL bec. that's what the USL was originally), as someone else stated, occasionally some of the teams would play in the Open Cup.

The whole garbled names and history of the league is here.

I'm pretty sure the one that went the farthest was the Richardson Rockets, who lost in the final in '91. Got that info from USOpenCup.com.