USOC - Fire vs. Galaxy [R]

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Pyro, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIRE!!

3 - 2

All five goals 2nd half. Fire go up 3 - 0 with 20 minutes left, then the Galaxy put two in the back of the net within 5 minutes.

2 questionable (at best) goals called off.

Bo sent off (possibly straight red) in stoppage time after fouling Beasley. He was lost his cool earlier in the half after his lax defending led to Chicago's first goal. Galaxy just looked a step slow in the second
    half, but overall high level of play and far more wide open that usual knockout matches.

This second half is worth watching on replay.

Other notes:
    Goals: Beasley, Ralph, Razov, Moreno, Torres (I believe).
    7 minutes of stoppage at end of match.
    Galaxy cleared ball off line in 1st half from point blank Perez shot.

GO FIRE!!!!!!

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bo wasn't a straight red. He had been carded earlier in the half for a tackle against Beasley as Beasley flew by him on the left wing ......

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    yes, but no one saw a yellow and then a red... the only card shown was a red

as for the disallowed goals

beasley clearly looked on sides from the replay, but it was inconclusive (at best or worst) as to whether the call was right or wrong... the referee was on the other side looking in and might have saw something for real

and fsw being all things cheap had no good replay of the play

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Beasley was definitely onside (by several yards) and he the goal was called back for offside (you could hear the discussion). On LA's goal, I never figured out what they called. They might have obstructed Thornton but it looks more like the ref saw the LA player run by, saw Thornton fall down and connected the dots (incorrectly it appeared).

LA's second goal was by Torres, not Ruiz. Whitfield cleared the ball off of Torres boot and it looped into the net.

In the second half, DaMarcus Beasley demonstrated why everybody raves over his talent. LA had no answers for him besides fouling him.

Hong was trying to get tossed for the entire second half and finally succeeded late. I wonder what his issue was.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    sorry... the part about it being right or wrong was meant for the gals disallowed goal... i didn't make that too clear

6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredible game. Even the first half which ended 0-0 was of high quality for the most part.

Enjoyed every 2nd of it.

7. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I'd like to know the reason for the Gals disallowed goal. Anyone know for certain?

8. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Bo was totally classless in this match. He had four fouls that were cheap or hard shots that all should have been yellow cards and finally was given the second yellow on the blatant fourth hackdown.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i doubt we ever really get a clean answer on it

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impossible to tell. Announcers never figured it out either.

Beasley was definitely onsides on his disallowed goal. Game, I guess, should have been 4-3.

What the hell got up Bo's butt? He totally came unglued. Very unlike him.

11. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Karma? (Carlos Ruiz, we're all laughing at you, especially for celebrating Torres goal and confusing the poor FSW people. FSW ROCKS for showing this, btw. I gotta try to tape the replay...if this game isn't a great advertisement for the USOC and it's potential to alleviate pre-playoff doldrums, I don't know what would be...)

12. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree this game was terriffic. And I have yet to figure out how Razov pulled off his goal. He somehow did the jedi mind trick on Hartman fooling him into committing far post, and then burying it inside the near post.

Fire looked susceptible to long balls, Galaxy looked _really_ vulnerable against the Fire's pace (not just Beasley and Ralph, but Evan Whitfield even got in behind them a couple of times).

13. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    On some other thread somebody was saying he can 'dominate' matches. I said I'd never seen evidence of that.

Now I have.

14. Re: Re: USOC - Fire vs. Galaxy [R]

We've been waiting for him to dominate a match since he came back from duty for Uncle Sam. This was the best he's looked since, but Damani Ralph is The Man.

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: USOC - Fire vs. Galaxy [R]

Have to agree. Beasley's looked like crap for 6 weeks. Tonight he sparkled.

And how Razov went near post on Hartman with his right foot is a mystery. What was Marshall doing on that play anyway? Looked like he thought Ante was going to cut back to his left. And Hartman simply had a bad game. (Beasley's disallowed goal would have been totally his fault.)

Thank you FSW for showing this game. It's a shame the scheduling didn't work out for the other one to be shown as well.

16. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Silva didn't see it, but the linesman had his flag up right away. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Section 8 (north or south) is probably the worst place to judge offsides, so I have no idea if it was the correct call.

17. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

One possible explanation was that Beasley was offside at the time of the initial shot and when the rebound came to him he was called for it.

I don't know. Nobody was watching Beasley or the linesman because that initial shot was so powerful.

As were all three Fire goals.

18. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yellow card, Crossbar, a disallowed goal and a ball cleared off the line.....and that was the boring half!

Now only if the tourney was promoted more! Can't US soccer package the Open Cup final w/ their National Team ESPN package? That would help!

19. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Right, that was a ripping good game and should have been seen by more than the 5,000 in attendance. Hopefully this will change soon.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The replay showed that that clearly wasn't the case either. Cranial-rectal inversion on the part of the linesman is the only possible explanation.

Or they decided at halftime they needed a make-up call and that was it.

21. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good game to watch.

Beasley was ON.

I have no idea what Bo's agenda was. It sure looked like he was tring to get sent off - if he had done some real damage to that young national teamer - I would have gone DMZ on him.

22. Professor B

Professor B Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Grundy, VA
    I know Bo had an earlier yellow, but it looked to me like he was shown a straight red. Given how he had been acting, both towards DMB and the ref, a straight red is what I would have expected.

I only caught the second half. Great half!

Professor B

23. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    It was a straight red on Bo.

There was one sequence by Bease that really showed his reading the game, keep possesion and shifting the attack. Takes ball outside , dishes off a pass , goes in for possesson outlet, dishes back while moving in semicircle, picks up ball on takeover and ends up going outside down touch to pass to center. Or roughly equivalent to that.

There was also a dish he made to Ralph in the box that had goal written all over but Ralph didn't anticipate and defender got to ball first.

And the replay showed Bease was definitely on side at the time the shot was taken.

Only thing that concerns me about Chicago is their breakdown against weaker teams ala NE/Burn games, and letting Gals backinto this one. Not a good sign for MLS playoffs or Cup final.

Hope they meet Metros in finals. Think it would be a better game than against DC.