USOC Final :: Chicago @ Metrostars, 15 October 7p CT [Prematch]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Oct 13, 2003.

1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Of course, you already know all this because you're going to the game.

And if not, you should be. :)

2. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    I had a dream last night that I scored 3 goals for the Fire in this one and Osama Bin Laden was on the Metros....

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes:

They call it "Metro Playoff Fever".

We call it "Fall".

4. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    NICK SUCKS!

5. modernpiracy

modernpiracy New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    chicago
    dear lord! i don't know what to say, other than, i have playoff fever and the only cure is more cowbell.

6. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    If anyone wants to see a good larf take a peek over on the Metro boards. I didn't know that other teams got so excited when they earned the chance to lose to us in a Final.

7. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Anyone who plays the Chicago Fire should feel excited by the priviledge to be allowed on the same field, so therefore, a final would have a little more excitement for the opponent. Kind of like when MacArthur returned to the Phillipines.

8. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    I didn't realize that when the Japanese craped their pants in fear it was basically the same thing as "a little more excitement" but hey if Metro is into celebrating defacation then more power to them.

9. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If you crapped your pants I bet you'd have a little more pep in your step too.

10. FireAddict

FireAddict Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Grayslake, IL
    lineups?

"Ralph earned his second appearance for Jamaica’s senior side after entering the match in the 40th minute, while Williams pushed his career cap total for the “Reggae Boyz” to 76 by entering the contest in the 67th minute. All three internationals will rejoin the Fire in New Jersey and will be available for Head Coach Dave Sarachan in Wednesday’s Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final versus the MetroStars. " Chicago Fire press box

So assuming that Damani and Andy made it back ... anybody guessing as to whether either start? Mapp is still listed as questionable with a quad strain. Nate had a great game Friday night, but I'm guessing Damani gets the start.

Ante - Damani
    Perez - Armas - Beas - Marsch - Whitfield
    Boca - Jimbo - Kelly
    Zach

subs: Ralph for Nate
    Bolanos for ......
    Pause for .......

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have any idea if Ralph and Williams (only because he has his best games against the Mutts) will be back for the game? I mean, I assume they're back already, but who's to say.

12. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: lineups?

I think it'll be more like this:

Ante - Jaqua
    mapp - Armas - Beas - Marsch - Whitfield
    Boca - Jimbo - Kelly
    Zach

subs: Ralph for Nate
    Bolanos for coffe
    Williams for Marsch
    Futagaki for Mapp (then Ryan scores winner in OT - okay, it was a nice fantasy, actually Perez on for mapp as we win 3-1)

m

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sidenote: What's up with Bolanos?

14. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    He under estimated the speed and play of MLS...just like many foreign players before him.

**Edit - yes, under estimated.

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, are we talking playoffs (obviously a risky move because he is untested), or next year?

...and I am guessing you meant 'under estimated.'

16. Paul D

Paul D New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    lower wacker drive
    Just saw this quote in an article about the cup final and it was too good to pass on.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-usopencup&prov=ap&type=lgns

In August, the Wilmington Hammerheads of the Pro Select League, equal to the third division, routed the Dallas Burn of MLS 4-1 in the fourth round.

``We weren't expecting to beat Dallas, but we ended up pounding them,'' Wilmington general manager Derek Yerdon said. ``We know every time the fans come in the stadium we have a chance to win.''

17. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    Bo-lañ-os, whoa ee oh
    Bo-lañ-os, whoa ee oh
    He's never in the game
    yet still we sing his name

18. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MAP ROOM

Where:
    Map(p) Room
    1949 N Hoyne (& Armitage)

What:
    Squeeze out los pinches fanaticos des cubs night. er I mean USOC FINAL WATCH PARTY.

Who:
    All Fire Fans 21 & OVER.

When:

7pm kickoff. Be there early so we can be the majority to get the big screen.

Cheers!

Your friendly BB1871 Party Babe
    Kirsten

19. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    CJ report

Well, it looked like CJ might be available for tomorrow - he wasn't listed on the injury report on Monday's press release, and then whammo, he's on Tuesday's with a severe left foot contusion and listed as "out."

Bummer for him.

(and those crummy Cubs are back to their old ways, giving games away, and clogging things up for tomorrow night at 7 pm)

20. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: CJ report

Definitely, especially if they are going to blame a kid for a stupid mistake of wanting a game ball. Ya gotta have focus man. If you can't get over that crap - it's only one lousy out - then you deserve to be still cursed by some long dead man/goat.

FILL THE BAR(S) WITH RED TOMORROW!

GO FIRE!

21. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Re: Re: CJ report

Think about it for a second. The Cubs getting into and/or winning the World series may be bad news for Fire fans on several levels. News coverage would be nonexistent, attendance would plummet, and the Fire wouldn't be able to go for the treble because a meteor will have taken out the Earth before MLS Cup.

I say this not as a frustrated Sox fan, but as a concerned Fire fan seeking to preserve our team's place in Chicago history.

As you watch the US Open Cup match, find it in your hearts and minds to also support the Florida Marlins as well.

22. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I sat and watched what I am sure is to be history last night it occured to me that I will be watching the Fire tomorrow. Screw the Cubs. I hope and pray they win, but I will not be watching Fox. I will, however, be watching Fox Sports World.

23. The only rational explanation for the Cubs' success is that one of us forgot to make a sacrficial offering of pork chops and heffeweissen to the Chicago Sports gods. In anger, they have bestowed a successful playoff run on the Cubs to interfere with our annual playoff festivities.

24. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    cubs curse of the "kid"

...hate to be the lone voice of dissent here... well, actually, I relish it, but anyway:

A. that was no kid - dude looked to be about 40, but that could be Cubs years, so he might be only 22, but this was no twelve year old at his first ball game.

B. as a Cub fan, one should be prepared to get the hell out of the way on that play. This is the Cubs, people, all it takes is one hint of bad luck to bring visions of billy goats and Durham's legs dancing to mind - everything in the inning cascaded from that play - the walk, the error, the bullpen. Any Cub fan worth his salt SHOULD blame the "kid" for all evil that follows. Hell, northsiders still mumble about Brant Brown's drop, and that didn't cost the cubs anything but a day in the pitchers rotation.

C. While media coverage will certainly take a hit if the Cubs advance, I'm not sure I see a huge overlap in Cubs/Fire attendance, so I'm skeptical that it would have any huge attendance impact on the Fire's remaining 3 home games.

D. It's all that "kid's" fault, and when Kerry Wood loses 1-0 on an unearned run tonight, it'll still be that "kid's" fault. :)

m

25. greystreet15

greystreet15 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL, USA
    I'd love to see Andy Williams in the starting eleven tonight. He played great earlier in the year vs. the scum @ Giants.