USMNT Transfer Watch - Movers and Shakers

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 11, 2021.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did put an offer in for him..... he didn't jump in a heartbeat.......

Young American Anthony Fontana is at PEC Zwolle.... making the matchday squad, but rarely ever getting any game minutes. He also couldn't get consistent playing time when he was with Philadelphia in MLS.....

2. Saw him on the bench:
    upload_2024-5-6_15-16-45.png
    When the chance presents itself by being subbed in, take it to show you belong.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Was it an offer or just "interest?" I never saw an actual offer, but you know better than me.

And of course, Jack McGlynn signed a new contract with option years thru 2027.

Based on how he's playing, he's not going to be cheap.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Paris Olympics is going to be a big showcase for YA.

Tolkin, McGlynn, Morris, McGuire, Luna, Guttiérez etc

TrueCrew, OWN(yewu)ED and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would say at least two of the guys on your list aren't going to be there......................

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marlon Fossey is going to have to leave Standard Liege due to owner / management problems within the club, ie they’re not paying players accordingly.

Hope he finds a club to land on his feet.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow I never thought standard round be in that situation. He had a great year I’m actually looking forward to see where he ends up .

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSV are in for McGlynn per rumors

adam tash repped this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big 5 locks if healthy (11)
    GK: Turner (Nottinham Forest, EPL)
    LB: Robinson (Fulham, EPL)
    CB: Richards (Crystal Palace, EPL)
    CB: Ream (Fulham, EPL)
    DM: Adams (Bournmouth, EPL)
    CM: McKenzie (Juventus, Serie A)
    CM/AM: Reyna (Notingham Forest, EPL)
    WF/AM: Pulisic (AC Milan, Serie A)
    WF/WB: Weah (Juventus, Serie A)
    CF: Balogun (Monaco, League 1)
    ----------
    CM: Musah (AC Milan, Serie A)

Non-Big 5 Locks (3)

GK: Horvath (Cardiff, Championship)
    RB: Dest (PSV, Eredivisie)
    CB: Robinson (FC Cincinnati, MLS)

That is 14 guys. 9 spots left.

#3 GK.
    #2 RB.
    #2 LB.
    #4 CB.
    2-3 CM
    2-3 WM/AM
    1-2 CF.

#3 GK is probably an MLS guy (Steffen, Callander, Schulte) or Slonina (Belgium).

#2 RB is probably Scally (Bundesliga). With Dest hurt, we'll have to go to #3 as well, which is probably a non- big 5 guy (Jones, Cannon, Moore, Yedlin, etc). But this is replacing Dest, who is not big 5, so the number stays the same.

#2 LB is Lund (Serie B) for me.

#4 CB. Zimmerman, CCV, and McKenzie are all solid non big-5 options.

DM/CM. LDLT and Cardoso (La Liga) are my first choices here. I might be too heavy on DM/CM types. If I trust Musah to play DM, Cardoso probably stays home in favor of more attacking options.

CM/AM. I lean heavily for someone who can backup Reyna. There is no one on the roster who can do it, but at least Tillman (PSV) and Brendon Aaronson (Bundesliga) can play centrally and wide. I'd bring one for sure.

Wright, Sargent, & Pepi are my leading candidates for AM/WF/CF roles. I only have room for 2 unless I keep LDLT or Cardoso home. All are non-big 5.

Guys like Zendejas & Vazquez are in contention here as well.

So, in addition to my 3 locks, I certainly bring a non- big 5 3rd GK (Schulte), #2 LB (Lund), #4 CB (CCV), and at least two CF/WF types (pick 2 from Pepi, Wright, Sargent). That is 5 more. So, 8 at a min.

Tillman over Aaronson and the 3rd attacker over Cordoso/LDLT is also a possibility.

Somewhere between 8-10.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd send Pepi to the Olympics and have Balogun, Sargent, Wright as candidates for starter, with Vazquez used as an impact sub.

Mix and match in the friendlies.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so on the fence if sending Vasquez or a third center back…..I was initially in team send Vazquez…… but I’ve warmed up to Zimmerman trusty McKenzie out of position scarcity reasons

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    How do you know that? They never play with bottom teams from Belgian or Danish leagues. Apparently top 5 Dutch teams are way better than top 5 Belgian or Danish ones, and that's not even close. So bottom teams in Eredivisie are getting destroyed while equally poor Danish and Belgian teams look better as they are playing much weaker competition.

13. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what’s not clear…it’s based on the disparity between the top and the bottom in Holland vs. the disparity between the top and bottom in Belgium. We already can compare the teams in Europe that do play each other. Then you just have to employ the transitive property for the rest of those leagues.

I for one was not surprised that MLS “won” the Leagues Cup because while the top Mexican teams remain a bit ahead of the top MLS teams, I knew that MLS’ parity would mean that the bottom MLS teams would beat up on the weak Mexican teams. I intuitively applied the same principle.

gogorath repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just look at the payrolls or the Transfermkt squad values. The EU is a single market so the payrolls are pretty indicative of the quality of the teams. Some teams over-perform, some teams rely on young players with lower pay but the generally they are indicative.

And the Transfermkt values aren't dreamed up. Theres some science. There are anomalies but there's a correlation.

In Eredivisie there's 5 squads worth less than €20M. In the Belgian Pro (and MLS), zero.

But Eredivisie has 3 teams worth more than €200M, the Belgian Pro zero. MLS (and Liga MX) has zero teams worth more than €90M.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's because top in Netherland is much better than top in Belgium, while bottom is equally poor.

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #2066 butters59, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
    Any source for this amazing numbers? You mean average player on Eupen, Ostende and Westerloo is above $600K?
    https://footystats.org/belgium/pro-league/salaries
    Most of the teams there is way below $20M
    https://salarysport.com/en-us/football/#jupiler-pro-league

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Those are nothing than their wild dreams. Nobody knows USL level players values as they don't have any.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It'll be interesting to see what the plan is for Keyrol. Still only 17. Probably won't loan him out just yet. Maybe another year in the Liverpool system.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Very good list imo. I only have a few minor quibbles. For some reason, I was overlooking that Dest was outside of big five...

I would put Scally in lock. I don't know the GK's but can't see Horvath as a lock...maybe we really are that thin? DM/CM: I know Cardoso has been playing well but haven't seen him recently. Pretty much the same as LDLT. I think leaving one behind (like you say, Musah could probably cover). If you wanted to bring 2 CM/DM, you could probably avoid taking 2 rb. I think backup to RB could be covered by Weah's versatility and Versatility is also one area that could get Acosta a look as CB/DM/RB as well. (I don't really know how Acosta has been playing recently, so this is projection as well) That would allow you to take a third attacker or possibly AM/CF/WF (Vazquez/Aaronson/Tillman).

That's pretty much it.

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Do I "know" it? No.

But the ELO style of ranking system is pretty effective across many sports. So as I described, if the Dutch top teams are a little better than the Danish top teams, and then the Dutch top teams are way better than the Dutch bottom but the Danish top are only a little better than the Danish bottom ... that's the way the Opta system works. Only they use real results and real numbers.

I don't know where you get that.

Here's OPTAs rankings which incorporate the same data as the Coefficient, but also internal league data:

PSV 89
    Feyenoord 87

Copenhagen 83
    Nordsjælland 82
    Twente 81
    Brondby 81
    Midtjylland 81
    Ajax 81
    AZ 80

AGF 77

So PSV and Feyenoord are much better -- not the Top 5.

But as I said before, this is a bit of a cheat, because the Eredivisie has more teams. If we just fill out the leagues to the 12 in Denmark, the above is the Top 10, and then the next 7 from each are:

Utrecht 77
    NEC 76

Vibord 76
    Sparta 75
    Silkeborg 74
    Randers 74
    Go Ahead Eagles 74
    Herenveen 73

Vejle 73
    OB 72
    Zwolle 71
    Waalwijk 71

Lingby 71
    Hvidovre 70

There's not a ton of material differences here. Obviously Utrecht is better than Hvidore, but Herenveen and Velje's rankings are basically the same.

The Eredivisie gets pulled down in Opta's rankings by teams like Volendam (66) which would be in second division Denmark.

Reality is that the Top 12 of the Eredivisie is a bit better, mostly because of PSV and Feyenoord, BUT if we're looking at Tillman, Pepi and Dest's level of competition for context for their league stats, they do get to play 4-5 teams that are worse than any team they'd have played in Denmark.

And in their case, they don't have to play themselves ... a big reason why the Eredivisie is ranked better.

gjackson2207 and superdave repped this.
  22. Oh, by the way.
    You can be a failure at Young PSV and low flying PEC Zwolle, but end up being an Italian national team player and on the verge of getting into the EL Final.
    Gianluca Scamacca is making his Dutch/Italian family proud.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #2073 Excellency, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
    McGlynn and A. Morris are both climbing the ladder in G+ over on American Soccer Analysis | App - 7th and 9th respectively among all CM's with more than 500 minutes. McGlynn's "interrupting" metric is competitive which (I suppose) shows Philly worked on getting him involved defensively.

b.t.w., Kellyn Acosta is now ranked #121 out of 124 midfielders (CM, DM & AM) in their app (61st out of 64 DM's). Recall he was consensus back up to Adams at the WC in Qatar and a Berhalter and BS fave.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Very true. It's important that only really motivated players are on the team.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he did a good job when called upon in the build-up to the World-Cup. Maybe the combo of not getting his dream Euro move, being shuttled around and playing for a crappy team have affected him.