USMNT International Rankings in Modern Era

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SamsArmySam, Nov 6, 2019.

1. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Rankings trivia...

How many spots in the international rankings have we climbed in the past 3 decades since "the modern era of US Soccer" began Nov 1989 with Paul Caligiuri's "shot heard round the world" that qualified the USMNT for the 90WC after a 36yr turn in the wilderness?

Three
    #46 in 1989
    #43 today
    http://eloratings.net/1989
    http://eloratings.net/

What was our best single year?
    #13 in 2013

What was our best 4-year run?
    #16, 16, 18, 17 from 2002-5

Worst 4-year run?
    #46, 54, 34, 33 from 1990-93

For those who want to see the full data set...

Year = Rank
    2019 = 43
    2018 = 34
    2017 = 27
    2016 = 32
    2015 = 30
    2014 =19
    2013 = 13
    2012 = 26
    2011 = 36
    2010 =23
    2009 =17
    2008 = 19
    2007 = 29
    2006 = 26
    2005 = 17
    2004 = 18
    2003 = 16
    2002 = 16
    2001 = 29
    2000 = 21
    1999 = 20
    1998 = 38
    1997 = 35
    1996 = 33
    1995 = 32
    1994 = 52
    1993 = 53
    1992 = 33
    1991 = 34
    1990 = 54
    1989 = 46

um_chili, TOAzer, Bob Morocco and 4 others repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    For context, someone remind me exactly when we were ranked 5th (in the World, not CONCACAF).

3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    That was in 2006. FIFA had us #5 going into the World Cup.

TrueCrew, Guinho, sXeWesley and 2 others repped this.
  4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    That aged well.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to say we were 4th for some reason. I think Czech Republic was 2 and Italy was 3. It's been a long time so correct me if I’m wrong.

Guinho repped this.
  6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    2006 heading into the World Cup, but that was FIFA not Elo, and afterward FIFA changed its rankings more in line with Elo.

Here were the Elo rankings for our group heading into the first week of the 2006 World Cup, which seemed a lot more accurate to me:

4. Czech Republic
    7. Italy
    16. USA
    55. Ghana

The one exception is that Ghana was a lot stronger than those rankings suggested. Actually, Ghana has been consistently underrated by Elo due to its poor performances in friendlies. Coincidentally, I leave this article here without comment: https://deadspin.com/ghana-soccer-official-involved-in-match-fixing-sting-1595093701

DHC1, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the T&T debacle I assumed that serious efforts would be made to remedy the situation.... but if you read appropriate articles, listen to Stars and Stripes on Sirius and well... just watch the product on the field... it is clear that the whole process is in disarray. We had one good youth coach [Ramos] and now he is gone. Our U17 team got embarrassed in the WC playing the same stagnant and inept style GB is coaching our USMNT squad to play. It is one giant cluster**** and there is literally no end in sight. The scariest part about it is that our youth talent seemed to offer a ray of hope and I am hearing some really bad things about the way youth club soccer is organized now. But the entire regime is in bed together and there is no owner that can just cut out the entire tumor and start over. One has to think that failing to Q again for the WC would be the final straw... but who is to say?

Guinho, TimB4Last, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  8. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I've reorganized those by coaching era, i.e. by listing our Elo rankings during each year of each USMNT manager's spell in charge, plus the average of their rankings. If a manager was hired in the middle of the year, I only attributed that year's ranking to whichever manager was in charge of the USMNT for most of that year.

Gansler (89-91): 46, 54 (avg. 50)

Bora (91-95): 34, 33, 53, 52 (avg. 43)

Sampson (95-98): 32, 33, 35, 38 (avg. 35)

Arena (98-06): 20, 21, 29, 16, 16, 18, 17, 26 (avg. 20)

Bradley (06-11): 29, 19, 17, 23, 36 (avg. 25)

Klinsmann (11-16): 26, 13, 19, 30, 32 (avg. 24)

Arena (16-17): 27

Sarachan (17-18): 34

Berhalter ('19): 43

9. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. Would not have guessed 2013 was higher than 2009.

Think the fact that the rating dipped then went back up after 2006 showed how much we underperformed that WC. Should have made a run. Was trying to find some shot statistics from that WC but couldn't dig up any.

Nice work!

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are looking up!

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    These aren’t yearly averages, they are our rating after our last match in that year. In 2013 our lowest ranking was 30th (post 2-1 loss to Honduras) and our highest ranking was 10th (post 4-3 win over Bosnia). In 2009 our low was 26th (post 0-3 loss to Brazil in the group) and our high was 9th (post a 2-0 win against Honduras after the CC).

I would be very interested in seeing averages, yearly, rolling 6th month, Elo rating points, whatever you and excel can get your hands on.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once folks have decided to embrace the decline, they discover that the decline leads to an abyss. There was a time, now long ago, when Argentina's was the 5th most powerful economy in the world. There was a time, now seemingly long ago, when our school students ranked among the top ten in the world. There was a time, now clearly in the ancient days, when the USMNT was on the verge of making the semifinals of the World Cup.

I guess it is true that in the abyss no one can hear you scream. Because, Brothers, we sure do scream.....and clearly no one hears us.

nbarbour, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, man, I'm just an unpaid intern!

I do agree with your point on end of year vs beginning of year, and that would be helpful for a more granular look.

Yet the end-of-year data alone are enough to see a trend line when you are looking at a span over decades. My thoughts and conclusions when viewed on this horizon...

1 Elo measures relative position of USMNT against an evolving set of international competition

2 Our relative strength has eroded substantially in recent years

3 Let's assume that the average competitor is improving over time, so to improve in the rankings you have to improve faster than that benchmark is improving

4 We improved faster than the international benchmark the most under First Arena, and we had our moments under both Bradley and Klinsmann. (I love Kalm's organization of the data.)

5 Our competitiveness has steadily eroded during Klinsmann-Second Arena-Sarachan-Berhalter era

6 We are now back to where we were -- again, relative competitiveness -- in the early 90s before WC94 even though our player pool arguably has more talent and professional seasoning that that pool did

7 This USMNT erosion has happened despite the fact that our domestic club league (MLS) was improving in quality over this horizon

I'm sure people will disagree, but that's my view. Tell me I'm wrong.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The distinction I would draw would not be end of year versus beginning of year, each of those are somewhat arbitrary snapshots. If I had time I’d look at yearly averages and maybe rolling 5 and 10 game averages. If you imagine the graph just looking at individual data points you are going to see a lot of noise (swings between highs and lows) and those averages would better reflect the true trend line.

The overall point is true and the yearly averages would show it. Goalimpact’s age curve on player’s competition adjusted +/- says that players, overall, peak, plateau, and start to dip between ages 26 and 30. Those are the best years of the typical field player’s career. Think about who we have in that age group, especially 27-28, the peak years. That should be about half the team. Yedlin, Zimmerman, and Brooks are just 26. Long, Lletget, and Morales are 27. Jozy just turned 30. That’s not enough quality depth, especially in attack.

15. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can copy and paste these in excel yourself ; )

16. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool stuff here but yeah it's not really that meaningful to select the end of the year number because as many of the comments point out, the end of the year is just an arbitrary point. Something like average ELO for a given year might give us a better sense. In another lifetime I would have had the time and will to do that, but now I just say thanks in advance to the kind homie who may do that work.

That said, the initial rating for the US may have been flattering/inflated relative to the soccer world at the time. For one thing, I think there may have been fewer countries then geopolitically. The USSR hadn't broken up and neither had Yugoslavia, so you've had like 10 new nations come on line from those two events alone.

OK just checked this: globally (not sure what ELO considers) there were 174 countries in the world in 1989, versus 195 now. So the number 46 in 1989 is relatively, not just absolutely, worse than 43 in 2019.

I also suspect there were fewer countries that were meaningfully competitive in soccer in 1989 relative to the number of countries versus now, but that's harder to prove. In 1989 the WC was pretty much the exclusive province of Europe and SA; I think Cameroon was the first country from Oceania, Africa or Asia to make the knockout rounds and that was in 1990. So it seems that the distribution of quality throughout the list of nations is flatter than it used to be. If that's right, it's another reason that 46 in 1989 looks worse than 43 in 2019.

DOn't get me wrong, y'all, I'm aware of how much our current position sucks in relation to expectations, history, and other nations. this is just to say that the story of these numbers is a bit more complicated than the 43/46 comparison lets on.

TheRightPants and TOAzer repped this.
  17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Here's a summary of our recent coaches impact on ELO score through their first 16 matches:

Coach.....................ELO pts.........Avg Opponent Rank
    Arena (1st time):...+115 points...............30
    Klinsmann:............. +24 points...............43
    Bradley:.................. -19 points...............43
    Berhalter:................ -46 points...............62

does anyone know an easy way to insert a graph from Excel?

18. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Upload as picture to imgur or similar. Then use image function here.

That certainly doesn't flatter GGG. Ouch.

gunnerfan7, DHC1 and TOAzer repped this.
  19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an impromptu graph: ;)

Arena - had the most difficult opponents, and the greatest gain, se he sets our "Arena Standard" at 0-0. He's at the origin for each coordinate. So we then get their results in this array.

Arena-1: Difficulty 0 ______________________Gain 0

Klinsmann: Difficulty -13 .............
    Bradley:

Berhalter: Difficulty -32

Klinsmann_________Gain -91

Bradley___________Gain -134

Berhalter _______________ Gain -161

The amazing progress made over the last decade has never been more clearly illustrated. .........:coffee:

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    There are caveats with some of these. For instance, our 2007 score (under Bob Bradley) is hurt a lot by the fact that he took a B team to Copa America and got clobbered. Before that tournament, our Gold Cup win had actually taken us to 15th in the rankings.

And I believe our ranking in Bora's last two years is hurt a lot by the fact that we played a million friendlies in that period without our European based players and amassed a really lousy record in those games. (A bit before my time as a fan, but at least that's what I understand from what I've read.) The mid-30s rankings we had just before and just after those two years is probably a better reflection of our level from that period.

There may be other years that need a bit more context, but those are the big ones that stand out to me: basically, any time we're playing a lot of games or several high stakes games against high quality opposition with a deliberately second or third choice team of ours, these scores are going to look off.

DHC1, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks for the color - I'm impressed you remember all that. I presented the raw data but did see that the copa tourney was a disaster for Bradley.

Here's some more raw data: the three biggest net negative scores for each coach:

Coach.........3 biggest losses
    Arena.......... -8, -13, -13* (@ Morocco, vs. Mex, @Mex)
    Klinsmann:.. -9, -12, -15 (@belgium, vs CR, vs. Ecuador)
    Bradley:......-27, -27, -38 (@ARGENTINA, @Colombia, @paraguay)
    Berhalter:... -22, -25, -34 (vs. Venezuela, vs Mexico, @ Canada)

Notes:
    • Red = Friendly
    • Klinsmann's losses were all within his first three months taking over from Bradley
    • As Kalm mentioned, Bradley's losses were all in the Copa in Paraguay where we took a B team

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We drew the champions Italy and had the winning goal called back (correctly). Horrid mistake by Reyna cost us the Ghana game. Soundly outplayed by the Czech's in the opener.

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the Jamaica losses and the T&T loss do not make the list?

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Nope

25. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have thought failing to Q for Russia would be the final straw.

Winoman repped this.