USMNT Injury Tracker

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Nov 3, 2019.

1. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    edcrocker repped this.
  2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    It reminds 2000-2001. Everybody got injured, still somehow limped through to WC.

3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as you find something that works for you. I go with the opposite w/ respect to diet. I eat quite a bit of meat and dose myself with 10MG+ of amino acids at least 5 times a day. I work out hard with weights only twice a week (push/pull), do yoga nightly and play soccer. I never get sick <knock-on-wood> and this process allowed me to recover from a very serious back injury. All that being said, I am far from a professional athlete at 44 years old.

I am sure these guys are getting the best advice regarding nutrition and exercise but the laundry list of injuries is just too long to be a coincidence now. It is something systematic... I just don't know what it is. I always see these guys stretching before they play a game but I often wonder if they stretch afterwards? It is just as important. One thing I am confident about is that an elite athlete needs even more amino acids than I am taking and I take a ton. Protein ends up being broken down into amino acids anyways. Mainline them and reap the benefits.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I’ll say the more plant-based diet is something newer for me. I’ve always been a big meat eater, but I wanted to discipline myself to try something new to see what kind of pros/cons it would have. I’ve discovered I’ll never go entirely plant based. I still have zero ethical concerns with meat eating. But I do believe it’s helped my digestive health and I’m still iffy on improvement in recovery time.

That said, yoga has been a game changer for me. I still feel like a dork saying I do yoga... especially as a combat vet who counsels other combat vets. But I just say to them, look, I was tired of living life in chronic pain everyday. I still have a lot of pain. Ever since that IED on February 23, 2005 in Mosul, Iraq. But I tend to have less occurrences of long layoffs like I have struggled with over the years because of re aggravating those old injuries... which I had two lesions on my amygdala and a T12 anterior compression fracture and some ruptured disks... that I ignored for the remainder of my deployment (8 months) - while still carrying a combat load that exceeded 100+ lbs of gear. Still, have problems with nerve pain and sciatica, but at least I can workout enough now to not be a fat ********.

Nevertheless, in their case...I hope there are professionals paying attention to their overall health. I’m sure there is attention to those details to a degree. But it’s also not easy to get 18-21 year old to take care of themselves like they should either.

5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in the quality of training that pro athletes get.

I've seen too many millionaires doing silly stuff under the supervision of some trainer/guru.

Pegasus and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe pretty much the same thing.

I’m not saying that they don’t get more than the average joe, but the proof is in the pudding when the whole team almost all suffers from significant injuries. It’s certainly an epidemic... which points to something is more wrong than 1-2 players are just naturally more injury prone than others.

Pegasus repped this.
  7. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Tashjian ran the sport performance department for the Crew and has some philosophies regarding low carb eating and soccer. Low carb from a historical standpoint means using body fat for energy and has a delay in injury recovery (at least from what I remember and read from a quick google look, more studies may be available now with the rise of keto). But it means you need more oxygen to move and the faster and more you move the more oxygen you need versus someone on a non-carb restricted diet. So if he implemented some of the his old crew policies, it could be having a negative effect on performance if he hasnt tweaked it to be more carb friendly.

Darcy Norman worked with the German FA and Roma as a movement coach, so he has a good pedigree but Ill be honest I dont know much about him or his methodologies, I imagine because he tries to keep them close.

Of course it could all be down to club management as well, but to see so many different muscle injuries across the board in USMNT athletes leads me to think its something in the overall approach.

But again I dont dabble much into controlling my players diets, a bit out of the realm for a public high school. I do give advice if they ask. And of course I believe in a more plyometric approach with weight room more about building functional strength and used more sparingly. So most of the exercise I have them do is soccer specific.

largegarlic, Winoman and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, too lazy to google, is this an injury to the same hammy or the opposite hammy this time? Must be going crazy with these injuries.

( Editted: I had to edit as I originally said "to lazy to google". I was even too lazy to include a second damn o in the first to!!)

TimB4Last repped this.
  9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Different hamstring, not the same one. I have not seen a report on the severity of the new tear.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shiite. That blows. Good thing he's not a racehorse, they'd have turned him into glue after this injury. That or dog food.

11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think your high school kids need plyometrics until they are actually strong. I’ve seen people suggest that you don’t do that stuff until you can squat 2x body weight.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    We may just have to stop telling our guys to give 110%.

13. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ryan Giggs had a long, mostly injury-free, career. He always attributed it to yoga. I really think the stretching and flexibility required in yoga go a long way toward preventing muscle injuries.

tomásbernal, Pegasus, ttrevett and 3 others repped this.
  14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Brady too. Pretty illustrious elderly athletes there who spent most of their professional years playing as opposed to being on IR.

jnielsen repped this.
  15. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant speak for everyone, but I have saw better flexibility and movement since switching to a more plyo heavy approach. 60 percent of everything we do is soccer specific, with a ball, or to improve muscle pliability.

The reason is that research has shown more flexibility decreases muscle injuries and increases the ability to recover.

So a typical game week goes 120 minute practice, 90 spent on game/tactic/technique/soccer specific. Then followed with a recovery day that involves light jogging with the ball, stretching, hip/back/knee/ankle strengthening and conditioning and a reward game like soccer tennis, practicing penalties, corner shootouts, longest pass, etc something to get their spirits up. Then game day, then recovery day 45 minute stretch/jog, the next day another 120 minute practice half time in the gym with weights but focusing on reps not weight, followed with a 60 minute scrimmage to implement game specific or weaknesses. Then total off day, then game day then off day.

Summer is more gym work, but even then its honestly only about 15-20 percent of our overall gameplan, and so far with the players that come through I have saw a drastic improvement in their ability to bounce back, their actual game strength(not so much in the how much can you lift sense) and improvement in their game.

Cant speak for everyone but for me its working better for soccer than a more traditional sports lifting plan. Of course Im not saying Im right in doing what I do, just kind of giving a reasoning behind why.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm far short of knowing enough to argue about this stuff.

FWIW, doing heavy squats made me more flexible.

17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious rep. Thanks for your service... big ups. Really hope the new regimen alleviates your pain.

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks!

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

jnielsen repped this.
  20. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread makes me think we didn't appreciate how healthy Landon was and that we spend too much time talking about Jozy's injuries.

Apparently, pro soccer is injurious.

Magikfute and CU soccer repped this.
  21. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon was a machine. Doubt there will ever be another like him for the US.

22. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Good Lord this is getting depressing.

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some players seem to always get injured about the time it seems they are about to get callups. Real bad luck as eventually the manager moves on.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    So who is definitively out for March?

- Weah
    - miazga
    - arriola
    - bradley

likely out

- Steffen
    - Holmes

potentially out

- Pulisic
    - adams
    - ARobinson

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'd put Pomykal as potentially out. He may be back in full training for FCD by then, but he's missed all of their pre-season. THey probably won't wanna risk him.

Servania, who was recently capped, is also out.

DHC1 repped this.