USMNT in Portland?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dchang44, Jun 28, 2005.

1. dchang44

dchang44 Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    does anyone have any information about when and where the USMNT might practice when they are in portland? at nike? practice times? open or closed to the public?

2. amesfirequakes

Sep 22, 2001
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=187406

"The team will begin to assemble June 26 in Portland, Ore., and will train at Nike World Headquarters. The group will move to Seattle on July 3."

And they always say the practices are closed, but you can go as long as the field isn't barricaded or something. I'm not sure what the Nike training facility is like. When they were practicing at Dominican University in Chicago before the England friendly, US Soccer said the practice was closed but I went anyway and met a bunch of the guys. So I would say go and check it out.

Good luck.

Amy

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why that is, that they always close it to the public. It's not like there's really gonna be some spy there scouting out the team and giving away our secret plays...or is there?

Just seems it woudn't hurt to let people watch if they want.

4. amesfirequakes

Sep 22, 2001
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason US Soccer gave was that if they openly publicized practices too many people would show up and it would become a security issue. I can believe that.

Also, about the secret spy thing...anything is possible. I brought my video camera and I only got about 2 min. of footage because a security guy said that video cameras weren't allowed and then he kept watching me.

Does anyone know if scouting is only allowed during games?

Amy

5. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, well, that's a good enough explanation for me. :)

I'd love to go to a practice sometime, though.

6. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I think it is highly likely that even though they state the practice is "closed" you will be able to get in without any problem.

Just pull up and park your car somewhere close to Nike and walk right into the fields which are kind of in the middle of the complex. Just pretend like you belong there, and if some security guard tries to stop you then say you are meeting some friend at Nike dealing with the Nat practice, or some other excuse.

During the ManU practice at Nike I believe everyone in attendance was supposed to have some sort of bracelet/ID, but I just kind of wandered in and didn't have any problem. Let's hope its the same at this practice.

7. qqkz1000

qqkz1000 New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I just stopped by the nike campus, at 1 PM there was no practice going on, so I dunno what time they practice. the field isn't in the middle it is on the far west side of the complex and is very easy to get too off the road, there is no guard nearby either. I might stop by tomorrow morning but it would be nice if someone knew what time they practiced, i could get pictures for everyone :)

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I dropped by Nike at 10am and they were just starting their 6 on 6 games. I guess that had started stretching at 9- 9:30. Hardly anyone was there. I don't know if they practce in the pm. I just parked in a N ike lot (no need to park outsude of campus) and walked to the field. No one said anything and I saw no guards, though doubtless Nike security was there.

9. DragonFly

DragonFly New Member

Dec 31, 1999
    According to ussoccer.com, Nike had setup a TV for them to watch the Brasil v Argentina Confederations Cup final - which is maybe where they were at 1pm (last sentence on this page).

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I'm starting to think you are related to Santino... ;)