USMNT in Maryland on 8/2/02

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Postmaster, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see this elsewhere...

Members of the USMNT will be at the Maryland Soccerplex in Germantown, MD today (8/2). There will be various autograph signings, etc. from 10:30-7:00.

The MLS All-Stars (including some probable future members of the USMNT) will also hold an open practice from 10:45-11:30.

Sorry about the very late notice. I had to go over there this morning to find out any details.

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Its up on the MLS website, but not exactly visible to the casual observer.

3. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing Startling to Report

I spent a long lunch over there and have little to report, but here it is...

The players arrived a bit late (rumor was that they'd been to the White House in the morning, but I haven't been able to confirm that).

I saw no USMNT players -- just MLS All Stars, who did hold a "practice" (i.e., keep away, shoot on the keeper) for fans and media. The lads had fun.

USMNT players were scheduled to be at autograph sessions, but the list I saw for the time I was there included only the non-WC players used to fill out the roster for this match.

Bottom line: You didn't miss much.

4. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Nothing Startling to Report

My wife just reported she had a brief chat w/ Landon and that he was "soooo nice." "He stood for hours in the heat signing autographs and very sweetly signed my water bottle just after they said 'No more autographs.'"

It's nice to have his autograph, but I'd feel terrible if he keeled over from heatstroke in the 82nd minute tomorrow!

Sounds like a he's great ambassador for the sport!

DMB and others were also on hand. Seems like MLS, DCUnited, USSF, the MD Soccerplex all did a nice job reaching out to the community in this event.

5. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Re: Re: Nothing Startling to Report

Saw him a Dulles yesterday flying in - I just came back on business from LA ... he had a smile on his face - some agents/friends around him and his Nike hat on backward - looked like a kid who treats the world like a big ice cream cone - hopefully he will put on a good show tomorrow.