USMNT Call-ups

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by dashiel, Oct 6, 2014.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Omar and Landon have been called up.

Meanwhile in Seattle, Toronto and Kansas City certain World Cup starters have not. I’m uncomfortable at how close to a San Jose fan this is going to sound, especially with Yedlin being called in, but is this one final way for Jurgen to screw Landon? Weakening the Galaxy substantially while leaving Seattle comparatively unscathed?

I wouldn’t put any stock in it if Jurgen hadn’t already outed himself as a petulant and vindictive man willing to hamstring his team to carry out his personal agenda.

2. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lack of Dempsey is a little strange. The whole roster is a bit strange. I'm glad we're keeping Gyasi, and I hope Landon has a good experience, and that both he and Omar come back unscathed. We are losing Keane, too - the fault is really with the scheduling. And LD's testimonial match should have been specially arranged and after the MLS season, not this slap-dash attempt to squeeze it into the regular schedule.

3. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK seems to have mostly called in younger guys, so the call-ups are consistent based on that. I'm surprised he hasn't called in Bradley. I actually think calling up Yedlin makes Seattle a better team, as he is good for multiple scoring chances from their opponents every game. He's like Leonardo, except he can run fast with the ball, which gets everyone all excited.

I also think it's interesting that JK seems to have thrown his lot in with Jozy 100%. You look at his roster, and I'm guessing Jozy will be captain again. Bradley should be at the heart of this team. He'll only be 31 for the next WC, and he is a natural leader. I'm a little concerned that Bradley may get marginalized from the team in the same way Donovan has been.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please explain to those of us who don't wear tinfoil hats what is the "personal agenda"?

It seems that Klinsmann is doing exactly what he said post-WC2014 he would do, which is look at the younger potential members of the roster for much of the first year of this new cycle.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blame it on USSF - they need LD to sell tickets. Otherwise only a handful of hard core would have bothered with this thing.

Beakmon FC, StillKickin and Geneva repped this.
  6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He has a history of getting stroppy with those that don't share his worldview.

When he was playing for Bayern and Matthaus saw himself as the star as opposed to Klinsmann, the relationship was so bad that it hurt the team.

When he was coaching at Bayern and the upper echelons of the club and then the players came to question his methods, it turned into a political mess.

When Landon Donovan strayed from the beaten path and played soccer on his own terms and ultimately did what was right for his life, Klinsmann took at as something to be punished, made him jump through hoops to get back into the nats, then despite doing all that was asked of him, he dropped him anyway.

Then he selected players which completely contradicted his reasons for not taking Donovan.

I don't agree with @dashiel in terms of Klinsmann trying to hobble the Galaxy by selecting Omar - he also selected Yedlin and it looks like he had the LD selection thrust upon him - but you wouldn't put it past him.

7. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand why there are so many new faces in this roster, but I don't like the fact that LD will be playing this meaningful game without some of his best USMNT buddies (Beasley, for example). I get that Klinsmann needs to start looking forward, so it's a pretty tricky situation. I still would've liked Bradley and Dempsey on this roster.

hav77, StillKickin, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  8. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this. He was the second coming of Pele to the Nats fanboys.

9. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsi likes Bradley and Dempsey, and wants to see their teams make the playoffs/win the shield. And no SKC players either?

10. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    The Landon selection was a given, it’s the decision to bring in Omar while leaving Besler at SKC. Admittedly Besler is having a bit of a slump, but Omar’s slump last season didn’t preclude him from call ups. I’m doing one of those horrible things crap journalists do and asking a leading question; I don’t know if this is Klinnsy being petulant, but I certainly wouldn’t put it past him.

sdcastro137 and Ghosting repped this.
  11. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a slap in the face to LD if you ask me. He DESERVES an ACTUAL USMNT roster for his "send off" match.

"Thanks for all you've done, here's a crap friendly with a bunch of kids that never went to war with you wearing the red white and blue." "oh and we are scheduling this against Ecuador, to remind you of all the hard fought battles you shared against... Ecuador"

Dawdler and hav77 repped this.
  12. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that - Green, Chandler, Yedlin - all guys that could have (should have) easily been left off the Brazil roster in favor of Donovan. All that's needed to rub it in a bit more is Brad Davis.

shelbo repped this.
  13. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS and USSF are partly to blame as well. Why doesn't MLS just recognize FIFA international dates? ...and USSF should've just arranged for LD to play in a different friendly for his farewell game.

Ghosting repped this.
  14. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are so many ways to work around the international breaks. I think that's the single big flaw of Garber's reign is that he keeps saying it is too hard. It is not. Play less games, do more midweeks, cut out friendlies in mid season---I don't care what you do, but STOP playing on international breaks. It's absurd and if Garber had enough real leadership, he'd fix that issue, even if it made some sponsors mad or lost a little bit of money for the owners. Personally, I think the tradeoffs are MORE than worth it.

galvanator repped this.
  15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roster is what it is due to the MLS games and the fact that they wanted Landon to play in an actual game. I've said before I like that much better than some testimonial match where they bring Brian Ching on as goalie. I wanted LD to play in an actual game. He gets to record 1 final assist or goal if he can.

And I hope it's LD to Jozy Altidore. That would be AWESOME.

I am bummed as a result that the roster is feeling very "meh" and that there's only 1 person connecting him to the senior squad (Jozy). But thems the breaks with when this game happens.

I'm hoping that Gyasi gets his shot in January, and that Bruce sat him down and told him that so that there's no disappointment. He's earned a shot.

Omar going is a direct result of Besler having a crappy season after coming back from the WC. Sigh. He's been lights out of late, so we're going to miss him. Worried about the Dallas game. Wondering if they have any injuries.

We'll make it through.

Wondering if Rogers would have gone if he hadn't hamstrung himself.

Ghosting repped this.
  16. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just the roster for the Ecuador game, not the Honduras game as well. I suspect that an entirely new roster will be named for that game and all the players that are receiving regular minutes with their club will be sent back and a crop of new players will replace them.

Ghosting repped this.
  17. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read on Twitter that Klinsmann is considering sending the Euro-based players back after the Ecuador friendly and then calling in MLS players for the Honduras friendly. That makes sense, but why call Omar and Yedlin up for Friday's match? It's things like this that make me question Klinsmann's thinking.

Berks and WarGalaxy repped this.
  18. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    It’ll be interesting to see who Jurgen names as captain.

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore.

Berks, Ghosting and barroldinho repped this.
  20. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying this happens, but if Jurgen really wants to deliver one last slap to the face of LD, he would bring him on as a sub.

Or if he just wants to be petulant, he'll play LD or Omar (or both) for 90 minutes.

Hopefully neither of these things happen.

Perfect scenario: Omar doesn't make any defensive mistakes. LD starts and scores/assists on multiple goals. No injuries, and both are taken out at the half.

21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Landon will start, be the captain, and come off somewhat before halftime to a standing ovation. Omar will start and play 60. Just a guess.

22. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird lineup. Heavy on forwards and lite on defenders. And, only one left back?

Oh, I get it... Jürgen's gonna start Landon at LB, then pull him in the second half for Greg Garza.

USA!

Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Donovan sub in at the half. Play for 30-40 minutes, then get subbed out for his lengthy standing ovation and deafening chants of 'Hey Jurgen, you suck! Hey Jurgen, you suck!"...

shelbo and Ghosting repped this.
  24. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed... but maybe closer to 20 minutes. Hopefully after a goal and two assists... but I don't ask for much. :)

25. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Very insightful guess.
    Your steak knives are at the team merchandise store. :)

TrickHog, Berks and Geneva repped this.