USL Sacramento Name and Colors

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by techguy9707, Feb 1, 2013.

1. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    Since we have confined all our discussion to one or two threads, here is a new one dedicated to ideas for team names and the associated colors or logos.

To start the conversation, I feel we need to stay away from FC Gold to protect the existing teams market. That said, something gold mining related seems fair.

As to the Magpie in the other thread, I like the colors but I am not 100%.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Magpies would give you something unique in lots of possibilities with branding, logos and crest.

For the colors i like the dark blue black, gold and white combo that has been thrown around.

on a side note, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Sacromento. I have quite a few friends in the area but sadly havent been out that way for years... Maybe if the Charleston Battery play there in 2014 I can make a road trip out of it.

3. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Sacramento Magpies

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pleased to see this new forum!!
    I'm also pleased that my Magpies suggestion seems to be going over well.

Cool! Now we just need to hear and see some official progress. Oh, and you guys in Sacto need to start a supporters group!! Get on it!

- Mark

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm almost 100% sold of Sacramento Magpies, one way or another -- either Sacramento Magpies or something like Sacramento SC/FC, "The Magpies".

If not for 49ers, I'd be up for something like Sacramento 1849 (though I think the city was actually founded in 1848). But that's taken. So that's out. But a Gold Rush theme? If someone had a good idea along those lines, I'd listen. Or you could do a first transcontinental railroad theme. But Locomotive Sacramento seems like a mouthful.

I want something that fits the city, or at least the region. Magpies satisfies that condition. To me any alternative name has to be even better on that point than Magpies, and I just haven't seen that yet.

6. NateTheRed

NateTheRed New Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Albeit an indoor team, i'd be a fan of bringing the Knights back. Magpies sound good as well. Other than those or Sexy United, something simple like Sacramento United or FC Sacramento would be perfect i think.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento Sacramentans.

8. 603transplant

603transplant New Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Sorry, but Sacramento Magpies sounds awful, maybe as an unofficial term though. If not Sacramento United or Sacramento FC, Sierra FC could be an option. Rather than Locomotives, why not Sacramento Express? Sacramento has a diverse population, especially with Latinos, so playing with "oro," the Spanish word for gold, could work.

Whether the Kings stay or not, purple is in the blood of people in the Sacramento-area. To avoid confusion with the Lakers, purple shouldn't be combined with gold. Blue (for the Sacramento river) and Gold (for the Gold Rush) might fit.

9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have something original. Taking or copying names like "United" is lame; we should have something unique or characteristic of Sacramento. Locomotives, Express.. These are already taken by opponents in other leagues. I like Sierra, but that is a stretch as Sacramento isn't actually in the Sierras. :) there is a NPSL team called Sacramento Gold FC so we can't steal their name.

Another item of discussion is - FC or SC, or to use one at all? To me, SC is what makes sense. We play soccer in the United Soccer Leagues. Therefore, we should be a Soccer Club, shouldn't we?

No purple! ;) I love the Kings but we don't need to bring that into our soccer team. Depending on the theme/name, I'd live to see some green and blue (trees and rivers), or gold, or a California flag inspired red-white-green-brown.

My top names at the moment are City of Trees SC or Sacramento Magpies SC. I'm indifferent to some of the others, but would like to hear more!!

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Again, my two options would be either Sac City (sounds nice/Saacramento is already referred to as Sac City by a lot of people) or the Sacramento Magpies (already explained). And with either names, we could go with the colors of dark blue, black, and white.

11. Huskerdude

Huskerdude New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really like the idea of Sacramento SC, with Magpies as the "official nickname", or however that would work.

12. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento United is the name of a competitive youth team. River City Boca Juniors is the name of another one. River City United sounds good, but something more original but equally as catchy and that rolls off the toungue as easily would be good.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Just a few quick thoughts --

-- This should be a distinctive name for the city. The River Cats already exist. So that should mean no "river" nothing for this team. Be unique. And no purple -- the Kings might not even be around. Don't imitate other teams in the region.

-- For that matter, you can't go with River City FC because, frankly, nobody outside the region knows what River City is all about. I'm looking at this team as a future MLS candidate. So are the owners. If this team eventually heads to MLS, it's going to be as a team with Sacramento in its name.

-- Sacramento United. I am rather fond of the United name. But think long term here -- DC United already exists. Can the league handle two Uniteds? Maybe not. You have to choose a name that will work in the long run.

-- Sacramento FC or Sacramento SC or something along those lines (CD Sacramento!) aren't like United. We've already got Toronto FC and FC Dallas. You could have Sacramento FC too.

-- I think you could have Sacramento City (Sac City).

-- The FC, SC, City, and CD style names are flexible official names that leave plenty of room for official or semi-official nicknames like Magpies.

-- I'm still highly partial to Sacramento Magpies. But I could easily settle for Sacramento SC, "The Magpies," provided Magpies is an official nickname, and maybe even incorporated into the logo. Indeed, I'd want it definitely incorporated into the logo.

markmcf8, QuietType and mangerson repped this.
  14. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team posted a link to the new forum yesterday morning and it looks like several fans came over and viewed the team name and colors thread. Then, they went back over to the Facebook page to complain about Magpies.

kids these days. Geez.

:)

15. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool! Well at least this will get the conversation going for some who don't know about these forums yet! (not cool about the dismissal of Magpies though)

16. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait !
    is there an official Sacramento team page in facebook ? link please !

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  18. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What website?

And on Facebook I see generic yellow text over grass. That doesn't necessarily mean their ultimate colors will be green and gold.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    http://sacprosoccer.com/

The colors are all generic to my eye.

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green and gold are the colors on the USL Pro logo. They're just using generic USL Pro colors for now.

22. NateTheRed

NateTheRed New Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You pretty much just sold me on Magpie thing. I think it would be really good nickname for the team. You essentially proved it. I'm not so much sold on the "SC" part, i dunno why but it doesn't really do much for me. I know we're in America but FC gives me a better feel. Overall for me, the simplicity of FC(SC) Sacramento, Sacramento FC(SC), Sacramento United "Magpies" feels really good.

I always forget we need colors as well.. Can never go wrong with green and gold, i think a Real Madrid/Swansea white and gold would be really sexy ;) I definitely don't want black on the home jersey either.

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  23. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NateTheRed, welcome to the BigSoccer and the Sacramento forum!

24. NateTheRed

NateTheRed New Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thanks, so far this forums been excellent! Hope we can keep it up! Wish 2014 was here already :p

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  25. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Exactly everything I was thinking. At least, in 2013, we will be provided with some exhibition matches from the club, which isn't bad at all.