USL General News thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thefishy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless L1 starts paying 5he same expansion fees as C AND is in comparable markets, I doubt pro/rel will happen. USLC is hitting the not quite MLS markets and L1 is hitting the markets below that. I don't believe that the league will be willing to alter that for some deluded notion of "purity" any more than MLS would.

2. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's possible, but I think USL as a league is willing to try it to differentiate itself with the rest of the US Sports landscape. I think the gap between the bottom of USLC and the top of L1 when that time comes will be a lot smaller than you think. I also think the expansion fee's will be a dead issue because USL has said USLC expansion will at some point stop ... there will be no "delta" between USLC and L1 expansion fee's. L1 will be the entry fee across the board (and it will go up when ULSC closes). The price of getting into USLC will be L1+promotion. I also think market size will be negligible ... there are currently markets in L1 that are larger than USLC (Madison, WI larger than Birmingham, AL ... Omaha, NE is larger than plenty of USLC markets). I think MLS2 teams will be encouraged to sell their spot in USLC to people wanting to get into ULSC and that's how they'll "nudge" MLS2 teams down to L1. But this is all speculation/personal preference.

3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Except Jake Edwards has been very open about pro/rel between League 1 and the Championship being under consideration.
    Granted, they're just words until there's an actual plan, and he's never gone into specifics, but the very fact that they're entertaining the idea (unlike Garber) means they're at least prepping the existing franchises for the possibility of it.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    ?
    Birmingham is twice the size of Madison. Madison is about the same size as Chattanooga.

I do think that USL would have to challenge some aspects of the PLS to implement pro/rel, though.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad ... I looked at a city population and not market size. The population of Madison is like 260k per the list I was looking at and Birmingham at 210k or so ... but that's not the right way to look at it anyways, my bad. Still, there are some cross overs I believe.

I agree, the PLS could eventually be an issue, but only if a high enough percentage of cities with smaller populations enter USLC ... or if net worth of ownership groups becomes an issue. I think USL will work with USSF to get something of a working solution if pro/rel is implimented in a 50+ team 2 division setup.

6. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Yeah, your general point is correct: Reno and Colorado Springs are under the population limit and if Monterey actually ever happens, it will be way under.
    Meanwhile, Richmond, Omaha, and Greenville are all over the minimum for D2.

2in10 repped this.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    D'oh. As a KCitian, I thought you wouldn't make that mistake as Kansas City has been "larger" than Saint Louis for, what, twenty years now, despite Saint Louis metro being far larger than KC metro (in population, that is). Oh well, can't win'em all.

Blando13 repped this.
  8. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know this Saint Louis you speak of, if he's a "saint" I'm sure he's a fine person, but currently that name means nothing to me.

AndyMead repped this.
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    2in10 repped this.
  10. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprising, but it's a shame that they couldn't have simply relocated to another market in the region.

2in10 repped this.
  11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I guess they could still do an Ottawa Fury and "sell" their franchise rights.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  12. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1787 Doogh, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    I don't get the outrage coming out of this. The team was owned by an nonprofit local soccer academy and its CEO decided to join St Louis City MLS ownership group instead. The team wouldn't survived COVID-19 regardless if it was continued for another year or two until St Louis City starts. Bring the brand from USL to MLS would lead to legal issues, unlike FC Cincinnati for example.

Apparently that didn't stop the SUM/MLS and US Soccer conspiracies on Twitter, really bad, awful takes and fan shaming from folks whose time in American soccer was 2 years ago.

HailtotheKing, C-Rob and aetraxx7 repped this.
  13. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now to find out about the Austin and Charlotte franchises in USL. Sacramento Republic is moving up to MLS.

14. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I think there is a dwindling market for this, with many of USL's target markets already having someone sitting on the territorial rights. It would also require a team ready to make the jump immediately, which narrows the pool even more.
    Somewhere like New Orleans or Fort Worth, maybe. Or the Cosmos :whistling:

15. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Sacramento USL-C makes the jump , St Louis won't be and although I have no proof what so ever, I don't think Austin and Charlotte USL-C will survive in their current forms.
    THUS, this is where as I posted elsewhere, a chat between MLS and USL and their relationship would be key.
    To me, all 3 of teams would ideally move over to USL-1 and be the reserve team. They could keep playing in current stadiums (although I think Charlotte is better moved to Memorial) & keep the same local ownership. The current owners would not have to fund players salaries, a big expense.
    Of course, this puts the reserves in USL-1. These teams if they want a relationship with a USL-C team for maybe the purposes of putting a few players on a higher level of play, could have a relationship with a nearby USL-C team.
    Austin with San Antonio, Charlotte with Raleigh, St Louis with Indy.
    Yes I know, requires a lot cooperation, lowered egos, rules and regs to properly work etc., (thus it won't probably happen)
    -
    So then another thought is, lets say Sac jumps and the other 3 disappear. Then in theory, USL-C could accept new teams in 4 more new markets. Are we going to run out of quality markets for a solid 2nd division? We have to consider that down the road MLS could add at least 2 more & some MLS-2 teams may drop down from USL-C.
    32 is a nice size league, MLS hopefully stops there and USL-C can get there and stay there with the changes coming to its league. Lets face it, 64 professional level teams is pretty good, better than anything I have ever seen in my lifetime and if USL-1 fills out, it could be even more. Pretty amazing stuff.

2in10 repped this.
  16. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------------------
    I have always wondered what MLS would have been like with the Cosmos on board.
    Truthfully, it would really have just been a famous name, I doubt that would be playing to 60,000 in the Meadowlands.
    However, a 3rd soccer team in the NY market would have been interesting.
    Cosmos should have swallowed their pride once the MLS ship sailed and gone USL-C along with Jacksonville.
    Odd Miami joined USL-C, although will be interesting to see what happens their if Beckhams team really takes off and captures the local market. I can see LA & NY markets having multiple pro markets, Miami, not so sure.
    (Yes, I know it probably would have never happened) But if they believed in soccer and just wanted to keep playing, they would have had plenty of teams on the east coast to keep travel down ) Jacksonville- Tampa/Charleston/ATL2,
    NYCosmos =Hartford/NYRB2/Phil Union
    As it is, the name Cosmos is simply "relegated" to the dustbin of soccer history. Pun intended.:D

17. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Why you gotta play NISA dirty like that?

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Cosmos didn't want to pay the $10 million USL-C expansion fee (plus they have a delusional owner).

One thing to remember about the classic Cosmos is that their average attendances were not much different to the Red Bulls and NYCFC combined.

1977 Cosmos - 34k
    2014 New York Red Bulls - 19k
    1978 Cosmos - 47k
    2015 New York MLS - 48k
    1979 Cosmos - 46k
    2016 New York MLS - 48k
    1980 Cosmos - 42k
    2017 New York MLS - 43k
    1981 Cosmos - 35k
    2018 New York MLS - 42k
    1982 Cosmos - 28k
    2019 New York MLS - 37k

canammj repped this.
  19. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 34 USL-C teams after this season with St Louis shutting down. There are supposedly up to 6 more markets that USL-C are looking at according to a recent interview with the commish. He stated he was hoping for mid to upper 30s as the league team total.
    There are currently 5 franchises/groups looking to start sometime. Queensboro FC and a Rhode Island team in 2022, East Bay which can't seem to get a stadium going, Des Moines and Buffalo. The last two have not founded their teams yet. Don't know if the markets mention include these or in addition to.
    I would not be surprised that USL-C ends up in the 32 to 40 team range with the lower half being more likely to me.

20. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    =====================
    Right, because all of this info is regarding potential teams to add. We have no clue on who we will loose (like Rochester and Penn ) or who might drop. I got the impression that some of these cities, plus DMB's Fort Wayne team were looking at USL-1, not necessarily USL-C.

2in10 repped this.
  21. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, it is a crazy situation with teams having several options for how they want to go if they field a team and even established teams being able to move. We will just have to wait for the expansion fever and shake out to end or at least slow down greatly.

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL will soon be getting a team that is run how all should be ran. By someone who is so fully in love with the game. Their gonna flip the script.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait until after the World Cup. Every two-bit one-horse town will want a professional soccer team.

2in10 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Real Monarchs for sale

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy Real Monarchs, get Real Salt Lake and Utah Royals for free!!

AndyMead, 2in10, aetraxx7 and 2 others repped this.