USL D3 Pro League Championships (R)

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by pething101, Aug 24, 2002.

1. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilmington Hammerheads versus Long Island Rough Riders.

Live on FSW at 8 pm.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Halftime score is 2-0, Wilmington.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Okay, could've sworn I saw 2-0 on the scoreline, but the score they just showed during the halftime show is 1-0. I apologize because I haven't really been watching it - just have it on while I put the kids to bed, etc. Will confirm when the game starts again.

Yes, it's definitely 1-0.

5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must have been a goal called back b/c I was in the other room and could have sworn I heard a second goal as well.

Odd.

6. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LI pulls one back off a free kick from head on. Maybe 21 yards. Keeper never even moved.

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Some sort of trickery on the free with one of the guys leaning over as if to move the ball, and a couple others running over it before it was shot. Might've confused the keeper. Mendez on the goal, and they did say there was a 2nd Wilmington goal that was called back in the first half.

When it was still 0-0, Long Island had had some really good chances, including hitting a post.

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long Island 2
    Wilmington 1

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Long Island wins 2-1. Etienne scores the gamewinner in the 83rd minute on lax marking on the left side. Keeper failed to even move AGAIN.

10. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They called back a goal but the TV people had it wrong for a while. Apparently the Hammerhead scorer was offside, though it didn't occur to me that he was when I was watching the play. The level of play was not too high. A bit of a surprise after a really outstanding PDL final.

11. Gaspard

Gaspard New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Not offside, not even close. Terrible call.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The scorer wasn't offside, but Maher, the player who headed the ball on, came from offside to win the ball - thus a correct call.

13. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    I salute my hometown Rough Riders on becoming national D3 champs. But my hat is also off to Wilmington for all the support they had with the SRO crowd. To get such a crowd for a game that is not top level is significant for soccer in this country. If the game had been held on Long Island, they would have gotten the same 150-200 people that always come out for games at Mitchel Park. Keep up the good work, Wilmington!

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, that makes sense. The scorer was onside by like 5 yards. And unlike most blown offside calls, it wasn't a long pass to him, either. If they'd called him offside it would be the worst call in soccer history.

The scorer was so clearly onside that I thought Maher was called for a foul, going over the back.

I agree about the level of play...the PDL game was a couple of notches better.

What's the story on that winger, Bartholomew? He completely turned his mark into a b****. His crossing wasn't that strong, but still...he seemed too good for this level of play.

15. Tiger1

Tiger1 New Member

Jan 28, 1999
    NY
    Edgar is ridiculous! One can only laugh watching him undress would-be defenders.

I'm not sure about the crossing comment. The cross he sent Diffley in the Freedoms game was a work of art. And Dif's finish, had not been into his own goal, could have been a goal of the year candidate.

Here's some info:
    Born in Angola, Africa, Bartolomeu previously played for the Toronto Lynx of the A-League from 1999-2000 and for Sporting of Lisbon in Portugal from 1991-95. MISL: Buffalo and Philidelphia.