USL-1 expansion

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Mar 18, 2009.

1. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Yea, while you want it to be an American league you don't want it lose it's identity as a soccer league.

You're looking at teams not playing each other every year with too many of them, and that strikes soccer people as wrong.

2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a soccer person. It doesn't strike me as wrong.

We already play an unbalanced schedule in the US. If not playing every other team strikes you as wrong so should playing some teams more than others. Yet it doesn't seem to be hurting MLS.

Keeping a balanced schedule is the least of MLS's problems. And if the choice is between alienating some fans who would stop watching if they didn't have a complete round robin schedule (few I'd imagine) and adding several teams in markets where no team currently exist. I think it's pretty easy to see which would bring the most fans/$ to the league.

Also, even with 20 teams we won't be doing a round robin for 38 games. Unless something changes TPTB don't want that many league games.

3. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the overall problem with American soccer. There are very few countries in the world with the geographic issues we face, especially when it is combined with the population. Russia is the only nation that comes close in size, but they have half the population we do.

A better contrast is perhaps the reality that most of Europe's landmass could fit inside the United States. From a population standpoint, you could take the 5 largest leagues in Europe (England, Spain, Italy, France, and Germany), combine their nation's overall populations, and you would still be about 70 million people short of the US's population numbers.

The US could have three "first division" leagues, all regional, and we'd still have issues. It's a problem that doesn't have a pretty or perfect solution. So far other sports have found ways to make it work, so following their example isn't the worst idea in the world.

4. dweissen

dweissen New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    I think part of the challenge the MLS is facing is the pressure to be a national league from the start. Other leagues (MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA) started as regional north eastern leagues, which wasn't a problem since the other parts of the country weren't as relatively populous as now, and there were no nationwide sports cable channels to compete for. It's a different dynamic than older leagues have faced when starting out.

5. Shannbo5150

Shannbo5150 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Sarawak
    Nat'l Team:
    Swaziland
    Earlier in the thread someone mentioned a USL club in Los Angeles... I think a far better open market is San Diego... This city figures nowhere in MLS' expansion plans, yet it has always struck me since MLS' inception that it is a perfect location for professional soccer team.
    On the Mexican border with large Latino population that unlike Miami or other Florida metropolitan areas, actually supports soccer as part of their cultural sporting tradition.
    San Diego is urban, urbane, cosmopolitan and young. It is a major hub of the youth club game, with exceptionally high participatory numbers. That San Diego is not primary in USL sight lines is quite frankly baffling.

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we will be seeing any new teams out west untill they can bring in a few (3 - 4) at one time. Any new team would have a big travel bill and the rest of the league probably wouldn't look forward to the trip.

7. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be a pedant I'm going to point out that the NFL started in the midwest, not the northeast.

First season standings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920_NFL_season#Unofficial_final_standings

Even a few years later when they adopted the NFL name they were still heavily based in the Midwest, even more than they were to begin with:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_NFL_season

;)

I agree with your point though.

8. dweissen

dweissen New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    I was thinking of pro football's early roots as basically Ohio and New York teams, both of which I consider "north east". But, it depends on what you consider the "beginning" of the NFL, I guess.

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will have a new USL franchise tomorrow actually a comeback: FC New York Cosmos

10. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, the NFL was created in Canton, OH. ;)

11. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets not talk about the nfl, please!

12. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hate to break your heart kid, but we've already seen than badge...
    and it ain't the Cosmos.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank heavens. I was going to be annoyed if it was. Y'all deserve something new that you can make your own.

14. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the USL should act like a second division (which it is) and stay outta of major markets. Honest to god whats this obession with new york. why not des moinse or Omaha. Branch out soccer to everywhere in America.

15. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The obsession with NYC is the fans feel they deserve a better team/organization than RBNY (I don't blame them!) USL is just a stepping stone for FCNY. The recent USL to MLS moves have shown owners (whether its correct or not) that USL is the new path to MLS.

16. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are saying. I was told that the USL is looking at markets where they aren't competing with multiple major league teams. However, there is always the matter of ownership to consider.

It's obvious that someone wants to have a team in NYC so we should let them do it if they can do it well. As far as Des Moines goes my understanding is that the ownership wants to have an SSS first before making any move and that its been some time since they tried. You'd have to ask someone on the Menace thread for more specifics there.

I was also told by Matt Weibe of USL that Omaha is an area they are looking at but he offered no details as to who is the prospective ownership group.

17. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhat of a tangent here, but another fairly disappointing crest for a new USL club if you ask me. Rowdies/Aztex/FCNY all are pretty weak in my opinion. For the record I don't think Miami FC's crest is so great either.

Reviving the Cosmos nickname and crest for FCNY would have been far superior.

19. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the Austin badge was horrible at first, but looks much nicer now than it originally did. Hopeful FCNY will change things up. Too much soccer ball on that badge too. The colors are nice, but it just feels wrong. Time to hire some professionals to design one.

Aside from that. Very cool NY Having a club. It's nice that there can be a nice rivalry through USOC and friendlies between them and RBNY.

20. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's a good start for a crest, and the explanation behind it is good, but it needs serious work(I'm a graphic designer so I'm always critical of new logo unveilings). It looks like someone threw it together in Word or MSPaint rather than hire a professional to do it. Heck, I'd do it for free, and I'm sure there are thousands of other young eager graphic artists who would do the same. I just can't stand crappy sports logos, even more so when it appears very little effort was made. The team website isn't much to write home about either lol.

I agree it's good for NYC to have a club, I'm curious to see how it does.

Also, new cup idea for 2010, the "Snowbird Cup", between Miami FC and our area's two biggest suppliers of northerner transplants, NY(FCNY) and Quebec(Impact) lol.

21. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha it should be the q-tip cup! since all of the old white haired people move down to florida like an elephant graveyard :D

22. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That logo looks like it was done in Paint.

23. Chef Medeski

Chef Medeski Member

Sep 25, 2008
    NYC
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Tampa Bay's. Austin ain't bad, much better than original but still definitely a bit odd......

this one def. need a bit of work. Granted, who am I to talk, our logo is atrocious.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With NY Tampa, and Cleveland, its looking more like an easter league but I think the regional set up will be better for soccer as a rule.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Someone should proofread the front page of the new FCNY site.... but that's being unnecessarily nit-picky. Congrats FCNY! =-)
    And, back on topic, here's hoping there are two or three more teams approved for 2010/11! There certainly are enough interested markets out there....