Use Tuesday to plea with Nelson to stay

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by seanT, Nov 15, 2004.

1. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    In addition to celebrating at RFK tomorrow, I think we have a job to do:

Lobby Nelson to stay with the team.

To that end, we need lots of "Ryan please don't go" etc signs.

And everyone who gets a chance for high 5 or an autograph should say something.

2. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We would do better pleading with MLS to raise the cap...

3. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, while the MLS is the American Premiership, the MLS is minor league as compared to Europe. Nelsen, ultimately, has to look for that mix of money and destiny that is the right fit for him. Wouldn't blame him at all if he wants to test his skill in the EPL or in what was once appropriately called the English First Division. Godspeed, Nellie.

Someday, we're probably going to lose Peter Nowak, Freddy Adu & Alecko Eskadarian to Europe as well. Hopefully, someday, the MLS will be a true first class league and, then, we'll be able to retain the best of our best. Until then, cheers to Nellie for what he gave to us on the field.

4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    While I would love to see Nelsen stay, I think the decision to move on is more upon salary expectations, role, comfort with the team, and culture rather than some fan begging him to say.

I am not saying that we shouldn't applaud his hard work and talent.

5. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Steward is taking off then you'll have some money to work with. But that might not be what it's all hinging on.

6. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont worry, when I get to mls and play for DC I wont leave after we win the 8th title. :D

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If there can be a downside to winning MLS Cup, I think its that it sealed the deal for Nellie leaving.

Players play for many reasons but one of them is to win championships. Nellie has done that. He's been Best XI two years in a row and won the Cup. Simply put, he's done all he can do here.

Sure, he can try and win it again or win some other hardware, but on the list of "things to do," he's checked off one of the big ones. Pehaps if United had lost, he'd have been inclined to stay, thinking he had some unfinished business in trying to win the Cup. But, that's not the case.

Now, he can move on for bigger and richer things knowing that he arrive at United when they were down and under his captainship, brought them back to the top.

Mission accomplished. Now it's time to go make some large jack and try to make it on a bigger stage.

BTW, if this is the trade-off we have to make to win the cup, I'd gladly make it.

We lost Iroha to Europe after 97, Sanneh after 98. Both left having won some hardware. I see Nellie doing the same thing. And, like Sanneh, I see him coming back in a few years, hopefully to DC.

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank him for what he has done and wish him the best in the EPL.Let him know there is a coachng job or two over here when he is done.

9. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    The lobbying has begun. At Dulles tonight, I asked him to stay, he said"we'll see".
    Mark

10. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Should have told him that AFTER you handcuffed him to your arm RM :D

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I asked him to stay at the party last night. He said the same thing as above - "we'll see."

I remember peading with Tony Sanneh to stay after the Interamerican Cup down in Fort Lauderdale.

As much as we want our favorite players to stick around, none of us should feel we have the right to hold them back from pursuing their careers where they want to play. If Ryan wants to head across the pond while he's still got a chance, more power to him.

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I said good luck, and come to see us sometime :)

He only has several more years to make money in a league that actually pays, soccer players don't have their whole life to do their trade like most of us hehe

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I agree. he's 27, so he doesn't have a lot of prime years left. If he can head overseas and get significantly more money than MLS can offer, he has to jump at the chance.

If the dollars are close, I hope he considers staying around.

14. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Yep. I don't want to see him go, but if he can get a huge payday - you have to wish him luck and let him go.

Hopefully, MLS can make a competitive package.