USA's Official Copa America Roster Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Mglnbea, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: USA's Official Copa America Roster

Thoughts on the players that have been selected:

Kyle Beckerman--When he was a youth national team player, it looked like he might make a significant impact at the senior level. Since then, he has only received one cap for reasons better understood by those who have followed his career closer than I have. Now he get a chance in a major competion. (+)

Jonathan Bornstein--Despite playing well in his seven caps so far, and making various mistakes along the way, JB has also received many critical comments about his play. I see him as one of those players that is being groomed for 2010 (unlike, say Hejduk). This is a super opportunity for him to continue his progress for the next WC. (+)

Bobby Boswell--Others more knowledgeable than I can comment on his inclusion. I do know he has two previous caps and is younger by a year than Beckerman. (?)

Danny Califf--14 previous caps, now playing in Denmark. Has been compared to an orange traffic cone on many occasions, but looked good to me when he played for the Galaxy and the Quakes. Probably not the answer for 2010, but apparently he's available. (-)

Ricardo Clark--One of the players I, (and I presume others) definately want to see more of in an national team jersey. I hope he sees the field vs. Mexico on Sunday. Definite prospect for 2010. (++)

Jimmy Conrad--I like Jimmy's play a lot, but I honestly feel, and don't flame me for this, that he will be too old to make a difference for 2010. But he is in his prime RIGHT NOW and provides solid defensive leadership RIGHT NOW. (+)

Charlie Davies--Every other month, it seems, a movement/thread starts on BS promoting such and such a player who's tearing up such and such a league even if 99.9% of the posters have never actually seen said player play. Well, CD seems to be that flavor of this month, but now we all get to see for ourselves how he performs instead of engaging in some sort of never-ending fantasy debate about his pros and cons. Plus, since he's only 21, CD could be one of those 2010 propects that we are all hoping for. (+)

Jay DeMerit--I think a lot of US fans wanted to see more of him during the GC, so this gives Jay meaningful minutes in a meaningful competition (rather than a variety of relatively meaningless friendlies). (+)

Benny Feilhaber--We can all agree this is a positive selection, que no? (+)

Eddie Gaven--Crew fans can probably assess his current form better than I can. He seemed to be a bright prospect for national team duty during his youth national team adventures. Many fans seem to think he no longer belongs in consideration for senior team duty, but has he really been given much of a chance so far (only three caps)? EG is only 21, so he could also be another solid 2010 prospect. Hey, we all know that not every 15-year old protege becomes the next Pele, right? I, for one, welcome the chance to see him in this competition. (+)

Herculez Gomez--Now here's an interesting inclusion that many, many BS posters have called for going back to pre-2006 WC, but for some reason HAS NEVER BEEN CALLED UP! Now he's getting his chance and I will be very upset if BB leaves him on the bench for the duration of the tournament. We all are searching for help in the forward positon for the USMNT and don't understand why the same usual suspects keep getting called up over and over and over again. Gomez represents a real possible breath of fresh air. (++)

Brad Guzan--I hope he plays in at least one of the guaranteed three games that the US will have, so we can see how he performs in the unfriendly confines of a South American environment. Is he the next answer after Timmy Howard, or even a reasonable competitor for playing time minutes with TH? Or a complete washout? (+)

Eddie Johnson--OK, I admit, I'm a US fan and I'm an optimistic person by nature. I work with people as both a teacher and a coach so I don't really give up on people as easily as it seems to occur for others on these boards. Having seen what EJ has done, and scored, in meaningful WCQing games, and given his relatively still young age, I admit to not having given up on EJ yet. (+)

Kasey Keller--For experience and leadership, none of us can argue with his inclusion, can we? (Well, I've learned that BS posters can argue ANYTHING!) Still, he looked a little creaky at times vs. Canada the other day, didn't he? Still, an important inclusion given the relative youth of the overall roster. (+)

Sacha Kljestan--Chivas USA fans are in a better postion to evaluate his current stature better than I can. In reading over their board from time to time, however, it appears he has much to offer. Again, it is important to see what he can bring to the table in REAL games, like Copa and I'm anxious to see if he can measure up. (+)

Justin Mapp--Without the USMNT's involvement in the Copa, all of us BS posters would be endlessly debating Mapp vs. Beasley. Well, now is Justin's time, without Beasley even looking over his shoulder from a place on the bench, to bring it. I think we are all looking forward to see his real, not imagined, contributions. (+)

Drew Moor--Somebody help me out here. . .(?)

Lee Nguyen--Another youth national team player, and currently playing in Europe, that we all have high hopes for. Too old now for the U-20s but a definite Olympic and 2010 WC prospect. I hope he sees the field in Venezuela or else what will we all learn about him? (+)

Ben Olson--I don't see him as a 2010 possibility, but he, like Keller and Conrad and Califf, and, hell, even Twellman, provide some experience and veteran leadership for this roster. Plus, we all know he plays hardass ball and it's always good to have at least one prick on your team. (+)

Heath Pearce--Hey, he's playing in Europe, right? And everybody knows that all of the Euros are heads and shoulders above the MLS players, right? :rolleyes: (?)

Taylor Twellman--My only complaint about TT is that he does not seem to score in games that actually count for something. Unless I'm mistaken, his only WCQing goal came in a game after the US had actually qualified for the 2006 WC. I don't know but I think I would have selected Jeff Cunningham for a one more, last chance look, over TT. I know there's a lot of Twellman vs. Ching vs. Johnson vs. Wolff vs. Casey vs. Altidore vs. Donavan vs. Dempsey vs. pencil-in-your-own-choice on these boards. Maybe the US should just play a 4-6-0 kind of formation because NONE of our current pool of forwards seems to be lighting it up in a consistent, reliable, manner. (-)

Marvell Wynne--Like some others on the roster, I am very excited about his inclusion for the potential that he brings. A definite 2010 prospect. (++)

So, all in all, I'm excited about the US (finally) returning to Copa America. It is meaningful competiton in a difficult sporting environment and it gives US fans a chance to see whether or not some of our favorite prospects indeed measure up for serious consideration for 2010.

This team WILL advance to play a fourth game! ;)

2. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that a lot of people don't think this is the strongest roster the USA could put together. Personally, I think they don't live in the real world where the roster was made. There is a lot more going on than just the Copa America. And frankly, almost all of the other stuff is more important. That includes whatever is going on someone's personal life (could be your club is struggling, could be tiredness after a long season and major international tournament, could be lonliness for the family, could be something else) that makes them prefer to not go to the Copa. The Copa is an extra opportunity to get international experience, winning it is unrealistic, and would do very little for the USA. Sure it would be great for the guys who are already up to our eyeballs in soccer fandom, but would have little (not no, but little) impact outside of the inner circles in the US.

What I don't get is the people who think calling up guys from the U-20 team would make the roster significantly better. They are on the U-20 roster for a reason, they are young, not first team and gaining experience. The best of them is probably Adu and he has done nothing at club or U-20 level to suggest he is a magic bullet that would push the Copa America roster over the top.

3. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Copa America is going to be an eyeopener for some of the lesser expirienced guys. Judging from the lineup that Argy is bringing, these teams will mean it. As for just being international expirience, games like this could be a spring board to another league or mentally getting a player to another level. Taking three beatings is not good for either of those. Hopefully they get some good food and see the sights.

4. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly what National Pride is all about isn't it. Staying home in your g-damn own country and chillin with the family and watch the JV get smashed by the greatest in the world, while you play in the devolution that is the MLS . Are you guys reading what your typing? This ************** are representing the United States of America, and we're supposed to give a damn about their sadness about being away from their girlfriends. This is a vagina fest in this forum (and I mean no disrespect to the ladies, because If the men had half the pride of the USWNT had, we'd have a competitve squad in Copa) WHERE IS THE HEART! Where is the pride of wearing the red white and blue people! Where is the Beckham mentality of whereever, whenever my country needs me. Or the Kanoute spirit of condeming FIFA for not letting you play for the Country that he loves. Or the Ayala drive of RESTING when you RETIRE. This roster makes me sick to my stomach. Why don't we just back out of it, if your not going to go 100 percent with something don't do it all. And for gods sake dont put the lambs out there for a slaughter. It's not going to help em, thet'll chase shadows for 90 minutes, and be happy with a 2-nil. Thats victory for us a 2-nil loss, it's the truth and it's rediculous. All you fan boys can have a go at me, but at least give the satisfaction of aknowledging that the dive of the Men's National Team and their players to make impact in the world at large is absolutely lacking when compared to most every other soccer team that wears they're nations colors. To real greats don't try to get out of national service. Not only do the true greats go to South America; they go to win the g-damn WAR.... a buch of patsies running this sh!t !!

5. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not having an impact on the Inner Circle.... Not having an Impact on the Inner Cirlces... F*ck the INNER CIRLCE and the flawed marketing plans of the USMNT. This tired old act, has gone on way to much. babysitting these players, and not doing a thing unless it can create a buzz at home. It's retarded. You know what will help Soccer in the US, if we actually earn a Fifa 5th world ranking spot. Not bringing Don to Copa is never gonna get you there legitmatly. We can sit in the USA all day and j*rk eachother off at how good we looked against mexico. But when do we ever progress, we do strive for more. If not now when.... 2010, i guess that's it. I'd love to see us out of Concacaf, I can imagine the progress we would make as a country if we actually had to compete for a spot in the WC. Pressure make diamonds, and the only pressure landon donovan right now is how is gonna get is Jersey sales back up wit becks in town.

6. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Cheers Juggernaut for that effort. I wanted them in Copa America and I think this is what we need.

7. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you've got passion, I give you that.

Perhaps you are right about lambs to the slaughter but I doubt the guys who are getting called up and getting a shot to impress on the international stage think of themselves as lambs and the days when the USA went into a game thinking they can't win are gone.

Player A needs a break, Player B gets a chance. If player B takes that chance and makes something out of it, Player A becomes the answer to a trivia question ("Wally Pip and what soccer player...?"). People scream about Frankie Heyduk at right back, people say Cherundolo is too short, and now people are saying we can't give Marvel Wynne a chance because we wouldn't have the strongest possible team. This is exactly the time to give Marvel his chance, not a friendly in February vs Albania where there are 15 substitutons at the half. Marvel should be pretty pumped, and if he falls on his face over a 3 game tournament, Bradley knows to look elsewhere.

8. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Burton Albion tie Man u or something like that? Maybe they can pull of the impossible (tevez could get hurt, then Messi, then Crespo etc), and I'm sure the JV will play with pride and I'm not slighting them the least. But I think the whole situation is very depressing, maybe I have too high expectations for my team.

9. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Here is my hope. Lee Nguyen will be the young star of this tournament.

People just dont get it. We came in 4th place in our last Copa America with Mike Booo-urns on our team. All of our current players are better than him.

I really am looking forward to the Conrad/Demerit pairing. Both of those guys are gamers and they will not wilt under Argentinian pressure.

There are too many US fans on here complaining. You guys are the biggest losers I have ever come across. I am excited. More national team games should make you happy. Unfortunately, you are so insecure that you spew out venom at the USSF.

People need to understand what BB is trying to do. Here is the deal. The olympics are far more important for sports fans in the US than the Copa. So BB is essentially bringing a U-23 team sprinkled with a few vets. These guys are going to get an experience which should help them next year at the olympics. More Americans will be interested if the US were to win the gold medal than finishing 4th at the Copa America. That is the reality. The Fed is still trying to grow the fanbase.

10. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynne was not stellar last night vs the Revs. That's the problem having him as your 1st choice at RB before Moor!

I agree, if you are not going to send your best to represent you at Copa, then pull-out. Exactly what we should be doing in Iraq. Oh sorry that was a personal view.

11. Pereira_17

Pereira_17 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    USA
    I think that classifying the Gold Cup as a "World Class Tournament" is a stretch. The group stage was a joke, Mexico v Guadalope as a semi-final is hardly a world class matchup, and in terms of big name players there are hardly any. I know that there are some European based players but I really do not see any bonafide star players. This is not a knock on the US team but more so on the competition. Line up the Confederation's Cup next to the Copa America.

Confederation's Cup Competition
    Euro Cup Champ - Dare we say that team will be comparable to the team that Argentina is taking or does everyone feel that the Euro Cup Champ is not in the same league as the Argies?

African Nation's Champion - Hmm, they would not be as good as facing a Brazil (even without Kaka and Ronaldinho). Just look at the problems they are having getting their star players to play for their country (i.e. LuaLua, O. Martins, Mikel)

Copa America Champion - Will definitely be present at the Copa America

Gold Cup Champion - The US can win it with either rotational team present

Oceana - Australia have only beaten the South American team once in the past three World Cup Qualifiers, Once losing to Argentina and the other time to Uruguay

Asia - I don't think that it would be a stretch to say that they could be comparable to Paraguay, Uruguay, and Colombia.

Mexico is taking the same team except for (4) players. I think that Donovan has a case for not going as he has been over used in the NT but for Gooch and Dempsey I think they should have gone.

USA's 1st round games are extremely competitive:

Argentina - 1 of the top 5 teams in the WORLD
    Paraguay - World Cup qualifiers (15 players on the squad were present in Germany)
    Colombia - A good team that will not lay down and will definitely offer a very competitive game

The rest of the field has Uruguay, Brazil, Chile and players such as Robinho, Matias Fernandez, Diego Forlan, Mark Gonzalez, Jefferson Farfan, and Claudio Pizzaro who are main fixtures and indispensible players of Real Madrid, Villareal, Liverpool, and now Chelsea.

I don't think that the Gold Cup boasts that type of a resume. Also, South America boasts a number of World Cup Winners in Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay. Don't think that we can say the same for any other tournament aside from the Euro Cup and the World Cup...not even the Confederation's Cup.

12. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the loser. I ask for the same national pride that I have from the players, yet I'm the loser. I have no clue what your point is about having more games. Everybody UNDER F*CKIN stands wht BB is trying to do. He's a puppet for Madison ave. I know that. Your imput has only helped proven to me the blatent sheep mentality that exists with Men's soccer fans. Never questioning BB or Gulati's decisions, just assuming we'll if it makes USsoccer more popular with Baseball fans then hell it's gotta be good right. Mindless. .... BUILD A FANBASE, HOW BOUT WE BUILD A TEAM, having your best players pawning over David Beckham all summer aint helping.

13. BamBam

BamBam New Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Beaverton, Oregon
    {Hearing God Bless America and whistling Dixie}

Juggernaut. You are a real patriot. I share your disgust.

14. BamBam

BamBam New Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Is Juggernaut really Ray Hudson?

15. Big Football

Big Football Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Some beach in Florida,
    Club:
    Deportes Tolima
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just a bit of information regarding a CA opponent:
    In their last match before the Copa, Colombia beat Ecuador 3-1 in Barranquilla yesterday, goals were scored by striker Rodallega, defender Yepes and striker Perea.
    Remember this name: Mcnelly Torres, playmaker for Colombia.

16. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was I'd be typing with a Geordy accent.

17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, I guess that right now Jurgen Klinsmann is very happy that he didn't take the USMNT job. This kind of bs is just what we heard the issue was. Would he get the players that he needed for competitions?

After the WC Gulati made a point that we needed to play against tougher competition if we wanted to get better - we enroll in a tournament that will do just that and we send a B/C team. The guys that will be wearing the jersey will ge my total support and I'll be cheering for them - but they have been thrown into a ridiculous situation.

Ridiculous.

18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop cherry picking. How many guys on this roster are better than Waldo,Ramos,and Dooley?

19. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abbondanzieri; Zanetti, Ayala, G. Milito, Heinze; Verón, Mascherano, Cambiasso; Riquelme; Messi y Crespo serían los once para el debut del jueves ante Estados Unidos por la Copa América

These are the starting 11 against the USA on Thursday. May god have mercy on the USA.

20. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than Waldo and Dooley you betcha.

Better than Ramos? NO OTHER MIDFIELDER HAS EVER COME THROUGH ON THE US NATIONAL TEAM THAN TAB RAMOS.

Ramos was brilliant in 1995 copa america. and in france 98 was one of our better players. Tab Ramos is the GREATEST American midfielder EVER!

21. Klinsmannfan

Klinsmannfan Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, when the Klinsmann deal didn't go through, I expect USA futbol would not change much. I think Mr. Klinsmann foresee this limitation, hence he didn't take the job. Oh well let enjoy what we have, atleast they're still invite us to COPA. I don't expect much in 2010 either. Maybe the situation will change in 2014 or 2018 maybe real change will occur. Goldcup 2-2, 4-3PK US wins.

22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK,who on this US roster are better than Waldo and Dooley??

23. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot Harkes, who was voted co-MVP of the '95 tourney.
    Count me as one of those crazy people who has his eyes on the World Cup more than anything else. Looking at it that way, I don't think we gain that much from playing our A-team in this tournament three years away from the tourney in S. Africa.
    Three years is a loooong time in international football. You have to account for injuries and loss of form (Hejduk, Spector, Armas, Mathis, and Gibbs prior to WC06), which means today's A-team probably won't be our A-team in S. Africa. We need to be building as much depth as possible before the qualifiers start next year.
    It's all about the World Cup, and the CA is part of the preparation. It's all about enlarging the pool to get to S. Africa. We want to get to the World Cup and do better than three-and-out (which is what we did in France with much of the same team that placed fourth at the '95 CA).

24. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Yet another ignorant statement by you...

Ramos came on as a sub in every CA 95 match except the game vs Brazil...

Also, Waldo was on fire during that tourney....scoring 2 times against Chile to give us the 2-1W and once against Argentina....He also was a real threat against Brazil until they crunched him and sent him out of the game.

...and Ramos hardly made an impression in the 1998 WC....the only players to distinguish themselves in that tourney were Hejduk and McBride....afterward there were people talking about it being a mistake to save a roster spot for him (similar to JOB in the 2006 cycle).

25. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG

but, weren't they supposed to send a B,B+ team?