USA vs Sweden [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Femfa, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    First, I am a Rochesterian and a rabid Abby fan. Do Rochester Proud!

Second, at first I agreed with you what you said, but after some reflection I think April pulled Abby because she knew the game was out of reach of the Swedes. Why leave Abby in as a punching bag/blocking dummy? You also run the risk of Abby saying enough is enough and retaliating and getting a card.

Third, I think April knows what she has is Abby. If Abby doesn't play a significant role in each match than I may have to agree with you.

Fourth, I tix for the C-bus doubleheader and I am so psyched.

2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Trust me, no coach takes their best forward of that game out on the 55min of the game. 2-0 is a very dangerous score, the other team can easily score 2 goals with 35 minutes left.

I would have agreed with you , if the clock was at 67-70 minutes, not 55 minute,

April likes Parlow more than she likes Wamback, but I bet to her suprise Parlow ran out of gas......

Parlow is only a threat from air, however Wamback is dangerous from the ground and air, she has come a long way , and her partnership with Hamm has paid big dividends for Wamback, but for some reason April still thinks Wamback is a bubble player,

3. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Beulah's report. If you're a newbie to these boards, don't miss this report. The vets know what a treat her reports are.

http://www.beulahsports.com/

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    BWAHAHAHA!

The Side:
    Scurry: 8 (10-bell save late)
    Fawcett: 8 (solid as a rock)
    Chastain: 6 (effective before being sidelined)
    Sobrero: 4 (what happened??)
    Pearce: 5 (one good attacking run)
    Foudy: 6 (did not disgrace herself)
    Boxx: 8 (at this rate, she'll pass everbody)
    Lilly: 9 (who says she's too old?
    Hamm: 7 (great passing, lost ball too much)
    Wambach 8.5 (a monster in the air)
    Parlow: 8.5 (ditto)
    -------------------------------------
    Substitutes:
    Reddick: 7.5 ("the kid" done good!)
    Milbrrett: 3.5 (appeared lost)
    Wagner: 6 (the magic didn't materialize)
    --------------------------------
    Coaching:
    Heinrichs: 8 (Did what she needed to do, though her hand was forced by Chastain's injury)

5. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    i've been frustrated w/ parlow's game now and then, but there's no denying her goal-scoring prowess (nearly one every other game)...and most of those were with her feet. no knock on wambach, but i'd start parlow w/out hesitation.

6. BarbS

BarbS New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Sometimes the adrenalin rush of being in the game prevents you from knowing how hurt you are until the next day. It's certainly happened to me. The team trainer should be the one making that call, and they were probably reluctant to take out their star unless it was absolutely necessary.

7. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    But I don't see her landing so badly without being touched by Scurry. I saw it like she tried to jump over Scurry to avoid a collision but when Scurry hit her left left she totally lost her position in the air. In one replay you can clearly see her being turned around in the air.
    She was taped shortly after the collision that surely enabled her to play on.
    And as mentioned, adrenaline might be a bit up in a match against the World Champion.
    From what I read she will be playing against Korea.

8. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scurry has always been an agressive keeper. Clear to the un-biased observer in the replays, she went at the Swede, not the ball. Clear in her post-match comments that she not only meant to in the heat of the moment, it was, to her, a good strategy.
    Scurry should be extra-careful from her on. The refs have to be aware of everything we are. Anything hinting of a reckless challenge and she's in trouble.

After Rivalso collapsed at the corner flag during JK'02, when a ball grazed his face, FIFA took some action after the game even though the Ref at the time was fooled. That was basically for unsportsmanlike conduct. Make that unsportswomanlike and add to that intent to injure. Where is FIFA now?

9. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Aly Wagner is fat and looks slow and out of shape. She should be benched for the rest of the tournament.

10. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    this is not the miss america beauty contest, and she never was a small girl.

11. sspeed

sspeed New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Tempe
    Huh?

Obviously a very well though out and insightful observation. When will we be treated again to your pearls of wisdom??