USA vs Sweden (7/13 & 7/17)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Blaze20, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    She got hurt a week or two ago in a match. It's such a cluster**** of information surrounding her that people get everything mixed up. That's why someone needs to just grow some balls and say what's really happening. She wasn't availiable for today's match because of her BACK!

I just don't want her to end up like Boxer and get sent to the glue factory.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Was I the only one who saw her get hit in the head and look all daffy (again)last time she was on the tube? It ain't fair, but it ain't funny either.

And I would bet that if you compared the terms of the USWNT's insurance with that of the WPS teams, you'd see right away why she's cleared one (two) place(s) and not the other (third)...

Rapinoe made huge strides between the first and second game. She's not all the way back to where she was yet, but I now believe she will be.

Rampone is nowhere near. Nor is Tarp. The days when people could get back to playing at this level as soon as they were medically fit are over.

Kreiger looked very plausible to me-- I still say its Mitts job if healthy, but this looked like the future...

Schnurr had moments, but it still seems like Cox is the best option in Chaupny's absence. The team has fallen into a "win 1-0" consciousness, and both Cox and Beuhler are quite a bit too tentative about getting forward; but Cox' crossing ability is of real value.

I don't think we need to think about other forwards until LeRoux is a live option. We're fine IMHO. People act as though practice has nothing to do with confidence and chemistry.

I'm a little surprised to hear myself say it this early, but I think Lil's going to #6 for sure, albeit as a deep bench option. There's simply too many things she can do in different pinch situations not to take her. And she's losing about a step a decade, which gives her maybe a 5% chance at #7. Foudy once said she was going to play until 500 caps--that's perilously close to being more possible than funny at this point.

I've been quite impressed with the potential of Nikki Marshall the last couple of weeks-- a bit raw, but an impressive size/speed combination, and with a good feel for the spaces of the game. I can see her teaming with LePeilbet for a most of a decade easily...

Lindsey played poorly in the first Sweden match-- but everybody has a bad outing now and then. The second one she was fine. She gets worn down after about 75 minutes, but it shows more in her face and body language than her results. Beuhler hit the wall. Lindsey kinda just sucked it up and went on chasing. And I think part of what these two matches were about was Pia reminding folks what shape they are expected to be in by not subbing folks for fatigue if they weren't recovering from something.

I think the future in the center MF is playing on the U20's somewhere. They are definitely a kiddie team, but with skills like none I've seen before... a year from now several of those people may be doing things they haven't dreamt of yet.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally good/thoughtful post as usual. I agree that Rapinoe looked better on Sat than the 1st game. She looked to combine a bit more but still has work to do. And recovering full fitness after meningitis is no joke.

I just don't see what others see in Schnur. She isn't particularly speedy, can't seem to connect a pass (at least not this season and definitely not this wknd), and only ok 1v1 defending. Ok works at club level but not the international level. iirc, Sweden went at her much more than they did Krieger and there's a reason for that.

It seems you were much more impressed w/ the U20 central midfield play in Germany than I was. I haven't been that impressed by them. The wings have speed and some skill (Bywaters/Hayes) and Leroux is ready for a full WNT camp but the central mids? meh. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

4. Hobeyho

Hobeyho Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, the only U20 central mid that stands out is Amber Brooks, but she looks like a pure holding CM. I don't see her as a box to box'er.

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    You may not have noticed I said "somewhere." :(

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahaha

7. Fred19

Fred19 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I really liked Kreiger's play on Saturday. She seemed fast, got into the attack as well as any back I have seen on the WNT in a long time. She defended well one on one. I hope we see more of her.

Did anyone else notice that Buelher doesn't win many balls in the air? Once Rampone is fully recovered, I think she is a better option at center back.

Don't forget Heath in the midfield once healthy. She has some mad skills. Speaking of midfield, Box is incredible.

Amy R. looked very dangerous last week. With her speed, defenses will not be able to play a high back line against us providing more space behind the midfield. She also seemed to be more active. I wondered if she has worked hard on her fitness.

I was also really impressed with all the different ways the US attacked this week. Our offense is so much more dynamic than it used to be. I would have loved to see what Pia would have done with the 2003 world cup team.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    YES! Marian Dalmy is playing extremely well. She has become a leader on the team. In fact she wore the Captain's arm band last game.

She defends well. Reads the game well. Makes excellent, smart overlapping runs down the right side and is responsible for several key goals scored by her team mates this year.

The Red stars lead the league in least amount of goals allowed. It is due to a great defense of Markragf, Engen, Dalmy, Spilger and now Asante. With Loyden in goal.

If you want players that win the ball in the air. Then get Dalmy and Engen on the USWNT.

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

imo, brooks is a mediocre mid. i am not impressed by her.

otoh, i have been impressed by nairn in the past, and pia obviously likes her. but i have not been impressed by her last two games.

noyola has impressed me. she just needs to get rid of the ball quicker. but her reading of the game and some excellent passing have gotten my attention.

i don't think any of them is ready to step up to the uswnt level. someone in the wps or on the u23 team has to be the solution.

10. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    well like some folks out there would say, we gotta defend home turf with our best players and all that jazz. if not now, then when? it always looks like other countries are smartly using us for their development, instead of the other way around. i said before...imo we don't kill our rep from losing/tying to great teams on friendlies---when the reward is development. hell, we tied once with mexico on a 3 game series some time back, but who remembers that?