Pre-match: USA vs Portugal, June 22nd

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I want Dempsey in the middle connecting with midfield, not up front trying to hold the ball alone or running onto passes. Not his game.

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    With a fanbase of 33 mil. I dont think that will make any difference......

3. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    I am about to take off to watch the game at a local pub.

It's time to kick some ass!!!

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was feeling really bad about the game, but I went out in the car and a song by America came on the radio. Then, in the store, I heard a Wilco song. Suddenly, I feel better.

As for what I'm wearing, I decided to go with the qualifying shirt since I wore the qualifying shirt for the 2002 US-Portugal game.

6. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I have no clue about Vegas and such but came across this tweet

P. Schrager @PSchrags · 3m
    My Vegas guys tell me there's a ton of "late, big, big action" coming in on the US right now in international sports books.

P. Schrager @PSchrags · 1m
    Vegas source says Portugal went from being 60% favorite to win to 50% to win in matter of hours. "Shocking" amount of late action on the US.

trip76, Mr Martin and ImaPuppy repped this.
  7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I hope we can press against Portugal early -- we need to take the action to them. This is a team, I think, that if they are on their back foot, find it hard to find themselves. But if we give them time and possession, can carve you open. Will be interesting to see our approach...

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dempsey wears a mask, it needs to be this one:

[​IMG]

terps repped this.
  9. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    I sure hope the Wilco song wasn't "I am trying to break your heart"! , "Ashes of American Flags" or " Impossible Germany"

10. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    It's more of a counter-attacking team. Sure they have some technical players, but allowing guys like Nani and Ronaldo to get behind us would be far worse.

11. Acekiller

Acekiller Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I don't understand why many well-read and well-studied US fans keep saying this. Wanting to "take it to Portugal," and "be aggressive." Certainly, different people = different opinions. But the name of the game is advance. Portugal MUST win against us. They know this. The longer we can deny them that first goal, the more desperate they become, the more aggressive and more spaces we'll see. I want to see a very conservative team for us with minimal open spaces. We need to be very smart on when we go forward. As the match goes into the 65+ minute, assuming that POR will begin to fade physically due to a combination of over-exertion and the environment, that's when we put our foot to the pedal a bit and put in a couple subs that can really put them on their back foot (Green?). If POR scores first because we give them too much space, I smell some 9-10 men behind the ball action the rest of the way for us, and I don't think we have the skillset or manpower to over come that. So...conservative, smart, and wait until the last third of the match to pick it up a notch. Go US!!!

12. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I really hope Dempsey does not start up top alone. He had very bad games up top alone when he had to fill in there because of injuries for Spurs. He is just not a lone striker type guy. I fear our offense will be completely impotent if he does.

Mr. Bandwagon repped this.
  13. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I booted up football manager pressed "continue" and got a news update that Ronaldo is out 3 months with a torn hamstring. Hoping that's a good omen. ;)

nancyb and Marko72 repped this.
  14. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    My one big fear is that if we really start taking the game to them that there will be one time where we just get too lazy defensively and Ronaldo or someone else will get it on a quick turnover and they'll punch it in for an easy goal.

Because I know Klinsmann is in the room with them right this very second preaching "Attack, attack, attack"

Huge fear for me right now.

15. xsosx

xsosx Member

May 27, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Honestly, at this point in time, I do not believe that is what Klinsmann is saying.

17. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. AirMe

AirMe Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic: Where the heck did this Algeria team come from? Or is S. Korea that bad?

19. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's saying..."I just got off the phone with Jogi and he says we just need a draw today to advance..."

20. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Algeria is really good, Korea is about as good as maybe Panama or something.

21. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, not this?

[​IMG]

22. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Algeria looked really good against Belgium.....and, South Korea might be that bad.

23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, we need a wall mount.......

mike4066 repped this.
  24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Sucker born every minute. They want that US money.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    US take a red card early. Ref got the call from Batter. One goal disallowed, one PK given. Dempsey off with broken jaw. US forced to suffer through 2 CR7 goal celebrations. Bradley 2014 officially becomes Donovan 2006.

US lose 3-0.

Whew. Just had to get that out of the way.