USA Vs Mexico Pregame

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Julius, Oct 26, 2003.

1. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    The Game will serve as a preparation for both countries for next year CONCACAF Olympics qualifying.
    Also Mexico is 3th in the region just behind Canada and The Sammer Girls

I agree regardless the result, Mexico will benefit more in this match since they will try out more younger players.

This match is special for me becouse I finally get to see Heather Mitts on the pitch. For this reason only the USA team will do better this time :)

2. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. :)

3. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Fire Heinrich's, and while you're at it dump Hamm, Foudy, and Fawcett too. It's obvious Mitts didn't make the squad because they were afraid she'd pull attention away from the primadonnas. I wanted to slap Mia for crying after the Gernany match that the players on the roster were the ones who deserved to be there, What crap. That right there is a sign of guilt that she was involved with roster decisions. Milbret has been a better player than Hamm for the past 8 years. Mia's role should have been as a sub. Foudy and Fawcett should have never made the roster. Chastain has been the true team Captain since the run up to '99, I think she'd make a great coach right now.

4. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth

To include Shannon Boxx into the team was the idea of Chastain and Julie (based on the article i read) and it turned out to be great, i, for one don't mind if it mainly because the player will make the team better.

5. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    Umm, did you watch the WC? Mia was one of the top five players we had out there. Milbrett has been in a horrible slump for the past two years. Joy is still the best defender we have on the team, even if she has lost a step. Foudy should have been coming off the bench. She just isn't in out top 11 IMO.

As far as the roster. If the extent of some of the injuies were known before hand, some different decisions should have been made. But, no matter who was on the roster, the probability of the last three players actually playing wasn't going to be that high.

6. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    I don't see a problem with asking for imput from veteran players. I coach a high school baseball team, and I always get the captians impressions of the try-outs before making a decision. I don't base my choices completely on what they say, but I do take it into consideration, especially when trying to decide between one or two players. "The 4" have been playing international soccer for half their lives. I'm sure they know a good soccer player when they see one, maybe they saw something thte coaching staff missed. I don't think it is a big deal.

7. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth

she can stay with the team until whenever she decides to leave, she is too good to be dumped

8. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    But it becomes a problem when they primarily select the team.

Foudy should have come in every game as sub, she was so-so in the WUSA in 2003 and played crap during the 2003 WWC.

April is too personally involved to make correct roster decisions for the USWNT.

There is difference between advise and actual participation in selection of the team.

Boxx, Bivens Wamabck should have been playing for the USWNT for the whole year(2003), and not selected just before the world cup. Players have to play as a team to build chemistry.
    (Foudy was finally over ridden by Hamm and chastain on Wamabck and Boxx and then AH named them with Bivens on the WC roster)

Isn't it amazing AH didn't select till the last minute, the 2 players who shined for her in the 2003 WWC.

Finally, even a fool could see that Wamback, Bivens and BOXX were the heroes of WUSA in 2003, and Milbertt and Foudy were duds.

Finally, a damn fool could see that Wamback, Bivens and BOXX were the heroes of WUSA in 2003, and Milbertt and Foudy were duds.

9. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Boxx, Bivens Wamabck should have been playing for the USWNT for the whole year, and not selected just before the world cup. Players have to play as a team to build chemistry.
    (Foudy was finally over ridden by Hamm and chastain on Wamabck and Boxx and then AH named them with Bivens on the WC roster)

10. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    You have no idea how much power the vets had in choosing the team. You weren't there. What you are saying is pure conecture.

11. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    You can't assume that I don't know what I am talking about.

I might not have been there myself, but I know of people, who know these things.

Also, if you don't belief me that's o.k, then read what WALDO says:

12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As much as I dislike April's coaching style, or lack thereof, I do NOT believe she is stupid.

It would take a stupid person to accept a position like head coach without complete control of player selection.

Players should have NO say, except for advice when asked, in team selection.

Since April is NOT stupid the players did NOT choose any part of he team. They may have suggested players and some may have advocated certain players BUT the team selection was April's and no one else's. She has total blame and total credit for the personnel chosen.

Anything other than total control says that April is just a stooge and that is something even her detractors have never said with any conviction.

13. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Re: USA Vs Mexico [R]

This is a PRE-GAME Thread for USA/Mexico match Sunday. I forgot to mention that. Sorry

14. humstein

humstein New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    When Dallas is over The real questions must be asked

What a useless game. I'll watch it only because I love this team.
    I hope this is the last game of kick and run soccer we get to see.
    The issue isn't mainly the coach or the players its the dinosauer style of soccer. The 2004 coach should show every player at the next camp a copy of the of the goal against Sweeden that featured Abby beating the defense, passing to MIA, who intelligently paseed to Lilly, who scored the goal. This is what our USWNT should be about- team play, knowing where your teamates are, and passing the ball to them - not 30 yard prayers hit into the middle of penalty box, or crosses hit right to the goalkeeper.

15. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Oh, I disagree. It's a very useful game in my eyes. With a tie or a loss it will be April's swansong.

16. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Could the webmaster of this board please edit the first post and title on this thread (that's my post) so that it will mention that this is a PRE-GAME Thread for USA/Mexico match Sunday. thanks a lot

17. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Alphonse?

I knew that you could use le proper English. I'm beginning to think that you are Alphonse in le drag.

19. soccermonkey19

soccermonkey19 New Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Mississippi
    Boxx and Bivens didn't play with the Nats for the whole year, because the WUSA season was when they really proved themselves.

Abby WAMBACH did play for the Nats for a good portion of the year, except when she sucked it up for a few games and April cut her to get her back on track.

And you're nuts if you think Foudy didn't want Shannon and Abby on the team.

20. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Really? Have you watched any games the past two years? Milbrett has been in a major funk and Mia has been playing some spectacular soccer.
    Your comment on this is so far off that you obviously have not seen either player play recently.

In regards to your "Mia picked the team" comment... what?

21. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Yeah but when you just throw out a comment like "these 4 players picked the team" and then don't back it up then it becomes really hard to put any value on it.

22. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Please read carefully to what I actually said.
    I said Approved by "The 4" not Picked by "The 4," hence your comment has no value to me either.

23. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.

Saying "i know someone who knows something" hardly makes a difference. It's still speculation. For all we know you could be making it up. Not that i'm accusing you of making it up. I'm simply saying a comment like that hardly holds any validity. It shouldn't then be a surprise that it's authenticity is questioned.

brilliant. But how do semantics change what you implied?

You yourself implied that they more that “approved” the picks.

24. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    You accused me of saying that, I said "The 4" picked the team.
    Picking the team means, "The 4" directly selected the team, and I never said that.

I said what I said, and I will say it again.
    "the team is/was chosen by AH (Ms. Fabulous) when only approved by the "The 4." Foudy, Hamm, Lilly and a 4th member.

Of course, that still means AH took their advise, their say, their approval, but it still doesn't mean that "the 4" picked the team.

Finally, what I implied was that "The 4" have too much say, and not that they actually picked the team.

WALDO was more blunt, he said that "The 4" actually run the team.