USA vs Mexico,2/11: Win, Loss or Draw

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Pass-n-Go, Dec 21, 2008.

1. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    I'm expecting Columbus to bring it harder than ever after watching that SG grow this year. I'm expecting flares. Tifo. Chants the entire game. I loved watching the playoff game at Cbus, and I'm expecting that x2.

It can be nothing but MASSIVE.

Just making the WC isn't good enough. Anything less than 2 is unacceptable, and frankly, 1st should be expected. Honestly, I'm more worried by a fully healthy Honduras side right now. They're confident, and extremely talented.

This game is being played in what should be a cold, very-Pro US crowd. Mexico is in a certain slump, and this is our chance to put a nail in the coffin. If we dominate this game, Sven could be shown the door. I'd like to take at least a point from Azteca this go-round, and would love to see Mexico in as much turmoil as possible.

2. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

Who is Mexico losing for the first game ? I can't be arsed to look really but I know Mexico loses 2 players for the COlumbus game. Here is a question. Which team will the suspensions affect more?

3. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Gerardo TORRADO & Carlos VELA will not be there.

4. AngryMobRun

AngryMobRun Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston/Dallas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be a lot more Mexico fans this time.

5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pessimistic. Sven scares me (God knows why).

There is little evidence Mexico is playing well heading into the game.

However, maybe they won't think they are Green soccer gods because of it, and actually respect us somewhat, and turn up and play.

On the other side, its February in Columbus.

7. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win 2-0.

Howard stand on his head, we get a set-piece goal, and Donovan scores on a late counter.

Come on: this in cold weather and with a real US crowd advantage, where the number of Mexican fans should equal the number of beers consumed by Sam's Army.

What am I missing here?

8. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This cannot be stated enough. Probably the worst pairing of outside backs I've seen on the US in a game that (somewhat) matters in the past decade.

Honestly, I'm trying to think of who's been worse...maybe somebody with Greg Vanney or Mike Burns?

9. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nostalgia and Armas are like two positively charged ions.

My request is no Mastroeni. He hasn't looked that great that past three games, regardless of his midfield partner.

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    This has been Mexico's achilles' heel against us. However, I think they have finally figured out that we are a decent team and it doesn't take God shining down on us for us to beat them.

I think the last Gold Cup loss to us changed their way of thinking.

I expect a team that comes to Columbus feeling as though they have little to lose, rather than the team that used to arrive in Columbus with the weight of a nation on its shoulders.

11. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Your request will be granted. Mastroeni is suspended for that match. To add to my predictions, I predict you and others will feel pangs of nostalgia for Pablo after watching Bradley and Kljestan chase around like headless chicken.

12. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    mexico will have the weight of the mexican people on their shoulders..

their media will make sure they're constantly reminded about the record....

usa gets NO media pressure whatsoever, and basically NO public pressure ...

13. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the reminder about Mastroeni and the last match (forgot those cards rolled over to the next round.)

If it were Bradley and Clark or Bradley and Edu, I'd agree - there's too much redundancy in the playing style from what I've seen this past year or so (I thought Bradley-Edu had more promise.)

However, I'm enticed by the Bradley and Kljestan pairing, and from what I've seen thus far, they complement each other better than any other central mid pairing.

Also, I'm very, very curious to see if Torres gets a call-up for this match.

14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I think USA will win 2-1. Baby Bradley will take down a player in the box and Mexico scores a PK

This game will show us little as to where we are as a team. It's bound to be very cold and Mexico will just not be in this game. Problem is that should we win, people will read more into our state of readiness then they should/ The temperature will be the real story for this game.

I know everybody does it but I think locating games to give the home team an environmental advantage kind of sucks. Too bad FIFA couldn't stop all teams from doing this kind of thing. Mexico at altitude and smog, USA freezing out warm climate teams. Warm climate teams cooking us ... it should all be stopped

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    What about those darn fans with all their yelling and all? We need to get rid of them as well.

16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Nope, just beat them straight up without counting on the cold temperatures to do it for you.

17. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not like we didn't play them in Columbus in Sept. 05' It is also not like we are playing them in Nome either.

18. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repeat after me boys and girls:

Crew Stadium = La Bombanera

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4HAvzIdTwg[/ame]