USA vs Mexico 04/27/05 - First hand accounts from Azteca

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nyrmetros, Mar 25, 2005.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Make that two rep points.

(one for her, one for the BF; get your heads out of the gutter!!!)

2. Dusky

Dusky Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Southern Kali
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No... it's... "Two good reasons to root for the USA." And two good reasons, indeed. :)

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Great job on the photo/video log, and the entire webpage itself. :)

4. yezenia

yezenia New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    AZ

Does this mean I can start charging for my pictures too? :)

5. yezenia

yezenia New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    AZ

Awww Thanks I always wanted to be a cool grandma someday.

6. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    There aren't any misconceptions-- just different positions in the stadium.

I'm guessing you were closer to the field than I was, but from my seats, I could see both the beer you're talking about and the cup thrown over into the Mexican section to the left (probably occured behind or over you?)

Although there were a few things thrown before that throughout the match, from my seats, it was clear that we didn't get drenched with beer until an American threw his beer at the Mexicans.

Like you, I don't really care that it happened-- but in at least this one isolated circumstance, we started it, not them.

7. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging from the TV replay, when the USA flag was being unfurled after the goal you can see fluid falling from above onto the flag and from actually touching the flag after the game in the hotel room, it was wet.

So yes, there were things thrown into the section.

I personally saw something fly by me going left to right in the front row. And it wasn't beer or a cup. It was something (thinking it was wooden or plastic), but I never knew exactly what it was. It was going to fast for me to get a good look at it. Since Lewis just scored the goal, I just pulled up the Baby flag from off of the seats in front of me and began to unfurl it in the case that more liquid would be dumped on us from above and elsewhere.

Just another day in the life of a USA fan.

8. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Yeah, I don't think anyone's argued there wasn't.

9. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
  10. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard about a loaded diaper hitting someone on the shoulder (but thankfully did not, um, deploy its cargo) after the game, but don't know who was the actual target.

Had a blast at the game with everyone and getting to put some faces to names. Glad that everyone has made it safely back.

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    Same here. It was great to see everyone. Looking forward to seeing you again at the next one.

I definitely felt something raining down on us after Lewis' goal before the flag went up, but it was pretty minor.

I was pleasantly surprised how accessible the city was. Good food, nice inexpensive hotels, easy to get around, and friendly people. I'm definitely going back.

Azteca has lost some of its mystique. Here's to 1000+ next time.

13. BanglaBlue

BanglaBlue Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    That "Remember Twin Towers" sign: was it a respectful reminder, or celebratory? i.e. something terrible happened and we're happy, or sad?

14. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Remember Twin Towers" was not something respectful. After a sixty second cut done by 10 of us (US supporters) for ESPN Deportes; this sniveling Mexican (must of been teenager) runs up to us and shoves this banner in our face.

If I didn't believe he was ignorant, I would have thought he wished he took part with the terrorists.

All in all though, most Mexican fans were respectful of the US. Only a small percentage were #$%# like this guy.

15. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I was depressed that our team didn't play as well as we know they can, It was a fantastic soccer experience to witness a game in Azteca. It was equally as excited to be there this time as it was for my first visit there in 2001. I can't say that for many other first-time experiences. Add in that the three-day trip was fairly cheap, I spent a grand total of $725, and it is an easy decision to return in 2009. And, I saw ways to save even more money next time. I wish I was a heavier drinker so that I could have taken advantage of the @ $ 1.35 quarts-sized bottles of beer people bought at a local grocery store and were drinking on the Galeria Hotel's rooftop pool area.

16. firefly

firefly New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Libertyville, Ill.
    I took my 12 year old son to Mexico City (I believe he was one of only two kids there). Before we left, after reading these boards, I was telling him that he is the bravest kid in the U.S. and that I was the most foolish father. I'm told that courage and stupidity usually go hand in hand.

We had an absolutely fantastic time, however.

The things I will remember most are 1) anticipation before the game, 2) 110,000 people going nuts after the first goal, 3) the feeling we had when we scored, 4) how cool the police were (I tried to get the head policeman to trade hats after the game, but he wouldn't. However, it sure cracked him up and several of the police that saw it), 5) the great sportsmanship exhibited after the game by our section and the Mexican fans next to us, but most of all I remember 6) the tear in my son's eye when the final whistle blew. :eek: He is definitely hooked for life.

Thanks to all that went to Mexico, as it was a great group of people. We will definitely be there again in four years.

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    You should be. You're a Metro fan. :)

18. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to Matt and Greg for helping me carry 20 1-litre bottles of Sol from "OXXO" back to the Galeria. Fortunately, Greg speaks very good Spanish and was able to explain to the clerk what we were doing when we started bringing up multiple bottles. When we got back to the Galeria, the mgmt stopped us for a minute and as I understand the story (I went on up in the elevator with a box full of beer), we were told that alcohol is not normally allowed on the roof top, but they would make an exception today.

Glad to see some more travelers post their thoughts, good reading.

19. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    Yes major props to you! After paying $6 for a margarita I was happy to swig 40 oz at a cheaper rate! Fortunately, when Germany rolls around there will be a permanent Keg fixture in my flat for our non-stop party!

20. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Mad Props to all of you who represented. You are much braver than I am.
    Thanks for sharing a first hand, balanced view of how you were treated.
    There's nothing like first hand experience.

I'm really glad to hear that the overwhelming majority had a great time and that you made it a point to share your good experiences because so often we only hear about the negative ones.

21. yezenia

yezenia New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    AZ
    I saw your son, we were sitting right next to you on the bus and he looked so excited. He's a cute kid and I'm glad that we have another fan for life! Hope to see you guys next time.

22. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were there and second everything said so far--my husband said he felt safer in Mexico City than he did a while back when he attended a KC-Raiders game in Raiders stadium wearing KC shirt.

It was weird, though, having riot police all around. 99,950 Mex fans were friendly enough; a few idiots among the crowd, as always.

BTW, the Mexicans are still bitching about the "Cold War" game in Columbus in Feb. THAT was strategy, USSF.

23. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc

i gotta ask, you're not the crazy a$$hole who busted his face whilst diving for a corona covered soccer ball are you?

24. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was not the crazy guy diving for the free ball. The guy who dove for the for the ball, is English. Ohh wasn't me either :D That was awesome, he wanted that damn ball hell or high water. Ed survived the flank attack.

25. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    Man, that happened right in front of me....if he had held onto the ball the first time he wouldn't have risked the trip to the hospital.....

two things we know now:
    1) He's not a keeper
    2) I didn't spill my beer!