USA vs. DPR Korea [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by soccerchick584, Sep 27, 2003.

1. soccerchick584

soccerchick584 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    USA vs. DPR Koread [R]

So it's North Korea and the U.S. tommorow, and the girls are ready. A win will gurantee the USA a spot in the Quarterfinals, so you know they will be bringing it all. Korea are looking to upset the U.S. It'll be a great game for sure.

2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Should be interesting. North Korea look really good and entertaining, but haven't shown enough composure/experience in finishing chances. They need to win, and preferably well while the US only needs to draw and I'm sure will play their physical game.

I reckon it will be 3-1 to the US, but a tight game with the US scoring a couple late on from set pieces after an early Hamm goal, and the Koreans missing a a few golden chances to go in front and not making their superior possession count.

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Win the match and win the group -- and face Norway in the quarter final round.

I'd like to see the girls get a comfortable lead on NK, then pull 3 key players to avoid injuries.
    Stamina is not a factor, the whole team could probably run for 8 hours and party for another 8 and never know the difference. But injuries are another matter.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. sj_soccer_guy

sj_soccer_guy New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Ok, I am getting worried about this. It will be a hard game, but with the Sweden v DPR K. result, maybe it is not that bad. The US needs a win or tie, both I guess would be ok. But a... oh I just can't say it.

Anyway, I am knda worried about the game today, but I am really worried about the next game. The US will get by this game, and then they will be the top of the group, that means they will play Norway in Foxboro on Wed. But the US will have travelled from Wash. to Columbus, and then on to Foxboro over a weekened. Where Norway went to Foxboro on Friday, and then demolished the Korea Rep. (Ok it was expected I guess). Now they get to hang out in Foxboro for a couple day getting sleep and practice. While the US team has wandered all over the eastern seaboard, and have one day less of rest.

I still believe that the US will beat Norway, but I am worried.

In other news the Sweden v. Brazil should be very interesting. Brazil proved they are a team to look out for after the game with Norway, but now after the game with France, I don't know. It seems that Brazil is a little inconsistent to say the least.

7. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Wow, interesting lineup! Five defenders, 3 middies, and Wambach and Millbrett. I wonder if Bivens goes to the right midfield position? This will be a new combination of folks. Matchtracker lists:

Scurry, Sobrero, Reddick, Pearce, Fawcett, Bivens, Roberts, Wagner, Lilly, Wambach, Millbrett.

I figure the idea is that they give folks a well-earned rest and they can substitute in more attacking presence if needed at the half.

This should be fascinating!

mingyung

8. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Indeed. Bivens is playing right mid. Very pleased that Hamm, Foudy, and Boxx are being rested. If Hucles didn't have a fracture in her leg, I imagine she would've started in place of Lilly.

Why Sobrero is playing LB instead of Reddick, however, is beyond me.

9. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sweden 3 - Nigeria 0

Sweden won their game, so this means that the cheating FIFA has rigged it so the all the US has to do is not lose by 5 goals. What a disgrace, these group games should be played at the same time. I can picture a scenario where the US is down by a goal in the 75th minute, and April pulls out some players to either give them a rest or prevent them from getting a second yellow. This give the US a huge advantage by allowing for rested players in the quarterfinals.

This is such bull*#*#*#*#*#!!

10. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    With what little I'm able to catch (game is on TV behind me), NK is keeping posession of the ball pretty well, US squandered a corner kick earlier.

11. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    14th minute, freekick for the US, gathered by the keeper.

12. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Beautiful center, close into the box. Ref rules a PK due to handball from NK. (it seems that way, can't tell, small screen)
    Wambach (?) to take the shot.

GOAL
    GOAL
    GOAL US.
    17th min

13. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Where was the handball? I didn't see anything. Just saw the replay. Nothing.

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    WTF was the cardable offense?????? They've shown the replays several times and I don't see a handball.

15. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    That was the oddest card I've ever seen. There was no handball. At least Abby got to take the PK cause that was a beautiful finish.

16. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    It looks like Wambach kicked on goal, and it bounced off the hand of a NK defender. Ref apperently ruled it as handball. Pulling up matchtracker to verify.

Matchtracker shows a yellow card against YUN In Sil. Doesn't state if it was a handball or not though

Yellow card to Wambach in the 22nd

17. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Damnit!!! I thought this game started at 1:45 Pacific Time. My guide says the game is on ABC from 1:30 to 4:00 AZ Time. I'm away from the TV right, so I wonder if my local ABC station is showing the game tape delayed. :mad:

18. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nope, it's live. 15:45 ET was the start time.

19. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    That pisses me off. I checked on the Yahoo TV listings and my guide on my TV and both say the pre-game starts at 1:30 Pacific Time. If they screwed me over, then I'm going to write a complaint letter to the local station.

20. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    NK still pressing forward, few chances. Missed a grand one-two chance to get the ball upfield a moment ago.

21. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    NK freekick from the near side (according to TV camera)
    RI Un Gyong had a good header, probably a half foot at least above the US defender, just wide of the goal.

Their best chance in a while, imho.

22. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Blown centering cross in the 34th by the US. Good clearing by NK.

36-37' US defender falls in the box, no call by the ref. Can't tell what happened from here.

23. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Milbrett looking like she fouled a NK player

24. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yellow card for US #16 Milbrett in the 40th

25. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Cat Reddick is a workhorse, chasing down players.

Milbrett gets a yellow.

Frankly, about time.

Ref's fault for not calling other fouls first, though, Millie started to get away with more.